Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,818x in 1,689 Posts
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    may have already gone on before you. I found such an item today. When I was a kid, stealing a little beer from Harry's Delli in Mission Beach, California we loved to boost "Country Club stout malt liquor", it could kick a 15 year olds ass bigtime. No more, it's gone. I have no idea when it died but it used to come in a little 8oz can. The other day, I got to thinking of days gone by and decided I'd try to find it. No. Now there's a clear 40oz of something calling itself Country Club, but like Floyd, Ronnie and Eddie, my ole gang, it too was gone. Just keep trucking, you'll see.
    I don't know if it counts, but I remember Windows 7 being released. I was like 8 1/2 then, and I had an old computer with Windows XP on it. I was very excited with Win7 cos it loaded so much faster than XP. Now Microsoft is discontinuing Windows 7, and everyone says Windows 10 isn't as good.

But you know, a Persian poet called Omar Khayyam said this about time passing, and the old stuff disappearing -

“The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.”
    Oh, I wish I were a glow worm,
    for a glow worm's never glum,
    'cause how can you be grumpy
    when the sun shines out your bum!

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Don's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,934x in 2,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine the stories of "I remember" 50 or 60 years from now will sound much like they do now. They'll probably better remember the good things about their time as young people. I was born in 1950. When I was a kid I could pick up cigarettes for my mom at the store, 17 cents a pack (1957). When I was in the Navy (1969 *) when we were on the sea or overseas we could get smokes from the commissary on the ship for $1.00....A carton! My town had small neighborhood groceries all over town. You could walk a couple blocks and get most everything you needed. They had one larger grocery downtown where you could get some items the smaller grocers didn't carry. Around 1958 or so a Safeway store was built that started the trend to eventually displace the smaller grocers. We had Woolworth's and Gambles and J.C. Penny's that displaced many small "mom and pop" stores. J.C. Penny had roots in my hometown.

Everything seemed cheaper in those days but so was the pay. The good part was that most "moms" didn't have to work out of the home to make ends meet but they surely did work. By the time I was 13 and a half there were seven kids in our family. We could fill up the back of the station wagon with $40 worth of groceries, enough to keep the family going for a week. After taxes and other deductions my dad's paycheck was about $96 a week. House payment was $65 a month on a 15 year "jumbo" mortgage. Mortgages back then were usually 10 or 15 years and you needed a 20% down payment. Up til I was a teenager we had a wringer washing machine and a clothesline to dry. Everything needed ironing. The life of a housewife then was pretty hard. Getting all those kids up and going and dealing with all their little problems seven days a week 365 days a year. Making breakfast was not as easy as it is now. After the kids are gone to school or wherever except for the little ones mom had to clean up from breakfast and start the routine of housecleaning and making lunch and washing and ironing and making supper which meant actually making food from scratch, no microwave or premade dinners. Pealing, mashing, boiling, baking........... Serving and then cleaning up all the pots and pans and dishes. Dealing with the kids and getting them off to bed. Moms were usually the bookkeepers and budget setters and psychiatrists and sometimes doctors.

I liked the fact that people seemed to care more about each other back then and there were hardly any real weirdos back then I wouldn't really want to go back to those days. Tiny TV's with crappy pictures and sound with 3 channels if you were lucky with nothing really all that good to watch. No computers or internet. Crappy cars. Modern times have brought us to a level of comfort that even people with money couldn't realize 50 years ago. Things we take for granted. Imagine what it will be like 50 years from now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Don For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (03-20-2017)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Imagine what it will be like 50 years from now.
    Oh, jeez, don't get the post-apocalyptic, Anarchy in the Ashes crowd started, Don! According to some here, our progeny will be roasting their own babies over a fire and trading their daughters for beef jerky and shotgun shells.
    “Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,268
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Hal Jordan's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,795x in 4,453 Posts
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    The clock ticks things change and what was once the norm is now forgotten.
    Its the cycle of life, the hardest thing is to say goodbye to loved ones and long time friends and your pets. I dont say goodbye, I say Ill see ya soon
    I'm very similar in that. Just change soon to later.

Coming to you from the depths of inner space.
    "For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'." John Greenleaf Whittier

"Our minds control our bodies. Our bodies control our enemies. Our enemies control jack shit by the time we're done with them." Stick

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,069
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    AZ Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,319x in 2,953 Posts
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's to all and your great memories. I think memory is maybe our best gift. I raise a glass to yours and mine now gone.
    Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I digress....

+ Reply to Thread