User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canada to legalize marijuana by 2018

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    I'm surprised it took this long as well. However, it's virtually legal now. There are countless storefronts here in Toronto that sell weed.
    I think I read that they busted the "King and Queen" of pot a couple weeks ago? Owned a bunch of stores.

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 2,545
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Bethere's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,107x in 4,132 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcfieldz View Post
    What are cops going to do if they can't bust marijuana smokers?
    images.png

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 2,058
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    OGIS's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,647x in 2,130 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Good for Canada! Using science , pharmachology and real world evidence to make choices. You won't see much of that $#@! going on in America. It's all about who pays and very unemprical emotion.
    While you are correct that the Candadian federal government has more authority to do this that ours does, please note that our feds never let not having authority stop them in their controlest quest.
    If the US is not careful, it will fumble the Cannabis Ball.

American weed is supposedly the best in the world. Certainly most of the current 2300+ distinct strains of cannabis have certainly been created here in the good ol' USA.

And even more important, 'Merica, through its hamfisted War on Drugs, unintentionally created a black market need for the expertise to breed into the plant more "bang for the buck" (higher THC counts) which would reduce the size of smuggled cargo. And this need created a bumper crop of self-taught underground hippy geneticists, many of whom went on to be university students and world class plant geneticists.

We got the weed. And we got the brains. We could farking export cannabis to the farking world. And we could be the world center of medical research on cannabis.

But we don't have the law. And not having the law on your side means that 95% of your effort and genius is necessarily directed to not touching that ill-defined "third rail" that brings the DEA down onto your head.

The main victim, of course, is research. With weed listed as a Sch 1, it is virtually impossible to get hold of any to study it.

And that means that countries like Canada, and Israel... and even the UK (GW Pharmaceuticals, anyone?) may become the centers of R&D for the development both of tailored strains of marijuana, and of the possibly dozens or scores of medicines that might be created from the plant.

How many trillions of dollars is all that worth?
    Wearing a mask with your nose sticking out is like wearing a condom on your testicles.

When out walking, look out for PROBlems. You know: maskless Plague Rats On Bicycles who blow past you without giving you time to get out of the way.

Ah, CONServatives, the Masters of Projection (MOPs). With CONServatives, every accusation is a confession. Weird, that.

............Oh, what fresh hell is this?
    ,,,........¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯
    ....... Not my circus, not my monkeys

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Good for Canada! Using science , pharmachology and real world evidence to make choices. You won't see much of that $#@! going on in America. It's all about who pays and very unemprical emotion.
    While you are correct that the Candadian federal government has more authority to do this that ours does, please note that our feds never let not having authority stop them in their controlest quest.
    If the US is not careful, it will fumble the Cannabis Ball.

American weed is supposedly the best in the world. Certainly most of the current 2300+ distinct strains of cannabis have been created here in the good ol' USA.

And even more important, 'Merica, through its hamfisted War on Drugs, unintentionally created a black market need for the expertise to breed into the plant more "bang for the buck" (higher THC counts) which would reduce the size of smuggled cargo. And this need created a bumper crop of self-taught underground hippy geneticists, many of whom went on to be university students and world class plant geneticists.

We got the weed. And we got the brains. We could farking export cannabis to the farking world. And we could be the world center of medical research on cannabis.

But we don't have the law. And not having the law on your side means that 95% of your effort and genius is necessarily directed to not touching that ill-defined "third rail" that brings the DEA down onto your head.

The main victim, of course, is research. With weed listed as a Sch 1, it is virtually impossible to get hold of any to study it.

And that means that countries like Canada, and Israel... and even the UK (GW Pharmaceuticals, anyone?) may become the centers of R&D for the development both of tailored strains of marijuana, and of the possibly dozens or scores of medicines that might be created from the plant.

How many trillions of dollars is all that worth?
    Wearing a mask with your nose sticking out is like wearing a condom on your testicles.

When out walking, look out for PROBlems. You know: maskless Plague Rats On Bicycles who blow past you without giving you time to get out of the way.

Ah, CONServatives, the Masters of Projection (MOPs). With CONServatives, every accusation is a confession. Weird, that.

,,,........¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,637x in 56,021 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Have they announced the taxes yet? I imagine it will be more than the normal sales tax.
    My home state (Washington) legalized marijuana. Shops sprung up immediately. I checked one out once. It's about the same price as it was in the 70's.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,122x in 7,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legal shrooms!
    There is no God but Resister and Refugee is his messenger’.

Book of Democrat Things, Chapter 1:1

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,637x in 56,021 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Who cares what they do in Canada.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    My home state (Washington) legalized marijuana. Shops sprung up immediately. I checked one out once. It's about the same price as it was in the 70's.
    How recently?

There's an interesting article in (IIRC) Bloomberg about the recent ginormous drop in weed prices. Reason: every Tom Dick and Harry grower has expanded their grow ops, thinking that they can corner the market with their crops. Classic free market response to regulation dispersal.

https://www.leafly.com/news/politics...-could-plummet

For California, I think the numbers were $2,600 per pound down to just under $800 a pound, in less than 18 months, or maybe it was 12 months. That's just brutal. I understand there is currently a dropout and consolidation of growers happening... which may result in a coming shortage and high prices.
    Here in OC, many of the 40, 50 or 60-odd dispensaries are trying to hold the line on prices - bottom shelf at around $8-$12 per gram, mid at around $14-$20, and top shelf going up to whatever. I've seen custom grown sativa flower with guaranteed analysis of 26% THC coated with hash oil (concentrated THC) and kief (pure THC crystals) going for $60 per gram.

But here and there are mavericks, and I've seen prices as low as $3 per gram. And the scary thing? It's (usually) perfectly serviceable weed.

But even the less-than-perfect stuff has its virtues. I bought a high-CBD strain for my wife's back pain. http://thepoliticalforums.com/thread...ue-(Harle-Tsu)

The seeds are worth their weight in gold. I'm talking with a couple of people who know people who know growers to see if I can donate some seeds and get a future donation of a pound or so of Harley Sue flower back

,,,........¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    Who cares what they do in Canada.
    The United States have a lot of things in common. Canada tends to legalize (or decriminalize) things a lot earlier than the United States, but sort of sets a precedent. If most Canadians are at the point of accepting legalization, it's probably also try that many Americans hold the same view to some extent.

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 3,963
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,647x in 14,858 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    I am surprised it took this long, honestly.

Well, I support a certain level of devolution even if I think Canada is doing this right. The US simply doesn't and can't function the same way the Canadian federal government can.

We are different and always will be , however the American government could be more practical and evidenced based .

BTW, what do you mean by "I support a certain level of devolution"?

+ Reply to Thread