Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    We don't learn them in high school unless we take an elective US history course (I didn't - I took all of the ancient history and medieval history classes, along with my mandatory Canadian history classes). Our news is dominated with US stories, though, and most of us pay at least a little bit of attention to it. Our 6pm news usually has a fair portion dedicated to world and US news. Certain social issues are very important to Canadians and there are several very important SCOTUS decisions that we know, which results in us knowing at least a few of the Justices. For example, when Obergefell v. Hodges took place, it would have been heavily covered in Canadian news and they would have broken down the votes. Over time, you just learn it.

That said, there are probably a fair amount of Canadians who know at least one US Justice, but can't name one Canadian Justice. Our Supreme Court is less activist and you don't hear about them as often as SCOTUS. I know them because I took Canadian law classes. It is kind of funny in a sad way that we have more exposure to US policy/politics sometimes.
    That's so interesting, Adelaide. And, kudos to you for taking an interest in the world around you -- even beyond your nation's borders. I don't know any of the Canadian Justices, and now I feel duty-bound to learn! We have a disconnect here in the states, and, perhaps you have it as well, but we've reached the point where our younger (and some older) citizens think mostly about what the government can do for them, rather than take notice of how our system works at all.

Our public school system is engineered to pull some of the brightest students up and out of the ranks, via Advanced Placement (AP) classes and Individual Education Plans (IEP), but the educational level of the rest of the children lags behind that of earlier generations. My eldest son went the AP route and excelled. He, and a handful of his classmates, were rigorously educated. He graduated one of the youngest in his class with two years of college already under his belt, all paid for by the state's educational budget. But, most kids are just passed from year to year with no additional interest.

Our public school scores are not nearly what they should be, so it's no surprise so many Americans don't know even one Justice. My eldest niece has a Masters in Early Childhood Education and she can't form a grammatically correct sentence. We're dropping the ball here and I don't know why.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (03-21-2017),Peter1469 (03-21-2017)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    That's so interesting, Adelaide. And, kudos to you for taking an interest in the world around you -- even beyond your nation's borders. I don't know any of the Canadian Justices, and now I feel duty-bound to learn! We have a disconnect here in the states, and, perhaps you have it as well, but we've reached the point where our younger (and some older) citizens think mostly about what the government can do for them, rather than take notice of how our system works at all.

Our public school system is engineered to pull some of the brightest students up and out of the ranks, via Advanced Placement (AP) classes and Individual Education Plans (IEP), but the educational level of the rest of the children lags behind that of earlier generations. My eldest son went the AP route and excelled. He, and a handful of his classmates, were rigorously educated. He graduated one of the youngest in his class with two years of college already under his belt, all paid for by the state's educational budget. But, most kids are just passed from year to year with no additional interest.

Our public school scores are not nearly what they should be, so it's no surprise so many Americans don't know even one Justice. My eldest niece has a Masters in Early Childhood Education and she can't form a grammatically correct sentence. We're dropping the ball here and I don't know why.
    I agree I dont know any canadian justices either
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 1,850
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,450x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The Canadian Supreme Court has the distinction of being dominated by women (and it wasn't done on purpose); the Chief Justice is Beverley McLachlin and 5 out of 9 Justices are women. Unlike in the US, Justices in Canada don't tend to show loyalty to the party that was responsible for their appointment. So, even though Harper appointed like 7 out of the 9, that doesn't mean they vote Conservative on issues. Another interesting thing for foreigners is that 3 of the Justices have to be from Quebec legally to ensure representation.

In Ontario, the education system is split into three levels; workplace is aimed for those not going to college or university, college level is aimed at those going to college and university level is aimed at those going to university. They all have their virtues; for example, workplace math teaches you how to do taxes, buy a house, buy a car and other life skills that you don't get in the advanced math classes. But civics is a mandatory class, as is Canadian history. If I remember right, there was no option to take a lower level history class.

I am not sure what the solution is to American schools but they definitely need work. So do the Canadian schools, but the it is remarkable that a country like the US can have such a bad system compared to other developed nations. For such an innovative and advanced country, the education system is bad.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (03-21-2017)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Canadian Supreme Court has the distinction of being dominated by women (and it wasn't done on purpose); the Chief Justice is Beverley McLachlin and 5 out of 9 Justices are women. Unlike in the US, Justices in Canada don't tend to show loyalty to the party that was responsible for their appointment. So, even though Harper appointed like 7 out of the 9, that doesn't mean they vote Conservative on issues. Another interesting thing for foreigners is that 3 of the Justices have to be from Quebec legally to ensure representation.
    That's the way it should be. It's good to hear that it's working in Canada, even though partisanship is ruining it for us here in the states.
    In Ontario, the education system is split into three levels; workplace is aimed for those not going to college or university, college level is aimed at those going to college and university level is aimed at those going to university. They all have their virtues; for example, workplace math teaches you how to do taxes, buy a house, buy a car and other life skills that you don't get in the advanced math classes. But civics is a mandatory class, as is Canadian history. If I remember right, there was no option to take a lower level history class.
    That's not a bad idea! Kids have different goals and aptitudes. An advanced degree isn't the right thing for all students, but we push that here. One of our problems is that we've created a false caste system around academia. Those with degrees, despite the uselessness of some of those degrees, are considered "better." The colleges love it -- it lines their pockets, but the student who graduates with a junk degree and tens of thousands in student loans doesn't benefit.

I am not sure what the solution is to American schools but they definitely need work. So do the Canadian schools, but the it is remarkable that a country like the US can have such a bad system compared to other developed nations. For such an innovative and advanced country, the education system is bad.
    Yes, it truly is bad, and, it seems as if every time they try to fix it -- they mess it up a little bit more. One of our problems is a strong teacher's union that has shifted the focus from the students being a top priority, to the teachers being a top priority.

We have a mess, for sure.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 1,850
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,450x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    That's the way it should be. It's good to hear that it's working in Canada, even though partisanship is ruining it for us here in the states.

That's not a bad idea! Kids have different goals and aptitudes. An advanced degree isn't the right thing for all students, but we push that here. One of our problems is that we've created a false caste system around academia. Those with degrees, despite the uselessness of some of those degrees, are considered "better." The colleges love it -- it lines their pockets, but the student who graduates with a junk degree and tens of thousands in student loans doesn't benefit.

Yes, it truly is bad, and, it seems as if every time they try to fix it -- they mess it up a little bit more. One of our problems is a strong teacher's union that has shifted the focus from the students being a top priority, to the teachers being a top priority.

We have a mess, for sure.
    US schools also seem to segregate students with learning or behavioral problems in such as way that it really gives them a handicap at having a future. It seems like there are AP classes for the kids that show a high aptitude, and special education classes for anyone who may have a learning or behavioral problem, and then everyone in the middle gets screwed for lack of attention, extremely large class sizes, so forth.

Something that makes no sense to me is to continue to throw money at it. The government might as well have a bonfire with the money, because it isn't helping and the system actually seems to be getting worse.

I know Americans hate to hear this, but they should send out a group of auditor-type individuals with backgrounds in education to investigate successful countries and figure out how the US system can be improved. Places like Finland have drastically different educational environments that are producing the best students in the world. It isn't a weakness to learn from others, but sometimes it seems like the US thinks that it is.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (03-21-2017)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    US schools also seem to segregate students with learning or behavioral problems in such as way that it really gives them a handicap at having a future. It seems like there are AP classes for the kids that show a high aptitude, and special education classes for anyone who may have a learning or behavioral problem, and then everyone in the middle gets screwed for lack of attention, extremely large class sizes, so forth.

Something that makes no sense to me is to continue to throw money at it. The government might as well have a bonfire with the money, because it isn't helping and the system actually seems to be getting worse.
    You are very perceptive. It's a money thing for schools. Both the AP and the "special needs" students enter into Individual Education Plans that are strongly funded by the state. The tests for AP are stringent, but many children, especially those from poor families whose parents may not have the means or desire to fight the system, are shuffled into the "special needs" category, thereby assuring more funding for the school. Once a child enters the special needs group, they don't get out. They wear the label their entire school career.

When I was teaching ESL to Vietnamese students in Middle School (I'm not a certified teacher), I once went to see the Behavioral Disability (BD) teacher, I don't remember why, but she was pulling the hair on one boy's legs -- hard! He was trying not to cry. She stopped when she saw me but I was stunned. I probably should have reported her, but I doubt anything would have been done -- those kids are already on the edge and they use that as an excuse. Besides, I was already up to my neck fighting against one male teacher (who just happened to also be a high school coach) for putting one of my morning Vietnamese students in a half-desk, tucked between two tall file cabinets where he could not see the rest of the class. It was a racist thing, but everyone tiptoed around him because sports are all-important.

When my contract was up at the end of the school year, they asked me to stay on, but I declined. I'd seen too much. And this was one of the "better" schools in the state. LOL

I know Americans hate to hear this, but they should send out a group of auditor-type individuals with backgrounds in education to investigate successful countries and figure out how the US system can be improved. Places like Finland have drastically different educational environments that are producing the best students in the world. It isn't a weakness to learn from others, but sometimes it seems like the US thinks that it is.
    I love your idea! We really need to make some changes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (03-21-2017)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,631
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    patrickt's Avatar Senior Member
    Living in Oaxaca, Mexico, born in Memphis and worked in Colorado
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,009x in 3,481 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's see. A majority of Americans probably can't tell you how many senators their state has or name one of them. A majority of Americans, given a map of the U.S. without state names couldn't find Iowa. A majority of Californians probably couldn't find California. I wonder how many Americans, other than Barack Obama, are unclear on how many states we have.

Two years ago an adult American asked me what day of the week Thanksgiving came on that year. Suspecting a trick I said, "Thursday?" "Are you sure?"

I realize that on the "man in the street" interviews they only air the incredibly stupid ones but they are sometimes mind boggling. I don't remember which politician said the three branches of government were the Executive, the Senate, and the House.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,579x in 25,136 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of this is surprising. Look at the state of the populace's knowledge of our founding principles. We were founded on personal freedom and individual determination -- yet, the people want none of that. In fact, there's a thread on here somewhere that advocates we'd be happier if we give up completely and go wholesale socialist.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (03-21-2017)

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Starman's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 169x in 124 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Most people are drooling idiots, that's evidenced by a lot of the $#@! we see here.
    Totus mundis stultizat. - The whole world is getting stupider.

Evil does that. And socialism is evil.
    "Public education is a socialist monopoly, a real one." - The Late Paul Friedman

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Starman's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 169x in 124 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    yeah, the rnc requires mensa membership
    The following 2 Users Say Thank You to del For This Useful (sic) Post:
    Bethere (03-20-2017),Green Arrow (03-20-2017)
    I left a voice mail message with a professor at Dartmouth a few years ago, notifying him of an error in his published paper which I read online. He used exactly the opposite word he intended, judging from the context. Within an hour, he called me back to thank me for telling him. He said, "I wrote that paper fifteen years ago and you are the FIRST ONE to tell me of that error."

I replied, "With all due respect, professor, why is there such a disconnect between intellectualism and common sense?"

He replied instantly, "Tell me about it!" What a scholar and a gentleman.

The average liberal will simply fall back on their Talking Points - "we're smarter than you rubes, you rednecks."

There is little correlation between common sense and intelligence. Furthermore, liberals aren't nearly as intellectual as they pretend to be.
    So they're 0 for 2, in all "57 states" of Obama.

+ Reply to Thread