User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 99

Thread: Money Doesn’t Buy Happiness (in America)

  1. #1
    V.I.P
    Points: 797,318, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Dr. Who's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    668986
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    37,045
    Points
    797,318
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    20,088
    Thanked 17,191x in 11,837 Posts
    Mentioned
    1053 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    6731

    Money Doesn’t Buy Happiness (in America)

    Chances are, if you live in the U.S., you feel worse today than you did 10 years ago. Don’t worry, it’s not you. This is a national problem: America’s rank on the happiness scale is falling.When it comes to happiness, the U.S. ranked 19th among the 34 countries in the Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development in 2016, down from third among 24 countries on a similar measure in 2007, according to the World Happiness Report, produced by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network and funded by the Ernesto Illy Foundation.Money, at least in the U.S., doesn’t buy happiness, the report found. Even as the country pulled off an economic turnaround, with increases in income and unemployment falling to historic lows, Americans are becoming less happy.

    ~snip



    Improving happiness in the U.S. would be much easier to do through social change, the report found.

    ~snip

    ....five means by which to improve social trust: campaign finance reform, policies aimed at reducing income inequality (such as public financing of health), improved social relations between native born and immigrant Americans, working to move past the fear of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and improved access to high-quality education.

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...kings-released


    From the World Happiness Report 2017:
    The USA is a story of reduced happiness. In 2007 the USA ranked 3rd among the OECD countries; in 2016 it came 19th. The reasons are declining social support and increased corruption and it is these same factors that explain why the Nordic countries do so much better.

    https://s3.amazonaws.com/sdsn-whr2017/HR17-Ch7_lr.pdf

    I would seem that the report concludes that the increasing divide between the haves and have-nots, perceived corruption in government and a decline in general trust in one another is making for an increasingly unhappy America.

    Suicide rates and drug and alcohol addictions (and attendant mortality) are on the rise among for middle-aged white, non-Hispanic men and women. They are falling in Nordic countries. It would also appear that America's war on terror is producing a very hostile "us vs them" mentality, which is exacerbated by "daily indignities of searches, frisking, body pat downs, orders barked at airports, and terrorist alerts" and declining belief in the government's justifications for military interventions. The last metric is described as "the severe deterioration of America’s educational system", rising tuition rates and declining student aid.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problem.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

    Bo-4 (03-21-2017),nic34 (03-21-2017)

  3. #2
    Points: 266,258, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    169181
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    26,100
    Points
    266,258
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    5,161
    Thanked 7,238x in 5,351 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1722
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Chances are, if you live in the U.S., you feel worse today than you did 10 years ago. Don’t worry, it’s not you. This is a national problem: America’s rank on the happiness scale is falling.When it comes to happiness, the U.S. ranked 19th among the 34 countries in the Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development in 2016, down from third among 24 countries on a similar measure in 2007, according to the World Happiness Report, produced by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network and funded by the Ernesto Illy Foundation.Money, at least in the U.S., doesn’t buy happiness, the report found. Even as the country pulled off an economic turnaround, with increases in income and unemployment falling to historic lows, Americans are becoming less happy.

    ~snip



    Improving happiness in the U.S. would be much easier to do through social change, the report found.

    ~snip

    ....five means by which to improve social trust: campaign finance reform, policies aimed at reducing income inequality (such as public financing of health), improved social relations between native born and immigrant Americans, working to move past the fear of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and improved access to high-quality education.

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...kings-released


    From the World Happiness Report 2017:
    The USA is a story of reduced happiness. In 2007 the USA ranked 3rd among the OECD countries; in 2016 it came 19th. The reasons are declining social support and increased corruption and it is these same factors that explain why the Nordic countries do so much better.

    https://s3.amazonaws.com/sdsn-whr2017/HR17-Ch7_lr.pdf

    I would seem that the report concludes that the increasing divide between the haves and have-nots, perceived corruption in government and a decline in general trust in one another is making for an increasingly unhappy America.

    Suicide rates and drug and alcohol addictions (and attendant mortality) are on the rise among for middle-aged white, non-Hispanic men and women. They are falling in Nordic countries. It would also appear that America's war on terror is producing a very hostile "us vs them" mentality, which is exacerbated by "daily indignities of searches, frisking, body pat downs, orders barked at airports, and terrorist alerts" and declining belief in the government's justifications for military interventions. The last metric is described as "the severe deterioration of America’s educational system", rising tuition rates and declining student aid.
    Happiness through governmental social change....

    Pass...
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

    -Darth Vader

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Private Pickle For This Useful Post:

    McCool (03-20-2017),MMC (03-21-2017),Peter1469 (03-20-2017),stjames1_53 (03-21-2017),Subdermal (03-20-2017)

  5. #3
    Points: 52,722, Level: 56
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,728
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Newpublius's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    37289
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Riverdale, NJ
    Posts
    4,834
    Points
    52,722
    Level
    56
    Thanks Given
    1,024
    Thanked 2,348x in 1,634 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    381
    ........but it can buy me a boat, buy me a truck to pull it, buy me a Yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets.

    Trust me, money buys happiness, if I didn't have all the things money buys me, I'd be literally quite dead.

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Newpublius For This Useful Post:

    FindersKeepers (03-21-2017),MMC (03-21-2017),stjames1_53 (03-21-2017),Subdermal (03-20-2017)

  7. #4
    Points: 469,795, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    275414
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    31,884
    Points
    469,795
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    10,355
    Thanked 15,024x in 10,352 Posts
    Mentioned
    663 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2790
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Chances are, if you live in the U.S., you feel worse today than you did 10 years ago. Don’t worry, it’s not you. This is a national problem: America’s rank on the happiness scale is falling.When it comes to happiness, the U.S. ranked 19th among the 34 countries in the Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development in 2016, down from third among 24 countries on a similar measure in 2007, according to the World Happiness Report, produced by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network and funded by the Ernesto Illy Foundation.Money, at least in the U.S., doesn’t buy happiness, the report found. Even as the country pulled off an economic turnaround, with increases in income and unemployment falling to historic lows, Americans are becoming less happy.

    ~snip



    Improving happiness in the U.S. would be much easier to do through social change, the report found.

    ~snip

    ....five means by which to improve social trust: campaign finance reform, policies aimed at reducing income inequality (such as public financing of health), improved social relations between native born and immigrant Americans, working to move past the fear of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and improved access to high-quality education.

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...kings-released


    From the World Happiness Report 2017:
    The USA is a story of reduced happiness. In 2007 the USA ranked 3rd among the OECD countries; in 2016 it came 19th. The reasons are declining social support and increased corruption and it is these same factors that explain why the Nordic countries do so much better.

    https://s3.amazonaws.com/sdsn-whr2017/HR17-Ch7_lr.pdf

    I would seem that the report concludes that the increasing divide between the haves and have-nots, perceived corruption in government and a decline in general trust in one another is making for an increasingly unhappy America.

    Suicide rates and drug and alcohol addictions (and attendant mortality) are on the rise among for middle-aged white, non-Hispanic men and women. They are falling in Nordic countries. It would also appear that America's war on terror is producing a very hostile "us vs them" mentality, which is exacerbated by "daily indignities of searches, frisking, body pat downs, orders barked at airports, and terrorist alerts" and declining belief in the government's justifications for military interventions. The last metric is described as "the severe deterioration of America’s educational system", rising tuition rates and declining student aid.
    Why do you think this occured Dr Who?

    Personally im just as happy today as I was 10 yrs ago and I believe my wife and kids are also. Of course Im not around the kids all the time anymore.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it"



    George Orwell

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

    stjames1_53 (03-21-2017)

  9. #5
    Points: 52,722, Level: 56
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,728
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Newpublius's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    37289
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Riverdale, NJ
    Posts
    4,834
    Points
    52,722
    Level
    56
    Thanks Given
    1,024
    Thanked 2,348x in 1,634 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Why do you think this occured Dr Who?

    Personally im just as happy today as I was 10 yrs ago and I believe my wife and kids are also. Of course Im not around the kids all the time anymore.
    What you have there is social market apologism and the reason why is because in the grand scheme of things the social market economy really doesn't stack up that well. So they need subjective 'happiness' indices to hoodwink Americans into adopting the paradigm.

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Newpublius For This Useful Post:

    Common (03-20-2017),MMC (03-21-2017),stjames1_53 (03-21-2017),Subdermal (03-20-2017)

  11. #6
    Points: 266,258, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    169181
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    26,100
    Points
    266,258
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    5,161
    Thanked 7,238x in 5,351 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1722
    Quote Originally Posted by Newpublius View Post
    ........but it can buy me a boat, buy me a truck to pull it, buy me a Yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets.

    Trust me, money buys happiness, if I didn't have all the things money buys me, I'd be literally quite dead.
    Americans don't truly understand poverty. Even the ones that are classified as impoverished don't understand true poverty.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

    -Darth Vader

  12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Private Pickle For This Useful Post:

    Captain Obvious (03-20-2017),MMC (03-21-2017),Newpublius (03-20-2017),OGIS (03-22-2017),Peter1469 (03-20-2017),Subdermal (03-20-2017)

  13. #7
    Points: 126,354, Level: 86
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 2,896
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    117110
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,236
    Points
    126,354
    Level
    86
    Thanks Given
    0
    Thanked 1,188x in 855 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1177
    "You can either make yourself happy or sad. The amount of work is the same" - Carlos Castaneda (IIRC)
    "Women should be kept illiterate and clean, like canaries" - Spencer Tracy in 'Woman of the Year' (1942)

    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing. All of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman.' I want a wife, not a competitor! Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

    Common (03-20-2017),Dr. Strangelove (03-20-2017),MMC (03-21-2017),stjames1_53 (03-21-2017)

  15. #8
    V.I.P
    Points: 797,318, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Dr. Who's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    668986
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    37,045
    Points
    797,318
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    20,088
    Thanked 17,191x in 11,837 Posts
    Mentioned
    1053 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    6731
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Why do you think this occured Dr Who?

    Personally im just as happy today as I was 10 yrs ago and I believe my wife and kids are also. Of course Im not around the kids all the time anymore.
    While I don't necessarily think that the rather smallish sample size in each country is necessarily 100% reliable, statistics do lend some credibility to their conclusions. The political divide, if not gulf, in America may well be a reflection of the beginning of social collapse. People are more angry, at least in the younger demographics. They are also more worried about their futures. Those who can't afford an education are legitimately concerned that one day they will just be permanently unemployed. Many people in the middle class have had the rug pulled out from under them and are now working for less money than they made 20 years ago and don't know what they will do when it comes time to retire. They may not be able to move in with the kids, because the kids are still living with them. We are living in very uncertain times with massive technological change and globalist agendas that want to maintain control of a 20th-century status quo.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problem.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

    AeonPax (03-20-2017),Common (03-20-2017),Peter1469 (03-20-2017)

  17. #9
    Points: 236,573, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Subdermal's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    181611
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    11,774
    Points
    236,573
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    13,438
    Thanked 5,237x in 3,779 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1829
    This is just exactly the kind of social go-goodism/attack on Capitalism/wealth/traditional Americanism that gives the OP goosebumps. Leftists are relentless propagandeers with this crap.

    If there is any veracity to the claim of reduced happiness, it's attributable to the exact same reason that Obama and his death spiral ideology reanimated - Hillary - was kicked to the curb. It has nothing to do with 'money' in the sense that the OP's silly manipulative piece claims. Traditional America is under attack, and they're not happy about it. We're being increasingly 'Europeanized', and we don't like it.

    While Europe is being increasingly globalized. This is nothing more than leftist/globalist ideology manifesting core unhappiness in its victims, and then attempting peurile propaganda like this to explain the unhappiness; to point in a direction other than the real cause.

    America self-medicated with Trump. We want Government out of our lives; we want America to be America; to be feared and dominant; to have our freedoms returned to us - economic and social - and our taxes and regulations massively reduced.

    And we do not want to share our streets with people - particularly those who came illegally and are coddled - who do not appreciate what we are and who we are.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Subdermal For This Useful Post:

    MMC (03-21-2017),stjames1_53 (03-21-2017)

  19. #10
    Original Ranter
    Points: 572,063, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Unenlightened
    Karma
    354121
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    73,472
    Points
    572,063
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    14,188
    Thanked 22,320x in 16,288 Posts
    Mentioned
    758 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    3620
    We needed another reminder that small, relatively homogeneous countries are happy?
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

    Peter1469 (03-20-2017),stjames1_53 (03-21-2017)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO