Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Ken Burns: Vietnam

Ken Burns does Vietnam...

Vietnam Redux, Again: Ken Burns & Lynn Novick’s Epic PBS Series
    March 20, 2017 “You will kill 10 of us, we will kill one of you. But in the end you will tire first.” — Ho Chi Minh
    Whether he knew it or not, Army Gen. William Westmoreland, the U.S. commander in Vietnam, was philosophically and tactically in sync with “Uncle Ho,” except for the tiring part. He told Sen. Ernest “Fritz” Hollings,”We’re killing these people at a ratio of 10 to 1.” Hollings, a Democrat and a decorated World War II veteran from Westmoreland’s home state of South Carolina, responded: “Westy, the American people don’t care about the 10, they care about the one.” So there it is, the whole shebang that was the Vietnam War summed up in two quick takes from both sides of the aisle, but fabled documentarian Ken Burns does not do short and unsweet. He and co-director Lynn Novick tend to the exhaustive, a style they have employed previously to explain the Civil War, World War II and even baseball.

President Johnson visits soldiers at the Cam Ranh Bay base, South Vietnam.

For Vietnam, they have come up with a whopper that was 10 years in the making. Beginning in September, PBS will roll out a 10-part, 18-hour documentary The Vietnam War that the blurbs say will be a “gripping cinematic journey that promises to be a major cultural event.” The “Ones” and American veterans take center stage in Burns and Novick’s retelling of the last war fought by a U.S. draft military, but the “Tens” and North Vietnamese regulars and Viet Cong survivors also share the spotlight. Their takes on the pluses and minuses of the Americans they fought along the jungle trails and paddy dikes will be jarring to a U.S. audience. According to the promo material, the series “will open up conversations — sometimes painful and long overdue — about the legacy of the war and what we can learn from it today.”

Long Khanh Province, Republic of Vietnam….SP4 R. Richter, 4th Battalion, 503rd Infantry, 173rd Airborne Brigade, lifts his battle weary eyes to the heavens, as if to ask why? Sergeant Daniel E. Spencer stares down at their fallen comrade. The day’s battle ended, the silently await the helicopter which will evacuate their comrade from the jungle covered hills.

Well, now. Another conversation on Vietnam would hardly seem necessary after all the books, movies, songs, posturings, laments, “stab in the back” excuses, and barstool rants that have endlessly poured forth on the subject. But based on a screening last week at the Motion Picture Academy of America of a two-hour episode, Burns and Novick appear to have pulled it off. There is new material here in just the one segment — on power struggles in North Vietnam, on China’s involvement, on the divisions on the homefront in the U.S. and also in Vietnam. In Burns and Novick’s telling, Ho Chi Minh was a figurehead who lost out in a power struggle with Le Duan, general secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Vietnam (VCP), at a Hanoi party meeting on Nov. 22, 1963 — the same day that President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas.

President Richard M. Nixon visited U.S. troops of the U.S. 1st Infantry Division at Di An, 12 miles south of Saigon.

It was Le Duan (pronounced lay-zwan), a former clerk with the Vietnam Railway Co., who ordered regulars of the North Vietnamese Army (NVA) into South Vietnam to bolster the Viet Cong against the U.S. troop buildup that he saw as inevitable. The outmaneuvered Ho would remain the national icon; Le Duan was the power. Burns and Novick have their narrator, actor Peter Coyote, intone: “Le Duan gave the order to escalate.” The first phase of the new strategy was to destroy the Army of the Republic of (South) Vietnam, the much-maligned ARVN. Then would come attacks on the cities, aimed at setting off revolts that would force the Americans out.

MORE

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,631
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    patrickt's Avatar Senior Member
    Living in Oaxaca, Mexico, born in Memphis and worked in Colorado
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,009x in 3,481 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is PBS titling the program "Nixon's War"?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

waltky (09-28-2017)

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Don's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,934x in 2,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll watch it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Don For This Useful Post:

waltky (09-28-2017)

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

The Many Sides of ‘The Vietnam War’ With Director Lynn Novick...

Explore the Many Sides of ‘The Vietnam War’ With Director Lynn Novick
    September 26, 2017 - Novick co-directed with Ken Burns and we had a wide-ranging conversation about the film and the war's aftermath in America.
    The Vietnam War: A Film by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick explores “many sides” of the conflict in a way that explodes the “hippies vs. patriots” caricature of the era that’s been such a bad influence on American political discourse. Every American seems to have at least a few regrets about how things went down back then and that’s before we learn about the head-spinning complexity of the Vietnamese positions on their civil war. Lynn Novick directed the series in partnership with Ken Burns. His may be the name that everyone recognizes, but Lynn has working been with Burns since The Civil War and she previously co-directed seven episodes of their World War II film The War and 2011’s underrated Prohibition. In the midst of the publicity blitz before the series debut, Novick took the time for a wide-ranging discussion about the film and the influence of the Vietnam War on American society. There are very mild spoilers below if you haven’t started watching the series.

Portraits of Lynn Novick, producer for upcoming documentary “Vietnam” along with Ken Burns of Florentine Films, to be shown on PBS. Photos taken on March 15, 2017.

You were born in the ‘60s. What was your experience of the Vietnam war?

