User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: P.J. O'Rourke on Libertarianism

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,494x in 55,030 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

P.J. O'Rourke on Libertarianism

In P.J. O'Rourke on Trump, Populism, and "How the Hell Did This Happen?" he explains what libertarianism means to him. I tend to agree.

"I consider myself primarily to be a libertarian," says P.J. O'Rourke, the author of the new book How the Hell Did This Happen?: The Election of 2016. "I am personally conservative [but] I always think of libertarianism as basically being an analytical tool, not an ideology per se.... When you look at something that happens, especially in politics, you look at something that happens, you say, 'Does this increase the dignity of the individual? Does this increase the liberty of the individual? Does this increase the responsibility of the individual?' If it meets those three criteria, then it's probably an acceptable libertarian political policy, or lack thereof, because we like to subtract some things from politics too."

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Newpublius's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,123x in 2,793 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    In P.J. O'Rourke on Trump, Populism, and "How the Hell Did This Happen?" he explains what libertarianism means to him. I tend to agree.
    Any pragmatic approach will lead to the conclusion the Libertarian Party won't prevail in election but it doesn't mean they can't positively impact the marketplace of ideas. Imagine, for instance, if they just made everybody take one small step to the right. Collectively that might make a big difference!

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,494x in 55,030 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newpublius View Post
    Any pragmatic approach will lead to the conclusion the Libertarian Party won't prevail in election but it doesn't mean they can't positively impact the marketplace of ideas. Imagine, for instance, if they just made everybody take one small step to the right. Collectively that might make a big difference!
    It might counteract a bit the constant shift to the left.

While O'Rourke advocates libertarianism I don't think he votes Libertarian Party.

+ Reply to Thread