User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it time to face the truth? That sports is no different than other "entertainment"

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,858
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,760x in 5,063 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it time to face the truth? That sports is no different than other "entertainment"

When you were a kid and saw the Coyote get squashed, or your decade's equivilent , you either knew instinctively that it wasn't real or your parents told you it wasn't real.
    By 5 or so every kid knows that cartoons, /tv shows and movies are not real.
    As they grow they come to realize that modern studio music isn't "real" either. At least not in the sense that someone picks up a guitar, gets some backup and sounds like that. We're talking digitially remastered , spliced and diced, audio enhanced cyber music. For any who somehow haven't yet caught on that's why Live concerts sould so different.
    Then came "reality TV" but we soon learned that too was scripted and lied in it's very name. Then "World's Dumbest" type clips started getting staged.
    We all know fiction books aren't real by definition and that non-fiction books are usually the opinions of the victors rather than real facts.
    What's my point? Simple. What are the odds that sports alone stands out in the entertainment industry has completely unscripted and "real"? Think about it. Which sells better "real" or impossible SB comebacks?

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 407
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience PointsSocial
    NapRover's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 518x in 346 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The older I get, the less interested I get. I hold athletes and entertainers near the bottom of the prestige chain.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NapRover For This Useful Post:

Docthehun (Today)

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 407
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience PointsSocial
    NapRover's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 518x in 346 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One time I was going to host a group of customers from Zimbabwe for an evening. When I came to pick them up, I found them all gathered in one hotel room, watching pro wrestling. One wrestler had a folding chair, whacking his opponent with it. The guests were freaking out, asking why someone doesn't call the police! I had to break it to them that it was all fixed. America sunk a little in their eyes that night.

(I reinforced that by following that up by taking them to a Van Halen concert. All nine of them sat with their hands over their ears. They chuckled at the kid with an orange Mohawk and a chain from his nose to one nipple.)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NapRover For This Useful Post:

Docthehun (Today)

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial3 months registered50000 Experience Points
    Docthehun's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 725x in 509 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NapRover View Post
    One time I was going to host a group of customers from Zimbabwe for an evening. When I came to pick them up, I found them all gathered in one hotel room, watching pro wrestling. One wrestler had a folding chair, whacking his opponent with it. The guests were freaking out, asking why someone doesn't call the police! I had to break it to them that it was all fixed. America sunk a little in their eyes that night.

(I reinforced that by following that up by taking them to a Van Halen concert. All nine of them sat with their hands over their ears. They chuckled at the kid with an orange Mohawk and a chain from his nose to one nipple.)
    You recognize old man, we've become our dads!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Docthehun For This Useful Post:

nic34 (Today)

+ Reply to Thread