Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,929x in 8,807 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    I know a man, he has a PhD in electrical engineering. He chose to be an at home father. His wife is a medical doctor.

Cut the tax burden on the productive and the productive will produce children. Every nation with confiscatory tax rates has a falling birth rate.
    Have you ever noticed that even really wealthy Americans don't tend to have more than two kids as a rule? Clearly, money is not an issue.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,245x in 27,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Have you ever noticed that even really wealthy Americans don't tend to have more than two kids as a rule? Clearly, money is not an issue.
    Were you planning on relying on the 1% to produce all of the children? This makes me smile. As a former 3-4%er I suppose I should have around 20 children that I know of.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 2,888
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were you planning on relying on the 1% to produce all of the children? This makes me smile. As a former 3-4%er I suppose I should have around 20 children that I know of.
    No, but your argument that if taxes were lower that educated women in particular, would necessarily choose to have more children doesn't really fly. Educated women are having fewer children because they don't want to be tied down to child rearing. They want their careers for reasons other than just the financial aspect. They would rather work and pay for someone else to clean the house than give up their careers and live a life of domestic drudgery. Also, given the divorce rate, it really doesn't pay to be a housewife with no working history or a history that is so out of date by the time the divorce happens that they can't get jobs that really pay enough prevent a drastic change in economic circumstances. Alimony is not the rule anymore.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 686
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Scrounger's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 311x in 237 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, but your argument that if taxes were lower that educated women in particular, would necessarily choose to have more children doesn't really fly. Educated women are having fewer children because they don't want to be tied down to child rearing. They want their careers for reasons other than just the financial aspect. They would rather work and pay for someone else to clean the house than give up their careers and live a life of domestic drudgery. Also, given the divorce rate, it really doesn't pay to be a housewife with no working history or a history that is so out of date by the time the divorce happens that they can't get jobs that really pay enough prevent a drastic change in economic circumstances. Alimony is not the rule anymore.
    While you are right, ONE of the roads to getting people to reproduce is to take the tax burden off. We have to create new opportunities for Americans; reduce the size, scope and power of government; put the brakes on the welfare state; get those who have been disenfranchised back on their feet and able to function.

We have to quit apologizing for our culture and figure out that multiculturalism is the culprit behind the decline of nations. We cannot be everything to everybody. We cannot be the world's police force and feed the entire world nor even babysit them all the time. Fewer government regulations, fewer taxes, a renewed emphasis on the importance of our culture... it's a big package that we will have to put together IF we want to survive.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,245x in 27,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are a leftist liberal. No argument I present would convince you. You have an agenda. You love high taxes and lots of immigrants to supplant real Americans.

I get it.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Newpublius's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,123x in 2,793 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you are expecting that without fiscal constraints that women would readily accept having more than two children or even more than one. Women don't only work for the money, they also work for the intellectual stimulation. The problem group in terms of low birth rate are the educated. People with educations actually want to use them for something. Staying at home and keeping house doesn't do much for someone who would really rather be a lawyer or an engineer.
    My wife and I both work. You know what you find out? What I'm holding is what actually matters, the rest is just a bunch of corporate nonsense!

I'm not a barefoot and pregnant kind of guy, but we should celebrate the stay-at-home PARENT (not necessarily mom) and really when its 6am and the buzzer goes off and I'm rushing to get them out the door to the school bus, trust me, I'd rather just sleep in and snuggle up with my bubble guppies!

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are a leftist liberal. No argument I present would convince you. You have an agenda. You love high taxes and lots of immigrants to supplant real Americans.

I get it.
    No, most of the educated women I know are career driven regardless of political leanings. They would have a decent income even if they stayed home. That's not why they work. There is a high correlation between education and low birth rate. They generally wait until they are well into their 30's or later to have children because a career can be derailed by maternity and taking time off for kids before it is well established.

Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am posting this based on comments in another thread which I don't want to derail. However, the comments posted suggested that America should be importing more Europeans than those from third-world countries. That actually presupposes that Europeans are lining up to immigrate to America. However, the fact is that America is plagued with a very low birth rate.

"The new birth rate numbers are out, and they're a disaster. There are now only 59.6 births per 1,000 women, the lowest rate ever recorded in the United States. Some of the decrease is due to good news, which is the continuing decline of teen pregnancies, but most of it is due to people getting married later and choosing to have fewer children. And the worst part is, everyone is treating this news with a shrug."

http://theweek.com/articles/642303/a...onal-emergency

Europe has a very similar problem:

"Europe is ageing. On average, each woman has 1.58 children in the EU, substantially below the 2.1 children needed to sustain the current population level. Due to low death-rates and high net-migration, the overall population in Europe may be increasing, but the median age is crawling slowly upwards: 42 years in 2014 compared to just 29 a decade earlier."

http://www.debatingeurope.eu/2016/05.../#.WNxEb28rKM8

So, if you are tasked with population replacement, do you bring in more people who won't reproduce or do you bring in people who will produce future tax payers.

Discuss.
    You remove the barriers to having a family. Importing is a foolish solution - even if the people look like you.

People need to be able to have families and not be crippled by government policies and taxation that stifle it.

Fear profits a man nothing.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then who will pay for the ginormous military budget and service existing national debt?
    Repudiation of some debt is smart.

And the military could use a haircut.

Fear profits a man nothing.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newpublius View Post
    My wife and I both work. You know what you find out? What I'm holding is what actually matters, the rest is just a bunch of corporate nonsense!

I'm not a barefoot and pregnant kind of guy, but we should celebrate the stay-at-home PARENT (not necessarily mom) and really when its 6am and the buzzer goes off and I'm rushing to get them out the door to the school bus, trust me, I'd rather just sleep in and snuggle up with my bubble guppies!
    I'm not commenting on those who want to be stay at home parents, but many don't want to be stay at home parents. They want intellectual challenges. Between two parents, hopefully, they can strike a home/work balance that works. My experience is seeing women trying to do everything and running themselves ragged, but that's another topic.

Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread