User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Dealing with Trolling

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,896x in 54,714 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Advice on Dealing with Trolling

Admin upon advice of mods has added the following to The Political Forums Revised Rules and Regulations under Guideline:

Trolling reports will be considered only if you can point out violations of rules. Otherwise, the best advice for dealing with trolling is to simply ignore it.
    More generally mods have the following advice:

We're a little society here, and societies ostracize those who don't belong. One way is by ignoring them.

The initial reaction to a troll is anger, but that just feeds the troll. Over time, they're seen for what they are, made fun of, then paid less and less attention. When they're ignored--not fed, they'll go away. Newbies will fall for it, but catch on.

Report them, but reports on trolling will be considered only if you can point out violations of rules. Mods trying to deal with them just feeds them, too, given attention, they'll troll you all more and more.

It might be fun, sometimes, to make one dance, but that too just feeds them.

So do nothing--ignore them, they'll get bored, and go elsewhere.

Never wrestle with a pig. You get dirty and the pig enjoys it.
    Thank you, the Mods

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (10-31-2012),GrassrootsConservative (10-31-2012),IMPress Polly (03-07-2013),KC (10-31-2012),Pete7469 (02-28-2013),Trinnity (10-31-2012)

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 730
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Larry Dickman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 348x in 195 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's quite a few members who hate the trolls, yet keep getting sucked into the mud dance. Not that it matters much, but I'm pretty much done here unless the bull$#@! ceases. I have less than zero interest in playing $#@!y little parlor games with $#@!s, and once I see others feeding the pigs I tune out.

It may very well be that the forum experience in and of itself is not suited to my temperament. I sincerely have no tolerance left for flaming idiots, but I guess some people like the game.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry Dickman For This Useful Post:

garyo (10-31-2012),Pete7469 (02-28-2013)

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 995
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Trinnity's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,832x in 1,323 Posts
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The forum has a way of weeding out trouble. It takes time. Hang in there.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    There's quite a few members who hate the trolls, yet keep getting sucked into the mud dance. Not that it matters much, but I'm pretty much done here unless the bull$#@! ceases. I have less than zero interest in playing $#@!y little parlor games with $#@!s, and once I see others feeding the pigs I tune out.

It may very well be that the forum experience in and of itself is not suited to my temperament. I sincerely have no tolerance left for flaming idiots, but I guess some people like the game.
    OK then, what would you have us do?

I've posed this question more than a few times and it's gone nowhere. So should Cigar be banned? Moderated? If we're going to be consistent, then everyone who posts an off-color remark on a thread is subject to moderation.

So we can have it either way - not both ways. We can increase the moderation to the extent that only on-topic replies are acceptable and anything near the belt is actionable.

Do you or anyone else want the latter? Be careful what you wish for.
    my junk is ugly

Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,896x in 54,714 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Whatever rule you'd like to impose on one will be imposed on all alike. So as cap suggests, careful what you wish for.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Pete7469 (02-28-2013)

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 764
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    BooHoo's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 159x in 105 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been on several forums and it seems there are some trolls on all of them.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BooHoo View Post
    I've been on several forums and it seems there are some trolls on all of them.
    Exactly.

Some forums deal with trolls harshly, while we would like to come up with a way to deal with them, we haven't found the recipe that would effectively deal with trolls without alienating virtually everyone else.

A lot of this stuff is petty forum vendetta driven. We get a lot of complaints from people who quite frankly are guilty of committing the same fouls and on the chance that we deal with one of them, we're then accused of playing favorites or being inconsistent.

So what to do.

My personal belief is that if I am going to post something - anything, I don't want to have to sit here and think about who it's going to piss off or what action I'm going to have taken against me for voicing my opinion. I don't find that attractive in a forum and the goal is to keep the forum fairly lightly moderated.

So... based on Chris's recommendation, the best option at this point is self control by members.

We're all adults here I believe and ratcheting up controls will turn the place into a romper room fast.
    my junk is ugly

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

bladimz (11-01-2012)

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,999
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteranRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Calypso Jones's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,860x in 6,374 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry. What would you have them do. Put the trolls on ignore. Post topics that swing the other way, the normal way. Banning together might make them realize they'll get no bites. It's their goal to drive off conservatives and right leaning posters. It's the board they want to see destroyed. Time to dig in your heels.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    OK then, what would you have us do?

I've posed this question more than a few times and it's gone nowhere. So should Cigar be banned? Moderated? If we're going to be consistent, then everyone who posts an off-color remark on a thread is subject to moderation.

So we can have it either way - not both ways. We can increase the moderation to the extent that only on-topic replies are acceptable and anything near the belt is actionable.

Do you or anyone else want the latter? Be careful what you wish for.
    I have no problem with insults, off color remarks or general snark within the context of a thought that is at least relatively cohesive. If someone wants to call me names within a conversation, it doesn't mean $#@! to me. I have thick skin. What is beyond bull$#@! are members making twenty threads a day, answering a post with a stupid picture, or posting multiple times with half sentences of nothing but garbage.

Do whatever you want to do, but if you guys really can't tell the difference between a troll and a wise guy, you aren't paying attention. And it has NOTHING to do with political leanings. I think Carygrant is a $#@!ing idiot, but he's no troll as far as I can tell. All I can say is it's gone beyond my ability to choose to deal with it, and that is my problem, not yours.
    Last edited by Larry Dickman; 10-31-2012 at 05:03 PM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Larry Dickman For This Useful Post:

Canadianeye (10-31-2012),countryboy (11-12-2012),Kabuki Joe (10-31-2012),Trinnity (10-31-2012)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    Larry. What would you have them do. Put the trolls on ignore. Post topics that swing the other way, the normal way. Banning together might make them realize they'll get no bites.
    I don't get why people are feeding them. Why even respond to the $#@!s? Every time you do it's like telling a kid a hundred times, "you can't have that" until the kid screams loud enough and you hand over the treat.

I really think for me personally this kind of conversation format doesn't work.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Dickman For This Useful Post:

Kabuki Joe (10-31-2012)

+ Reply to Thread