Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,934x in 2,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chuck Berry

Dead at 90. Chuck was the real father of rock n roll and that's not just my opinion. Some of the greatest rock and blues artists in the world say so. He influenced their work. If you ever get a chance to watch Hail, Hail Rock n Roll by all means do so. Its a documentary type thing put together by Kieth Richards to honor Chuck. It culminated in a concert with a passel of great performers influence by Chuck.

Chuck at 60.

I wondered if Chuck was ever going to cash it in, especially after seeing him still performing at 86.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Tricia's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,807x in 1,044 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He had a good run. RIP

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved Chuck Berry as a teen RIP
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 2,058
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    OGIS's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,647x in 2,130 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rip
    Wearing a mask with your nose sticking out is like wearing a condom on your testicles.

When out walking, look out for PROBlems. You know: maskless Plague Rats On Bicycles who blow past you without giving you time to get out of the way.

Ah, CONServatives, the Masters of Projection (MOPs). With CONServatives, every accusation is a confession. Weird, that.

............Oh, what fresh hell is this?
    ,,,........¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯
    ....... Not my circus, not my monkeys

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,864
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,933x in 8,811 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearly someone who made a difference in music. He has a great legacy. RIP Chuck.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Long live rock n' roll...

Chuck Berry's spirit lives on through countless songs
    Mar 19,`17 -- Behind so many great rock bands and rock songs looms the music of Chuck Berry.
    Like the time a teenage Keith Richards ran into a childhood friend, Mick Jagger, at a train station in England and discovered they were musical soul mates. "You know I was keen on Chuck Berry and I thought I was the only fan for miles," Richards wrote to a relative in April 1962. "I was holding one of Chuck's records when a guy I knew at primary school ... came up to me. He's got every Chuck Berry ever made and all his mates have, too." Berry died Saturday at age 90, leaving behind not only a core of rock classics such as "Johnny B. Goode" and "Roll Over Beethoven," but countless descendants in songs clearly indebted to him in sound and in spirit.

Chuck Berry performs during a concert celebration for his 60th birthday at the Fox Theatre in St. Louis, Mo. On Saturday, March 18, 2017, police in Missouri said Berry has died at the age of 90.

You could assemble a heavenly mix tape just of the hits built around his guitar work. You can hear it overtly in the Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar," which closes with a near-verbatim homage to "Johnny B. Goode," in Bob Seger's "Get Out of Denver" and the Beach Boys' "Fun, Fun, Fun," or in brief passages to songs that might not otherwise remind anyone of Berry, like the Eagles' "Peaceful Easy Feeling" or the Who's "Who are You." "It started with Chuck Berry. He inspired us all," tweeted Rod Stewart, whose Berry-influenced songs included "Hot Legs" and "Stay With Me," a hit when he was with the Faces. "The 1st album I bought was Chuck's 'Live at the Tivoli' and I was never the same."

Berry also patented an animated, stream of consciousness storytelling style that artists have been using ever since. Listen to Bob Dylan unfurl his story of paranoia in "Subterranean Homesick Blues" or his old man's boast in "Thunder On the Mountain," or the Rolling Stones' mockery in "Respectable," songs inconceivable without Berry's "Maybellene" and "Too Much Monkey Business" among others. Berry's rocking groove and comic spirit inspire Creedence Clearwater Revival's sci-fi "It Came Out of the Sky," while Seger's "Rock and Roll Never Forgets" consciously brings Berry's teen world into adult life.

MORE
    See also:

Go Johnny go: Chuck Berry's seven best songs
    Sun, 19 Mar 2017 - BBC Music reporter Mark Savage looks at the late rock 'n' roll legend's most influential songs.
    "There's only one true king of rock 'n' roll," said Stevie Wonder. "His name is Chuck Berry." The St Louis bluesman, who has died aged 90, basically invented rock. Sure, there were other contributors: Bill Haley's northern band rock 'n'roll; Pat Boone and his New Orleans dance blues; and Berry's label mate at Chess Records, Bo Diddley. But no-one else shaped the instrumental voice and lyrical attitude of rock like Chuck. His recordings were lean, modern and thrilling. In the words of pop critic Bob Stanley, "they sounded like the tail fins on Cadillacs".

What are his best tracks?

He was the first to admit he drew inspiration from days of old. "There is really nothing new under the sun," he said in the mid-1980s tribute film Hail, Hail Rock 'n' Roll - citing the likes of T-Bone Walker and Charlie Christian as his forebears. Even the famous "Chuck Berry guitar riff", which opened hits like Maybellene and Johnny B. Goode, was lifted - by his own admission - from a Louis Jordan record. What he did with those influences, though, was something else. He gave country the bite of the blues, writing defiant odes to cars and girls at a time when rock lyrics were all Tutti Frutti and A-wop-bop-a-loo-bop. As Brian Wilson said, he wrote "all of the great songs and came up with all the rock and roll beats". "He laid down the law," added Eric Clapton. Here are seven of his most influential songs.

MAYBELLENE (1955)

Chuck's first single sounded like nothing that had ever come before - and gave him a top five hit in the US a full year before Elvis made his debut. It was based on Ida Red, a 1938 hit for Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys - but was nowhere near as polite. Chuck adds a thunderous rhythm section and a scuzzed up guitar, while his lyrics lived out a teenagers' fast-car fantasy (even though he was in his mid-20s when he wrote it). "As I was motorvatin' over the hill, I saw Maybellene in a Coupe-de-ville / Cadillac rollin' on the open road / Tryin' to outrun my V-8 Ford." Disc jockeys Alan Freed and Russ Fratto were "encouraged" to play the song - by being credited as co-writers - and a career was born.

[ROLL OVER BEETHOVEN (1956)

"I wanted to play the blues," Chuck once told Rolling Stone. "But I wasn't blue enough. We always had food on the table." So he channelled his other frustrations into music. Roll Over Beethoven, widely believed to be a manifesto for rock and roll music, was in fact an affectionate dig at his sister, Lucy, who spent so much time at the family piano he couldn't get a look in.

Tributes paid to legendary Chuck Berry

Still, the swagger and the message - that Beethoven and Tchaikovsky had been rendered redundant by the sheer power of Chuck and his cherry-red Gibson - resonated with musicians all over the world. The song has subsequently been covered by the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, ELO and even Iron Maiden.

SCHOOL DAY (1957)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waltky For This Useful Post:

Don (03-20-2017),OGIS (03-20-2017)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned