Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,122x in 7,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Your avatar photo reminded me - probably twenty-five years ago I was up visiting relatives in Tillamook Oregon, and they had a small museum there, crammed with lots of fascinating historical memorabilia. On one wall they had a large glassed-in display of pistols, mostly very old, and as I recall a sign mentioned that most of them had been dug up in the area...yet they mostly appeared to be in very nice condition, despite their age and the circumstances of their discovery. Why so many firearms ended up in the ground there is anybody's guess.

When I was a newlywed, living and stationed in San Diego in the early '70s, my wife and I were browsing around a small antique shop in Poway, and I spotted an old Mexican-made Bowie knife, with a hawks head design on the butt in a display case. The owner told me that it had been found behind the wall of an old house that was being demolished, and there were some stains on the blade that might have been blood...? They wanted sixteen dollars for it, which was more than I had to spend on myself at the time, but the wife went back later and bought it for my birthday.

Women. As Al Bundy said, "Can't live with 'em, can't herd 'em all into Canada"...but sometimes you get the feeling they almost come close to understanding us.
    Glad you got the knife, your wife sounds very nice. Maybe all them guns underground are the result of gun control talk after the civil war!

I gotta get me one of them metal detectors!
    There is no God but Resister and Refugee is his messenger’.

Book of Democrat Things, Chapter 1:1

2. The Following User Says Thank You to resister For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (02-20-2017)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    That book I mentioned on another thread, about people whose livelihood is acquiring "found" objects, contained several chapters on people who excavate old wells and the areas beneath where outhouses stood, a hundred-and-fifty years ago and longer. They pay homeowners, mostly in Eastern and New England cities and towns, a fee to dig in their yards - I've forgotten how they determine where the outhouses once stood - and they find jewelry, coins, and lots and lots of old, collectible bottles that either accidentally (in the case of the jewelry and coins) or deliberately ended up down there and were buried beneath many feet of dirt and filth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privy_digging
    Yes!!!

My father told a story of when he was five, living in Valley Center, KS. and one of his uncles gave him a real pistol. His grandmother took it away and threw it down the outhouse pit. That was the end of that. I bet a lot of interesting things could be excavated from those old sites.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

resister (02-21-2017)

+ Reply to Thread