Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    I would have to look it up in my pharmacology books (although I don't have a veterinarian version) but I would bet that it has to do with how the drug is metabolized. There are a lot of major differences between how animals and humans process chemicals, otherwise we would be able to give all of the same drugs to pets adjusted for their weight - but we can't, and don't because it would still kill them.
    IF ever you run across it -- I'd be interested in knowing, but don't go out of your way. I know not all drugs act the same in different species (or foods for that matter), but this just seems odd to me.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    This is what happens when the wrong drugs are used...https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ockett/392069/

The whole thing is convoluted. From your link:

Since the mid-1990s, when lethal injection replaced electrocution as America’s favored method of execution, states have found drug combinations that they trust to quickly and painlessly end a life. They often use three drugs. The first is an anesthetic, to render the prisoner unconscious. The second is a paralytic. The third, potassium chloride, stops the heart.

Instead of all that -- why not use ONLY the drug that stops the heart? Boom. Over.

Why all the messing around?

Might foregoing the anesthetic be painful? Perhaps, but who among us is guaranteed a pain-free death? Even seen a person die from cancer? Aids? In a car wreck? Not painless deaths.

I'm not advocating going out of our way to torture a prisoner before putting him to death -- but let's just inject the potassium chloride and be done with it. And, why would we EVER not give a high enough dose?

Make all death sentence doses sufficient to kill a 1000 lb. man and there will never be another mistake.

All this silliness surrounding this issue. Let's just do it and do it right.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Croft (03-20-2017),KathyS (03-19-2017),resister (03-19-2017),Safety (03-19-2017)

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 764
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,510x in 14,774 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exotix View Post
    Today

Why Arkansas Plans to Execute a Historic Number of Inmates in a Span of 10 Days

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...0-days-n734731

The state government of Arkansas plans to execute eight men over a period of 10 days in April because one of the key drugs in their lethal injection protocol is set to expire at the end of the month.

Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson set the dates between April 17 and 27 and will require the state's department of corrections to execute two men per day with a few days between each lethal injection.

"As required by law, I have set the execution dates for the eight convicted of capital murder.

This is based upon the attorney general's referral and the exhaustion of all appeals and court reviews that have been ongoing for more than a decade," Hutchinson said in a statement, though another statement added that the executions were placed so closely together because the availability of the drugs for future lethal injections was unclear.

On March 8, Arkansas acquired the final drug needed to execute the eight inmates, under the execution protocols used by the state.

Top row, from left, Bruce Ward, Marcel Williams, Jason McGehee and Kenneth Williams.
    Bottom row, Stacey Johnson, Ledell Lee, Don Davis and Jack Jones.

My feelings on the death penalty are as follows.

1) Higher burden of proof. In other words even higher than the burden of proof that the state is suoosed to be obligated to show for conviction.
    2) Execute within 1 year of sentence.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

resister (03-19-2017)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,631
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    patrickt's Avatar Senior Member
    Living in Oaxaca, Mexico, born in Memphis and worked in Colorado
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,009x in 3,481 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I support the death penalty but I can't figure out why we've seen so much trouble with the drugs used to end these folks lives. One drug to paralyze them, another to stop their heart, etc. Sometimes they don't die...

Why not just inject them with whatever is used to euthanize pets that are suffering? Whatever the vets do -- it's quick and appears to be painless.

Why all this trouble getting the drugs?
    Why not use a rope? Why not use the gas chamber? Why not use a firing squad? Well, because someone wants to kill murderers kindly.

Dudley, no one who was executed ever killed another person. People sentenced to life, or less, have. And who knows if we'll get another president who hates us and has an orgy of releasing prisoners before he leaves the White House.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

resister (03-19-2017)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instead of all that -- why not use ONLY the drug that stops the heart? Boom. Over.

Might foregoing the anesthetic be painful? Perhaps, but who among us is guaranteed a pain-free death? Even seen a person die from cancer? Aids? In a car wreck? Not painless deaths.

I'm not advocating going out of our way to torture a prisoner before putting him to death -- but let's just inject the potassium chloride and be done with it. And, why would we EVER not give a high enough dose?

Make all death sentence doses sufficient to kill a 1000 lb. man and there will never be another mistake.

Some states do use only one drug
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 2,888
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,929x in 8,807 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that they copied the lethal $#@!tail originated by Dr. Kevorkian.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 511
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    KathyS's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,600x in 838 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    I support the death penalty. My only is it takes too long after sentencing to execute the condemned. I think one year after sentencing is reasonable. The way it usually is these people linger on our dollar for many years. Do it or get rid of the penalty.

I too, support the death penalty however, in recent years with new technology, some offenders have been found innocent. On one hand, I'd like to see the sentence expedited, otoh, I don't want innocent people executed without due process. It's a catch-22 IMO.
    “Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured…but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. And now, any of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.”

Jim Hays

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,122x in 7,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyS View Post
    I too, support the death penalty however, in recent years with new technology, some offenders have been found innocent. On one hand, I'd like to see the sentence expedited, otoh, I don't want innocent people executed without due process. It's a catch-22 IMO.
    He also thinks anyone convicted of a felony should lose all constitutional rights for life.

A horrible statement.
    There is no God but Resister and Refugee is his messenger’.

Book of Democrat Things, Chapter 1:1

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 511
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    KathyS's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,600x in 838 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by resister View Post
    He also thinks anyone convicted of a felony should lose all constitutional rights for life.

A horrible statement.
    In theory, once a sentence is complete, the inmate is released and all sins/crimes forgotten. In reality, we know that is not the case. The felon will never be deemed completely free of judgement.
    “Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured…but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. And now, any of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.”

Jim Hays

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KathyS For This Useful Post:

resister (03-19-2017)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,122x in 7,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyS View Post
    In theory, once a sentence is complete, the inmate is released and all sins/crimes forgotten. In reality, we know that is not the case. The felon will never be deemed completely free of judgement.
    Of course not, my last offence was in 2005, you think I am forgiven? Hell no, not even by people who did not get caught. Gotta love the bigotry of the unconvicted!
    There is no God but Resister and Refugee is his messenger’.

Book of Democrat Things, Chapter 1:1

15. The Following User Says Thank You to resister For This Useful Post:

KathyS (03-19-2017)

+ Reply to Thread