User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Apparently Ramping Up Heavy-Handed Tactics To Force Windows 10 Migrations

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I logged onto my home computer one morning, and it was in the middle of installing Windows 10. I swear to God, it apparently just decided that it was going to use 10 without any input from me. I got it to stop - after selecting "Yes, I'm sure" about a million times - and re-install 8, but for several months after that it ran so slowly it was unusable...until I thought to uninstall and reinstall my security software, and then it was okay again.
    Resistance is futile.

You will be assimilated.
    my junk is ugly

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 827
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by resister View Post
    My wifes phone talks, please say a command! STFU or tell me tommorows lotto numbers, sadly it does neither!
    I accidentally hit the wrong button on my phone awhile back and it spoke to me, which I didn't even know it could do. A woman's voice said, "SAY A COMMAND". I just said, "No!" and turned it off.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

resister (03-19-2017)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,122x in 7,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I accidentally hit the wrong button on my phone awhile back and it spoke to me, which I didn't even know it could do. A woman's voice said, "SAY A COMMAND". I just said, "No!" and turned it off.
    Talking phones disturb me.
    There is no God but Resister and Refugee is his messenger’.

Book of Democrat Things, Chapter 1:1

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When I get one of those "tell us what you're calling for" automated phone things I just keep repeatedly hitting 0 until I get a live person. I refuse to "talk" to a $#@!ing computer program. I have too much dignity for that $#@!ry.

Most of the time it works, except governmental lines that just hang up on you if you do that.

Hooray for democracy...
    my junk is ugly

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 581
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    decedent's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,794x in 2,008 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part of my problem might be that I just don't have the time or patience to learn how to do things with 8 that I got so I could do without thinking on 7.

Little things like saving a link to a website or document onto my desktop. With 8, I don't really even seem to have a desktop anymore - just a screen with big colored blocks on it that I mostly don't need and ignore. With 7, I just right clicked and selected "Save shortcut to desktop", or something like that, and it did it. I have no idea how to do something like that with 8.
    I have a touch screen on my lappy and I can just swipe inward from the right edge of the screen and then click the windows button to get to the desktop. I can also minimize everything by clicking the lower, right corner of my screen with the mouse pointer, revealing my desktop. Those are the only ways I know of.
    I have a big cook.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,122x in 7,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by decedent View Post
    I have a touch screen on my lappy and I can just swipe inward from the right edge of the screen and then click the windows button to get to the desktop. I can also minimize everything by clicking the lower, right corner of my screen with the mouse pointer, revealing my desktop. Those are the only ways I know of.
    My brother bought me a laptop for my birthday, get whatever you want, he said... I went for the old fashioned key board. Touch screen is not my thing.

*Typed out on my old fashioned key board*
    There is no God but Resister and Refugee is his messenger’.

Book of Democrat Things, Chapter 1:1

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 827
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by decedent View Post
    Yeah, I guess I do see my desktop...I was confused and misspoke. It's been a very long weekend and I should be getting some sleep. Still, it was certainly easier to find and save things with 7. I even dislike the photo saving feature; saving, sorting and finding photos on 7 was MUCH easier.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 581
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    decedent's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,794x in 2,008 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I guess I do see my desktop...I was confused and misspoke. It's been a very long weekend and I should be getting some sleep. Still, it was certainly easier to find and save things with 7. I even dislike the photo saving feature; saving, sorting and finding photos on 7 was MUCH easier.
    Even when I turn file indexing off, the Explorer in Windows 8 - 10 (where did 9 go?) is amazingly slow. If I try to open a folder with more than a few hundred files in it, it can take up to 20 seconds. In XP it would be almost instant. It really slows down productivity.

Anyway, I checked this Start Screen box when I got my computer and now it goes to the desktop automatically.

I have a big cook.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to decedent For This Useful Post:

resister (03-20-2017)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I logged onto my home computer one morning, and it was in the middle of installing Windows 10. I swear to God, it apparently just decided that it was going to use 10 without any input from me. I got it to stop - after selecting "Yes, I'm sure" about a million times - and re-install 8, but for several months after that it ran so slowly it was unusable...until I thought to uninstall and reinstall my security software, and then it was okay again.
    It does that, and, to my mind, it has no right to do that.

Windows 10 came pre-installed on my new PC, but I'm constantly disabling its "monitoring" program, "Cortana," which will re-enable itself regularly. I still run 7 on both my laptops without too much trouble.

As consumers, we shouldn't have to do things like uninstall and reinstall programs to clean up messes Microsoft makes on the machines we pay for.

As I understand it -- Windows 10 is already downloaded on all computers that run previous OS, just sitting there, lurking, biding its time. My old PC did the same thing yours did and I did not accept the conversion either.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (03-20-2017)

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft has already started their heavy handedness when they realized WIN10, win10 users have far less privacy. Over a year ago MS started when you went to reload win7 you couldnt get the updates and service packs. You sit there waiting for the download that never came. 3rd party wrote a program to get all the updates for a new install quickly and bypassed MS. For a while when win 10 was free the first year, they started just installing it without permission and the shop was inundated with screwed up opsys that would not run. They got sued and they stopped that practice. MS announced there would updates for win7 until 2021 then they reneged on that. They want everyone on Win10 because they have far more control over everyone.

I fight and kick and scratch till the bitter end before i go to win10
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (03-20-2017),Croft (03-20-2017)

+ Reply to Thread