User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: When you grow old you find many of the things you hold dear

  1. #11
    V.I.P
    Points: 253,327, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    237958
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,462
    Points
    253,327
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    616
    Thanked 4,232x in 2,500 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2386
    Every Wednesday, I stop by my friend Alan's comic shop. He and his wife Marsha are such good people. Alan was born in Illinois a few months before I was born in Indiana, so we grew up in very similar environments. We invariably end up reminiscing about some facet of popular entertainment - his business, after all - and waxing nostalgic about the comics we read, the t.v. shows we loved, the movies we saw down at the neighborhood theatre. (Tickets were a quarter, candy a dime.)

    Alan remembers when comics were 10 cents; my mother was pretty protective about what I read for a long time, so they were 12 cents by the time I got into them. Comics now are $3.99 and up, and most are pretty dark and convoluted compared with the stuff we were getting in the '60s. When I was a kid, each issue was a one-shot - the entire story was wrapped up in 18 pages, or whatever it was; today, it's all extended story arcs, massive crossover events (designed to make you buy a dozen or more titles in order to get "the whole story") and nothing ever really ends. (At least not until the next universal re-boot, which both of the major comic companies, Marvel and D.C., do every few years now; they pretty much wipe the slate clean and start every title over with "#1", re-invent many of the characters, and leave you guessing about what remains in the new continuity and what no longer ever existed.)
    "It is a foolish man who believes that he possesses all of the answers until he is absolutely certain that he has heard all of the questions."

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

    AZ Jim (03-19-2017),Captain Obvious (03-19-2017),Common (03-20-2017),Hal Jordan (03-20-2017)

  3. #12
    Points: 156,356, Level: 94
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 1,494
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    AZ Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    116501
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    7,567
    Points
    156,356
    Level
    94
    Thanks Given
    2,338
    Thanked 2,378x in 1,766 Posts
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1174
    Quote Originally Posted by resister View Post
    95 % of my $#@! was as a kid. I got caught and faced justice, my karma is cleared.

    Gotta love people who look down because they were never caught! LOL
    Neener, Neener, Neener.
    Don't do things in the day that will keep you awake at night.

  4. #13
    Points: 126,611, Level: 86
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 2,639
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    79373
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Arcadia Fl
    Posts
    12,362
    Points
    126,611
    Level
    86
    Thanks Given
    9,015
    Thanked 3,569x in 2,760 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    806
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    Neener, Neener, Neener.
    Remember that next time you say someone should lose there rights for life for a crime. You have committed a few yourself.

    I guess your standard is if you were bought to justice or not, like Hillary.
    The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you figure out why.

  5. #14
    Points: 156,356, Level: 94
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 1,494
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    AZ Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    116501
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    7,567
    Points
    156,356
    Level
    94
    Thanks Given
    2,338
    Thanked 2,378x in 1,766 Posts
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1174
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Every Wednesday, I stop by my friend Alan's comic shop. He and his wife Marsha are such good people. Alan was born in Illinois a few months before I was born in Indiana, so we grew up in very similar environments. We invariably end up reminiscing about some facet of popular entertainment - his business, after all - and waxing nostalgic about the comics we read, the t.v. shows we loved, the movies we saw down at the neighborhood theatre. (Tickets were a quarter, candy a dime.)

    Alan remembers when comics were 10 cents; my mother was pretty protective about what I read for a long time, so they were 12 cents by the time I got into them. Comics now are $3.99 and up, and most are pretty dark and convoluted compared with the stuff we were getting in the '60s. When I was a kid, each issue was a one-shot - the entire story was wrapped up in 18 pages, or whatever it was; today, it's all extended story arcs, massive crossover events (designed to make you buy a dozen or more titles in order to get "the whole story") and nothing ever really ends. (At least not until the next universal re-boot, which both of the major comic companies, Marvel and D.C., do every few years now; they pretty much wipe the slate clean and start every title over with "#1", re-invent many of the characters, and leave you guessing about what remains in the new continuity and what no longer ever existed.)
    I remember when I could buy a hamburger, french fires and a malt for 75 cents. Comics a dime, coke 5 cents, Gasoline 21 cents a gallon, my first home cost $9,000 and my monthly utility bill was less than $20. Dem was da days....
    Don't do things in the day that will keep you awake at night.

  6. #15
    Points: 156,356, Level: 94
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 1,494
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    AZ Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    116501
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    7,567
    Points
    156,356
    Level
    94
    Thanks Given
    2,338
    Thanked 2,378x in 1,766 Posts
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1174
    Quote Originally Posted by resister View Post
    Remember that next time you say someone should lose there rights for life for a crime. You have committed a few yourself.

    I guess your standard is if you were bought to justice or not, like Hillary.
    Go away and haunt someone else.
    Don't do things in the day that will keep you awake at night.

  7. #16
    Points: 126,611, Level: 86
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 2,639
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    79373
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Arcadia Fl
    Posts
    12,362
    Points
    126,611
    Level
    86
    Thanks Given
    9,015
    Thanked 3,569x in 2,760 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    806
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    Go away and haunt someone else.
    Don't like it? Don't dish it out. Pretty $#@!ing simple You like to come in my thread and talk about personal info, cry me a river.
    The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you figure out why.

  8. #17
    Points: 156,356, Level: 94
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 1,494
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    AZ Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    116501
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    7,567
    Points
    156,356
    Level
    94
    Thanks Given
    2,338
    Thanked 2,378x in 1,766 Posts
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1174
    Quote Originally Posted by resister View Post
    Don't like it? Don't dish it out. Pretty $#@!ing simple You like to come in my thread and talk about personal info, cry me a river.
    Look, you are off topic and just being stupid. I know you need to work at it to be here all day and maintain your 72 posts per day record but do it somewhere else. I see being civil to you is pointless.
    Don't do things in the day that will keep you awake at night.

  9. #18
    Points: 126,611, Level: 86
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 2,639
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    79373
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Arcadia Fl
    Posts
    12,362
    Points
    126,611
    Level
    86
    Thanks Given
    9,015
    Thanked 3,569x in 2,760 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    806
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    Look, you are off topic and just being stupid. I know you need to work at it to be here all day and maintain your 72 posts per day record but do it somewhere else. I see being civil to you is pointless.
    Actually, I was standing in the river most of the day, you talk about being civil, was it civil of you to troll my airgun thread and bring up my prison record? Or to run off and start a thread about it and hall ass when proven wrong?

    You want civility? Give it and you will receive it.

    I remember when Marlboros were 1 $
    The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you figure out why.

  10. #19
    Points: 1,014,321, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Crepitus's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    938273
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    20,872
    Points
    1,014,321
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    10,846
    Thanked 7,513x in 5,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    9405
    Quote Originally Posted by resister View Post
    Actually, I was standing in the river most of the day, you talk about being civil, was it civil of you to troll my airgun thread and bring up my prison record? Or to run off and start a thread about it and hall ass when proven wrong?

    You want civility? Give it and you will receive it.

    I remember when Marlboros were 1 $
    When I started smoking they were less than. $.50
    Everything stated in this message is to be considered my own opinion, and not an official representation of this forum, it's members, or staff. Actual mileage may vary. Price does not include tax, title, and license. Some assembly required. Each sold separately. Batteries not included. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. If conditions persist, contact a physician. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight. Keep in a cool dark place.


  11. #20
    Points: 126,611, Level: 86
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 2,639
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    79373
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Arcadia Fl
    Posts
    12,362
    Points
    126,611
    Level
    86
    Thanks Given
    9,015
    Thanked 3,569x in 2,760 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    806
    Quote Originally Posted by Crepitus View Post
    When I started smoking they were less than. $.50
    I'm an 80 baby
    The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you figure out why.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO