User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Money Doesn’t Buy Happiness (in America)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,875
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,930x in 8,808 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Money Doesn’t Buy Happiness (in America)

Chances are, if you live in the U.S., you feel worse today than you did 10 years ago. Don’t worry, it’s not you. This is a national problem: America’s rank on the happiness scale is falling.When it comes to happiness, the U.S. ranked 19th among the 34 countries in the Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development in 2016, down from third among 24 countries on a similar measure in 2007, according to the World Happiness Report, produced by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network and funded by the Ernesto Illy Foundation.Money, at least in the U.S., doesn’t buy happiness, the report found. Even as the country pulled off an economic turnaround, with increases in income and unemployment falling to historic lows, Americans are becoming less happy.

~snip

Improving happiness in the U.S. would be much easier to do through social change, the report found.

~snip

....five means by which to improve social trust: campaign finance reform, policies aimed at reducing income inequality (such as public financing of health), improved social relations between native born and immigrant Americans, working to move past the fear of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and improved access to high-quality education.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...kings-released

From the World Happiness Report 2017:
    The USA is a story of reduced happiness. In 2007 the USA ranked 3rd among the OECD countries; in 2016 it came 19th. The reasons are declining social support and increased corruption and it is these same factors that explain why the Nordic countries do so much better.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sdsn-whr2017/HR17-Ch7_lr.pdf

I would seem that the report concludes that the increasing divide between the haves and have-nots, perceived corruption in government and a decline in general trust in one another is making for an increasingly unhappy America.

Suicide rates and drug and alcohol addictions (and attendant mortality) are on the rise among for middle-aged white, non-Hispanic men and women. They are falling in Nordic countries. It would also appear that America's war on terror is producing a very hostile "us vs them" mentality, which is exacerbated by "daily indignities of searches, frisking, body pat downs, orders barked at airports, and terrorist alerts" and declining belief in the government's justifications for military interventions. The last metric is described as "the severe deterioration of America’s educational system", rising tuition rates and declining student aid.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Bo-4 (03-21-2017),nic34 (03-21-2017)

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,113x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Chances are, if you live in the U.S., you feel worse today than you did 10 years ago. Don’t worry, it’s not you. This is a national problem: America’s rank on the happiness scale is falling.When it comes to happiness, the U.S. ranked 19th among the 34 countries in the Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development in 2016, down from third among 24 countries on a similar measure in 2007, according to the World Happiness Report, produced by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network and funded by the Ernesto Illy Foundation.Money, at least in the U.S., doesn’t buy happiness, the report found. Even as the country pulled off an economic turnaround, with increases in income and unemployment falling to historic lows, Americans are becoming less happy.

~snip

Improving happiness in the U.S. would be much easier to do through social change, the report found.

~snip

....five means by which to improve social trust: campaign finance reform, policies aimed at reducing income inequality (such as public financing of health), improved social relations between native born and immigrant Americans, working to move past the fear of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and improved access to high-quality education.

The USA is a story of reduced happiness. In 2007 the USA ranked 3rd among the OECD countries; in 2016 it came 19th. The reasons are declining social support and increased corruption and it is these same factors that explain why the Nordic countries do so much better.

I would seem that the report concludes that the increasing divide between the haves and have-nots, perceived corruption in government and a decline in general trust in one another is making for an increasingly unhappy America.

Suicide rates and drug and alcohol addictions (and attendant mortality) are on the rise among for middle-aged white, non-Hispanic men and women. They are falling in Nordic countries. It would also appear that America's war on terror is producing a very hostile "us vs them" mentality, which is exacerbated by "daily indignities of searches, frisking, body pat downs, orders barked at airports, and terrorist alerts" and declining belief in the government's justifications for military interventions. The last metric is described as "the severe deterioration of America’s educational system", rising tuition rates and declining student aid.
    Happiness through governmental social change....

Pass...
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Private Pickle For This Useful Post:

McCool (03-20-2017),MMC (03-21-2017),Peter1469 (03-20-2017),stjames1_53 (03-21-2017),Subdermal (03-20-2017)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Newpublius's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,123x in 2,793 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ........but it can buy me a boat, buy me a truck to pull it, buy me a Yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets.

Trust me, money buys happiness, if I didn't have all the things money buys me, I'd be literally quite dead.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Newpublius For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (03-21-2017),MMC (03-21-2017),stjames1_53 (03-21-2017),Subdermal (03-20-2017)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post

~snip

~snip

Why do you think this occured Dr Who?

Personally im just as happy today as I was 10 yrs ago and I believe my wife and kids are also. Of course Im not around the kids all the time anymore.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (03-21-2017)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Newpublius's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,123x in 2,793 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post

Personally im just as happy today as I was 10 yrs ago and I believe my wife and kids are also. Of course Im not around the kids all the time anymore.
    What you have there is social market apologism and the reason why is because in the grand scheme of things the social market economy really doesn't stack up that well. So they need subjective 'happiness' indices to hoodwink Americans into adopting the paradigm.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Newpublius For This Useful Post:

MMC (03-21-2017),stjames1_53 (03-21-2017),Subdermal (03-20-2017)

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,113x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newpublius View Post
    ........but it can buy me a boat, buy me a truck to pull it, buy me a Yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets.

Trust me, money buys happiness, if I didn't have all the things money buys me, I'd be literally quite dead.
    Americans don't truly understand poverty. Even the ones that are classified as impoverished don't understand true poverty.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Private Pickle For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (03-20-2017),MMC (03-21-2017),Newpublius (03-20-2017),OGIS (03-22-2017),Peter1469 (03-20-2017),Subdermal (03-20-2017)

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "You can either make yourself happy or sad. The amount of work is the same" - Carlos Castaneda (IIRC)
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

MMC (03-21-2017),stjames1_53 (03-21-2017)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,875
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,930x in 8,808 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post

While I don't necessarily think that the rather smallish sample size in each country is necessarily 100% reliable, statistics do lend some credibility to their conclusions. The political divide, if not gulf, in America may well be a reflection of the beginning of social collapse. People are more angry, at least in the younger demographics. They are also more worried about their futures. Those who can't afford an education are legitimately concerned that one day they will just be permanently unemployed. Many people in the middle class have had the rug pulled out from under them and are now working for less money than they made 20 years ago and don't know what they will do when it comes time to retire. They may not be able to move in with the kids, because the kids are still living with them. We are living in very uncertain times with massive technological change and globalist agendas that want to maintain control of a 20th-century status quo.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

AeonPax (03-20-2017),Peter1469 (03-20-2017)

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Subdermal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,374x in 3,871 Posts
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just exactly the kind of social go-goodism/attack on Capitalism/wealth/traditional Americanism that gives the OP goosebumps. Leftists are relentless propagandeers with this crap.

If there is any veracity to the claim of reduced happiness, it's attributable to the exact same reason that Obama and his death spiral ideology reanimated - Hillary - was kicked to the curb. It has nothing to do with 'money' in the sense that the OP's silly manipulative piece claims. Traditional America is under attack, and they're not happy about it. We're being increasingly 'Europeanized', and we don't like it.

While Europe is being increasingly globalized. This is nothing more than leftist/globalist ideology manifesting core unhappiness in its victims, and then attempting peurile propaganda like this to explain the unhappiness; to point in a direction other than the real cause.

America self-medicated with Trump. We want Government out of our lives; we want America to be America; to be feared and dominant; to have our freedoms returned to us - economic and social - and our taxes and regulations massively reduced.

And we do not want to share our streets with people - particularly those who came illegally and are coddled - who do not appreciate what we are and who we are.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Subdermal For This Useful Post:

MMC (03-21-2017),stjames1_53 (03-21-2017)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,474x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We needed another reminder that small, relatively homogeneous countries are happy?
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (03-20-2017),stjames1_53 (03-21-2017)

+ Reply to Thread