Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnity View Post
    Govt
    Economics
    History
    Penmanship (can't read their writing. My own sons' are A/B students and their handwriting sux.)
    Spanish (sorry, but for practical reasons, it's a must)
    Home Ec (for real....they don't know how to cook a meal or balance a checkbook)

More history.
    Did I mention history?
    Readin' and 'Rithmatic, too.
    Please note: verbage enclosed by < > indicates sarcasm

"There's class war alright. But it's my class that's making the war. And we're winning it." - Warren Buffet

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 995
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Trinnity's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,832x in 1,323 Posts
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    Spanish. We must all learn the language of poverty, anger and lawlessness.
    As a practical matter it can be a hiring advantage in some regions of the country - that's all I'm saying. I learned enough to deal with my patients when xraying them. It helps me do my job better and makes my job easier for me.

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 995
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Trinnity's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,832x in 1,323 Posts
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bladimz View Post
    ??? What does the Northeast want with oil ???
    Actually, an oil slick would be nice right about now.
    Gasoline and heating oil.
    I think "oil" was used in a generic sense.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,397
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    bladimz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,497x in 1,146 Posts
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, i think we all agree that education can play an important part in the effort to eliminate world-wide poverty, but it has much more to do with the way uber-power and wealth control global economic priorities to their advantage. In most of the third world countries, for instance, huge loans are offered to them by more "substantial" countries in connection with the World Band and the IMF in order that these countries can create new infrastructures, like huge power plants, new roads and bridges, hospitals, schools. Two conditions: the loaners get to use the contractors of their choice (almost always American-based contractors like Haliburton) and second, the right to oil exploration is extended to such Big Oil companies as ExxonMobile or Shell.

The result is almost always the same: all the new infrastructure is put in place, with almost no training or education provided to the locals. Power plants and electric lines to dirt-floor shacks with no power connections. New roads and bridges for a population without cars. New hospitals with new equipment staffed with locals who have no training.

And, a landscape that is often ravaged by the exploration of the oil companies during their search for crude that, if found, will be drilled out and transported elsewhere for refinement. (The infrastructure contracts never include refineries). Meanwhile, the country struggles to pay back a debt they will never be able to meet. In which case they are indebted to support the wishes and ideas of their "benefactors".

This happens in one country after another. There are some countries in which the leader refuses the offers of initial loans. They usually die in a plane accident, or a car crash not long afterward.

This is just one way that the rich and powerful gain the resources of a poor third world country, while keeping their population impoverished and now indebted to them.

"There's class war alright. But it's my class that's making the war. And we're winning it." - Warren Buffet

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,999
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteranRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Calypso Jones's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,860x in 6,374 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's education. I think it's a willingness to find someting to market yourself with that other people want. I don't know. I think that might be called capitalism. Plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc etc etc. You know...the ones that actually do the work? get their hands dirty? Then they can afford to send their offspring to college where they can find ways to get people to pay them for thinking. :smile:

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Education coupled with opportunity - and by opportunity, I guess I'm implying a redux in entitlements.

There is a cycle of poverty supported by all 3 factors - lack of quality education, lack of opportunity and availability of entitlements.
    my junk is ugly

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,397
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    bladimz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,497x in 1,146 Posts
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So we're back to talking strictly US poverty?

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bladimz View Post
    So we're back to talking strictly US poverty?
    If my family and some other random family are in immediate danger and I can only save one family, sorry Jones's, your SOL.
    my junk is ugly

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Vaccines created for industrialized countries are not being adapted for use in the developing world...

Study Reveals Need to Tailor Vaccines to Developing World
    November 13, 2012 — The research arm of Doctors Without Borders reports vaccines created for industrialized countries are not being adapted for use in the developing world, meaning that millions of children born each year could be receiving less-effective vaccines, or missing out on the basic vaccination package.
    The results of a new study by Epicentre, the research division of Doctors Without Borders, have added to what the group calls a “growing body of evidence” that vaccines may not be one-size-fits-all. Rebecca Grais, director of Epidemiology and Population Health at Epicentre, says vaccines against life-threatening diseases must be modified for use in Africa if they are to protect children. "We want to make sure that the living vaccine and the vaccines that we do have are both adapted to the population where we are working, in presentation and composition, and we want them to be as easy to use as possible for both the mother and for the health infrastructure," she said.

Many areas in Africa don't have access to adequate refrigeration or electricity to keep vaccines stored at proper temperatures. Bad roads and other logistical issues make getting the vaccines out to communities a challenge. And the vaccines are not always easy to use or administer in proper doses. Grais said these factors must all be taken into consideration during the development and testing phases of a vaccine. She and her team spent two years looking at the incidence of diarrhea among more than 10,000 children under the age of five in Niger. Diarrhea is one of the leading causes of child mortality in Africa and is often caused by an infection known as rotavirus.

Epicentre says the two available vaccines for rotavirus were developed and tested in industrialized countries where they have been found to be 90 percent effective. However, those same vaccines are estimated to be only 50 to 60 percent effective when used in Africa and Asia. "There’s been great success in the U.S. and Europe with, in particular, two currently available rotavirus vaccines," said Grais. "We've seen a great decline in the incidence of rotavirus and of course subsequently severe rotavirus gastroenteritis, which may lead to death, and so this has been a success. So the question is: how can we use these vaccines in the best way in the areas of the world with the highest diarrheal burden, which is sub-Saharan Africa?"

Grais said that while their study focused on the rotavirus vaccine, its findings are relevant to vaccinations in general. Epicentre has launched two additional studies looking at alternative methods to deliver tetanus vaccine in Chad and the vaccine for pneumococcal disease in Uganda. Researchers hope the findings will further convince pharmaceutical companies that they need to tailor vaccines to the challenges of the developing world.

Source

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Bane's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 158x in 113 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a joke.

Obama and his idealogy are the leading cause of poverty. As we move away from virtue and personal responsibility, poverty will increase. Hell the entire Democrat platform encourages poverty through its progressive secularism.

why work when you can have babies out of wedlock and then go on the government dole?....lol.

Liberals are funny. Your the leading cause of poverty.....lol.

+ Reply to Thread