My memories of my childhood are sort of spotty and fragmentary. It’s more images and moments than anything continuous or properly organized. But I don’t remember a time growing up when the Vietnam War wasn’t happening. It just felt like it was always there and it was always going on and it was something that the adults around me seemed very concerned about and focused on, watching it on TV, reading about it in the paper, talking to other adults and people older than me. I just had this sense of something sort of looming and frightening and disturbing, and something that the adults were concerned about and I was not really understanding what was going on. I don’t have any family members or family friends even who served in the military during that time. I knew a lot of people whose families were focused on how to avoid military service.

By the time I really became aware of the war and began to understand that question, it was in the early 70’s, by which time it really had become quite unpopular. There were more people trying to get out of it than eager to get into it. I certainly remember that and I remember protests and a sense of questioning the government, a sort of “They don’t know what they’re doing and we’re not getting told the truth.” I remember that in the background, kind of the bass notes, all the time. By the mid-’70s, there were quite a few people in my family who weren’t going to college and they were called up to serve. And then we didn’t talk about it anymore. It was this absolutely closed subject from about ’72, ’73, onward.

Marines marching in Danang. March 15, 1965.

I was just in Vietnam, showing some clips of the film there. And a Vietnamese man who watched some of the clips said, “I’m not going to sleep tonight after seeing the scenes of the film that we just saw.” He was from a South Vietnamese family and he said he remembered scenes of fleeing, trying to get away, the communists were coming south. And now he would have nightmares, having seen the film. Then he said, “I have tried to basically put the Vietnam War into a drawer and close the drawer and not think about it and just try to not remember it because it’s too painful. Vietnamese have this saying, we sort of — we celebrate the good things and just put the bad things in the closet and shut the door. But seeing the film made me realize you can’t do that.” For different reasons, I think Americans have done the same thing with the Vietnam War, unsuccessfully, I would say.

MORE

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,620x in 25,162 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very well done
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

waltky (09-29-2017)

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Interview with Ken Burns...

Going Deep on ‘The Vietnam War’ With Ken Burns
    September 28, 2017 - I had a chance to talk with Ken Burns early this summer about The Vietnam War: A Film by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick. We ended up having a wide-ranging and relatively intense conversation about why they made the film and how they decided what to include and what to leave out.
    If you’ve made it through more than a couple of episodes of the series so far, you realize that there’s nothing easy about watching it and the experience of spending a decade making The Vietnam War had to be an almost unimaginable challenge. There’s a determination in this film to give a voice to the men and women who participated in this war, no matter their loyalties or political persuasions. Check that: everyone who participated has a willingness to engage points-of-view that may not align with their own and it’s that hunt for perspective that makes this series so important. The Vietnam War showed me things I never knew or understood, changed my mind and frustrated me at the same time. Burns talks about his philosophy in this interview. “The only way you have a conversation is not to make the other [person] wrong.”

If you haven’t watched much of the show, we get into specifics about some of the interview subjects. Several of them have life-changing experiences during the course of the war. Burns and Novick don’t reveal those changes until the moment in the timeline when they actually happen, so some of our conversation may qualify as spoilers if you worry about that kind of thing. As I promised Ken, I don’t ruin the final moment of the film. Even though I was born in the Sixties, the Vietnam War seems like most significant event in my lifetime. It affected people in my generation, especially, how we approached everything: from school to military service to finding our careers. A lot of Vietnam era people would consider my group too young to be a part of all that, but the war was this shadow over everything in the ‘70s and ‘80s. It was overwhelming for me to see things that I vaguely remembered or didn’t really know firsthand at the time because I was 6, 7, 8 years old.

Well, I was born in 1953. It was very much a part of my life. But my co-director, Lynn Novick, was born in ’62 and she describes Vietnam as just being exactly that. As soon as she became aware of the world around her, beyond her family, she knew there was this bad thing going on. Well, the shadow, you said. I come from a family with generations of people who served in the military but there was absolutely no question of whether I should consider it or be allowed to join. I didn’t serve because that’s not what we did coming out of high school in the 80’s.

What was your personal experience? You’re in the demographic. The draft was an issue in your life. What was it like for you?

It was scary and I lived in a college town, the son of a college professor. A lot of it was very much about the opposition to the war. And yet I was torn inside myself. I think a lot of people talk about Vietnam as being this thing we buried and didn’t want to deal with. As you know in the opening, Karl Marlantes says it’s like having an alcoholic father. “Shhh, we don’t talk about that.” And we haven’t talked about that. When we do, it causes divisions between us. But it’s also revealing, it seems to me, of divisions within us.

I saw the deaths, the body counts at the end of the week on the nightly news and I was so relieved that we were killing more of them than us. And so I was psychologically torn. But none of that was relevant in making the film. It was just stuff you had to shed because everything everyone knows about Vietnam is off in some way. You’ve got to realize that there’s been all this new scholarship on the war. We’ve opened up, we’ve triangulated with the North Vietnamese and the Vietcong and the South Vietnamese civilians and military alike and got to know what actually happened from the top down, from all of the decisions that Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, and Ford administrations were making. To me, it was our responsibility to try to find out as much as we can exactly what the facts were and then try to process 80 people’s memories of it.

MORE

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,574x in 36,513 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I caught a couple of episodes last week. It really was quite good. I have to admit that I prefer a good military history of Vietnam (what I'll call the "real war") as opposed to a cultural or social history but it was very interesting.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,009
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,124x in 11,355 Posts
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a great series so far. Not as gripping as his civil war series, but still great.

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Achievements:
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard great things about it.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Achievements:
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    Is PBS titling the program "Nixon's War"?
    Why would they? It was Kennedy's war.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

+ Reply to Thread