User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does believing that 'Reverse Discrimination' is Wrong mean you're a racist?

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Does believing that 'Reverse Discrimination' is Wrong mean you're a racist?

DeVos Civil Rights Office Pick Once Claimed Discrimination for Being White

Department of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos has appointed as the acting head of the department's Office for Civil Rights a woman who once complained of discrimination for being white. The appointment has civil rights advocates leery of the choice.
    Attorney Candice Jackson, who was announced as the deputy assistant secretary in the Office for Civil Rights on Wednesday, spoke out about being discriminated against for being white as a college student, according to a report by ProPublica.

During her time at Stanford University in the mid-1990s, Jackson "gravitated towards a section of the class that provided students with extra help on challenging problems." After finding out it was for minority students, according to ProPublica, she wrote in the Stanford Review, "I am especially disappointed that the University encourages these and other discriminatory programs."

She added, "We need to allow each person to define his or her own achievements instead of assuming competence or incompetence based on race."

Jackson also penned an op-ed blasting affirmative action saying it "promotes racial discrimination," according to to the report.

"As with most liberal solutions to a problem, giving special assistance to minority students is a band-aid solution to a deep problem," she wrote. "No one, least of all the minority student, is well served by receiving special treatment based on race or ethnicity."

Jackson also has written extensively in favor of an economist, Murray N. Rothbard, who called the Civil Rights Act of 1964 "monstrous" and "the source of all the rest of the ills," as well as denounced compulsory education, according to the report.

The revelations have drawn concern from civil rights advocates who feel Jackson's ideas on race may be at odds with the office's mission of ensuring "vigorous enforcement of civil rights" and serves "student populations facing discrimination and the advocates and institutions promoting systemic solutions to civil rights problems."

"It's not someone I would want to see in this position," said Theodore Shaw, director of the Center for Civil Rights at the University of North Carolina School of Law. "We have good reason to be deeply worried about the enforcement of civil rights at the Department of Education," he said, adding that Jackson's background doesn't indicate any strong experience in civil rights or education issues.

Jackson and the Department of Education did not return NBC News' requests for comment.

However, Jackson did say on her personal website that she was "honored by the opportunity to serve our nation's students and schools."

Liliana Garces, co-director of the Center for Education and Civil Rights at Pennsylvania State University, expressed concern. "I am deeply troubled that someone who has held an idea of reverse discrimination will be holding this role," she said.

"The idea of reverse racism equates being conscious of race with racial discrimination," Garces added. "Statements about reverse discrimination reflect a particular ideology that is detrimental to how we go about addressing racial inequality."

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

midcan5 (04-15-2017),Mister D (04-15-2017)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,474x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very interesting...
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Statements about reverse discrimination reflect a particular ideology that is detrimental to how we go about addressing racial inequality."

That statement is telling, of course theres reverse descrimination and because someone is a victim of it and is vocal about it, thats no indication they themselves are racist.

I dont buy the lefts ideology that only white men can be racist
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

resister (04-15-2017)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What that last quote says to me is, "If you question the premise that it's acceptable to treat individuals unfairly because their skin is White, you are part of the problem. 'Discrimination' should only ever be used to describe unequal or unfair treatment of racial minority members."
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,903x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Laws against discrimination ought to be neutral with regard to race, for general welfare and not special to any.

I suspect calling some racist for invoking those laws is meant to deter such claims through shame.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While I agree with you all the problem here is really this obsession we have with equality. We've committed ourselves to chasing a chimera and have done a great deal of damage to our society in the process.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (04-20-2017),Peter1469 (04-15-2017)

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,039x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My oldest was AA'd out of a Pharm D program in Ohio -- despite the official position that they didn't engage in AA. I sued the university and told them: 'If they were equally qualified, you'd have never heard from me. Just give me one reason why this man with a 3.2 was taken over her with a 3.9 and you'll never hear from me again." They couldn't. They paid. She transferred and finished in the top 10% of her class at a different university.

I'm against it. There was a time for it. I think that time has passed. I think the Court will agree with me. Disparate treatment on the basis of race is discrimination.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Chris (04-15-2017),FindersKeepers (04-15-2017),MisterVeritis (04-20-2017),Peter1469 (04-15-2017),Ravens Fan (04-15-2017),resister (04-15-2017),Standing Wolf (04-15-2017)

Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,903x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    While I agree with you all the problem here is really this obsession we have with equality. We've committed ourselves to chasing a chimera and have done a great deal of damage to our society in the process.
    Yes, there's that. I can understand equality before the law, iow, the government ought to treat everyone equally, it shouldn't discriminate. It's when that concept is forced on society that we head for trouble because it's impossible to achieve.

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    What that last quote says to me is, "If you question the premise that it's acceptable to treat individuals unfairly because their skin is White, you are part of the problem. 'Discrimination' should only ever be used to describe unequal or unfair treatment of racial minority members."
    I disagree discrimination is just that no matter who is the recipient
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Yes, there's that. I can understand equality before the law, iow, the government ought to treat everyone equally, it shouldn't discriminate. It's when that concept is forced on society that we head for trouble because it's impossible to achieve.
    Right but, more precisely, the expectations and demands we raise people to have cannot be met. This leads to resentment, anger and a perception that society has somehow failed. I think we can all agree that the contemporary USA is filled with aggrieved individuals who think society as somehow failed them or, worse yet, kept them from what is rightfully theirs.

~Alain de Benoist

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Chris (04-15-2017),Peter1469 (04-15-2017)

+ Reply to Thread