Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Every Wednesday, I stop by my friend Alan's comic shop. He and his wife Marsha are such good people. Alan was born in Illinois a few months before I was born in Indiana, so we grew up in very similar environments. We invariably end up reminiscing about some facet of popular entertainment - his business, after all - and waxing nostalgic about the comics we read, the t.v. shows we loved, the movies we saw down at the neighborhood theatre. (Tickets were a quarter, candy a dime.)

Alan remembers when comics were 10 cents; my mother was pretty protective about what I read for a long time, so they were 12 cents by the time I got into them. Comics now are $3.99 and up, and most are pretty dark and convoluted compared with the stuff we were getting in the '60s. When I was a kid, each issue was a one-shot - the entire story was wrapped up in 18 pages, or whatever it was; today, it's all extended story arcs, massive crossover events (designed to make you buy a dozen or more titles in order to get "the whole story") and nothing ever really ends. (At least not until the next universal re-boot, which both of the major comic companies, Marvel and D.C., do every few years now; they pretty much wipe the slate clean and start every title over with "#1", re-invent many of the characters, and leave you guessing about what remains in the new continuity and what no longer ever existed.)
    “Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

AZ Jim (03-19-2017),Captain Obvious (03-19-2017),Hal Jordan (03-20-2017)