User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm disturbed by this article. Forget politics this is something we ALL need to know.

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    crowonapost's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 83x in 62 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm disturbed by this article. Forget politics this is something we ALL need to know.

The Methane apocalypse.

For me the key take away from the article:

This, Shakhova said, means that methane releases from decaying frozen hydrates could result in emission rates that "could change in order of magnitude in a matter of minutes," and that there would be nothing "smooth, gradual or controlled" about it. She described it as a "kind of a release [that] is like the unsealing of an over-pressurized pipeline."
    This Methane Apocalypse thing...
    I don't know why but this is a scenario that really is bothering me tonight because it has more plausibility than anything I've heard in years. It's interesting when I was a kid in the 80's, I remember I used to have literal nightmares of nuclear annihilation. Of running from nuclear explosions in my dreams. After the fall of the Berlin wall those nightmares faded away. The brink was closer existentially than many realized. Turns out there were a few incidents one in particular in which a Russian submarine captain was the ONLY decision that stopped the firing of nuclear missiles from his sub. Turned out he had lost contact with his higher ups after an order came down to fire missiles. It was literally that close.This methane apocalypse is the closest thing I've felt in my bones to that existential threat in my lifetime and in all honesty it did not fully hit me until that particular article i posted earlier. I mean I've known of the methane threat I just did not get how quickly it could happen. This could seriously be an extinction event on par with a super volcano in Yellowstone park. The key difference is this is an almost unstoppable event created by humanity. The Yellowstone super volcano could be put under the category of act of God, this though, this Methane Apocalypse is ALL on us. I don't know why but it profoundly shakes me inside.

From my heart I say to all who read this, hug your significant others, hug your kids & your grand kids. This may be too late.
    Seriously after this last winter the arctic was warmer then it's EVER been. That is significant. I don't say this lightly, even if we had some scenario where Sanders was president and he helped push an environmentally friendly call to arms it's still pretty much too late. CO2 is not going away, it has a half life of a hundred years before degrading. Methane has a half life of about 10 years but at more than the amount of CO2 being released in minutes, in Freaking MINUTES!! The consequences are catastrophic. It's a cascade effect, It's far more probable than possible. And that should deeply shake everyone.

It's profoundly sad for me because humanity will cease to exist, along with most of the life we know that supports us.
    Yes, bacteria will survive & some fungus but it will be millions of years before life gets complex enough for consciousness to arise and that consciousness will not be homo sapiens.

I am unabashedly a scifi enthusiast, I read tuns of science fiction and actually do it for work, another story for another day. Something i'm loathe to admit It is potentially the Fermi paradox is true.
    And we are just conscious enough to watch it happen in real time.

Hold those you love close, things may honestly not last.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,250
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is truly frightening.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 581
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    decedent's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,794x in 2,008 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crowonapost View Post
    CO2 is not going away, it has a half life of a hundred years before degrading. Methane has a half life of about 10 years but at more than the amount of CO2 being released in minutes, in Freaking MINUTES!! The consequences are catastrophic. It's a cascade effect, It's far more probable than possible. And that should deeply shake everyone.
    People and selfish and only care about what immediately affects them.

To be fair, we can always colonize Mars after we destroy Earth.

I have a big cook.

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    crowonapost's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 83x in 62 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by decedent View Post
    People and selfish and only care about what immediately affects them.

To be fair, we can always colonize Mars after we destroy Earth.

I used to think that. I really did. As a kid I was ALL about going into space. Now though, I see the big problem. We need our ENTIRE biosphere to be somewhere. We need all things like bacteria & viruses etc I know it seems odd but we need all that stuff interwoven to survive.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crowonapost For This Useful Post:

Crepitus (03-24-2017),decedent (03-24-2017)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,558x in 94,978 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Methane is a real (potent) green house gas.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread