Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,391x in 3,907 Posts
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    There's a not-so-little problem with that. The status of being married changes literally thousands of things from a legal standpoint - from who is assumed to be the father of a newborn child to who is empowered to pull the plug on a coma patient. The word "married" is almost universally used in those statutes. If you want same-sex couples to "have equal rights under the law", the M word pretty much has to be applied to their unions, or it doesn't happen.
    I agree. It's just a word, yet, in our laws, it affords so much. "Partners" have been kept from visiting their loved ones who were in intensive care. Children brought into these unions were not protected if one parent died intestate.

My mother got frustrated once over Ellen calling her wife, "wife." My mother thought that if Ellen was calling her the wife, that must mean Ellen was identifying herself as the "husband." I explained that, no, there are "two wives." She thought about that and then brightened. Once she got past the word issue, she seemed more accepting.

It's just a matter of time.
    I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men.
    ~Leonardo da Vinci

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    kilgram's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,361x in 1,109 Posts
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I said that marriage should be treated like any other contract, so the government would have a role in terms of enforcing and adjudicating those contracts. It should not, however, have the power to define marriage one way or the other. I'm actually making a PRO SS marriage argument if you understand what I'm trying to say.
    I don't know USA, but in Europe marriage is already a kind of contract. With specific terms, but a contract, at all.

And if someone marries through the Church. They have to sign the agreement. And then this agreement is sent by the Church to the town council where the marriage was done, to validate that marriage.

It is like any other kind of agreement, for example a rental agreement. Each agreement will have its own specific terms, but all agreements of that type has similar structure, changing some terms. The same happening to marriage agreements, for example.
    Last edited by kilgram; 03-25-2017 at 04:46 PM.
    WORK AND FIGHT FOR THE REVOLUTION AND AGAINST THE INJUSTICE.

+ Reply to Thread