Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,647x in 2,130 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Because everyone is more on the same page. Same goals, same lifestyle, same wants, needs, etc.

Not like here where it's a $#@!ing cultural free-for-all.

All you have said here is that homogeneous societies are where everyone has more or less the same objectives. Or: homogeneous is homogeneous. Tell me why that is important to the issue.
    Wearing a mask with your nose sticking out is like wearing a condom on your testicles.

When out walking, look out for PROBlems. You know: maskless Plague Rats On Bicycles who blow past you without giving you time to get out of the way.

Ah, CONServatives, the Masters of Projection (MOPs). With CONServatives, every accusation is a confession. Weird, that.

............Oh, what fresh hell is this?
    ,,,........¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯
    ....... Not my circus, not my monkeys

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 2,058
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    OGIS's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,647x in 2,130 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Brace yourself for a tidal wave of denial.
    It is not my problem to look at the differences. A point is trying to be proved. Very well. Prove it. Don't try and make me do the work you people (as those making the assertion) should be doing.

Cap, if I accuse you of murder, it is up to me to prove it? Or up to you to prove your innocence? Just how would you do that?
    Wearing a mask with your nose sticking out is like wearing a condom on your testicles.

When out walking, look out for PROBlems. You know: maskless Plague Rats On Bicycles who blow past you without giving you time to get out of the way.

Ah, CONServatives, the Masters of Projection (MOPs). With CONServatives, every accusation is a confession. Weird, that.

............Oh, what fresh hell is this?
    ,,,........¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯
    ....... Not my circus, not my monkeys

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OGIS View Post
    All you have said here is that homogeneous societies are where everyone has more or less the same objectives. Or: homogeneous is homogeneous. Tell me why that is important to the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by OGIS View Post
    It is not my problem to look at the differences. A point is trying to be proved. Very well. Prove it. Don't try and make me do the work you people (as those making the assertion) should be doing.

Cap, if I accuse you of murder, it is up to me to prove it? Or up to you to prove your innocence? Just how would you do that?
    It's hard to explain... to you.

I'm guessing brighter folks will get it.
    my junk is ugly

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,534x in 55,050 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Homogeneity lends itself to a society where people trust each other, you know what to expect of each other, you know too that that will continue from generation to generation. So you're willing to allow for more socializing of services because you trust you'll get out at least what you put in. A lot of the Nordic nations made their wealth via market and trade and rich decided they could afford social welfare programs and trusted in payback. Once they joined the EU though they were forced to take on an influx of strangers they didn't trust as much and the people pulled back conservatively.

It wasn't just that. The Great Recession showed them they could lose it all, that government offered no guarantee, so this too caused them to pull back conservatively.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (04-16-2017)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,555x in 94,977 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vibrancy isn't all it is cracked up to be.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Newpublius's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,123x in 2,793 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Well, not only that, as she explains, but that and rule of law, property rights and so on.

The first issue of course is that any collective allocation necessarily must tax individual allocation and that tax always discourages the taxed activity by reducing the benefit derived from that activity and quite literally forcing it to be allocated by a central decision maker of some sort. There's no way around that. Beyond that, even if we completely assume no impact from taxation, bureaucratic or technocratic methods of allocation lack methods to rationally allocate resources.
    Last edited by Newpublius; 04-16-2017 at 11:32 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Newpublius For This Useful Post:

Chris (04-17-2017)

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 581
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    decedent's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,794x in 2,008 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Homogeneity lends itself to a society where people trust each other, you know what to expect of each other, you know too that that will continue from generation to generation. So you're willing to allow for more socializing of services because you trust you'll get out at least what you put in. A lot of the Nordic nations made their wealth via market and trade and rich decided they could afford social welfare programs and trusted in payback. Once they joined the EU though they were forced to take on an influx of strangers they didn't trust as much and the people pulled back conservatively.

It wasn't just that. The Great Recession showed them they could lose it all, that government offered no guarantee, so this too caused them to pull back conservatively.
    In the middle of the 20th century, the government won the war in Europe, in the Pacific, they cured polio, they could do no wrong. People had faith in the system and in authority. If a politician said they'd put a man in space, you believed it. If a doctor told you to take a pill, you took it.

The welfare state grew from this trust in the government and willfulness to fund it. But there was a trust and belief that society would benefit. Now, the government has gotten too big, our faith has eroded almost to disdain, and we're trying to figure out how to roll it back.
    I have a big cook.

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,534x in 55,050 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by decedent View Post
    In the middle of the 20th century, the government won the war in Europe, in the Pacific, they cured polio, they could do no wrong. People had faith in the system and in authority. If a politician said they'd put a man in space, you believed it. If a doctor told you to take a pill, you took it.

The welfare state grew from this trust in the government and willfulness to fund it. But there was a trust and belief that society would benefit. Now, the government has gotten too big, our faith has eroded almost to disdain, and we're trying to figure out how to roll it back.
    Jonas Edward Salk found the vaccine for polio. Doctors are not the government. Governments do fight wars, always to end them.

I would agree trust in government is a factor here too, and then that trust is broken.

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 686
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Scrounger's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 311x in 237 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by decedent View Post

While Americans are looking for ways to roll back government, they are willing to accept a bigger and more intrusive government, provided that government promises to do something for that individual and / or address their personal agenda. AND, NOBODY wants to discuss the costs of implementing what they want.

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 581
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    decedent's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,794x in 2,008 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    While Americans are looking for ways to roll back government, they are willing to accept a bigger and more intrusive government, provided that government promises to do something for that individual and / or address their personal agenda. AND, NOBODY wants to discuss the costs of implementing what they want.

Governments are like plants: they naturally grow.
    I have a big cook.

+ Reply to Thread