User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 119

Thread: Tax reform is DOA as long as Trump hides his

  1. #11

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 33,835, Level: 44
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ravens Fan's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    130040
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    9,233
    Points
    33,835
    Level
    44
    Thanks Given
    24,472
    Thanked 6,736x in 3,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crepitus View Post
    Can anyone explain why Donald Trump is hiding his tax returns if they can't show anything important or incriminating anyway?

    What is the reasoning here?
    If it were you waiting for a tax audit to be over, would you want to release your tax returns, that are still being reviewed by the IRS, to be under heavy scrutiny of every single tax attorney and wannabe tax attorney in the country? Or would you rather wait until the IRS ( the most powerful department of our government) says you are good?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ravens Fan For This Useful Post:

    DGUtley (04-18-2017)

  3. #12

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 22,289, Level: 36
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 861
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class1 year registered
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    159976
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    6,682
    Points
    22,289
    Level
    36
    Thanks Given
    2,872
    Thanked 5,238x in 3,074 Posts
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crepitus View Post
    Can anyone explain why Donald Trump is hiding his tax returns if they can't show anything important or incriminating anyway?

    What is the reasoning here?
    "hiding" implies some legal obligation to do so. He has no legal obligation to reveal his tax returns just like Chairman Maobama had no legal obligation to reveal his transcripts (despite the fact that most of his predecessor candidates did so. I suspect that Trump is doing what Obama did -- digging his heels in just b/c he's not going to be pushed around by people who are asking just to push a narrative. In litigation, I frequently refuse to turn over materials that I'm under no obligation to turn over that others have asked for. My sisters, both LWNJ's are all over facebook screaming about his tax returns and RUSSIA -- when I asked them calmly what they hoped to see they both, in separate emails, responded: RUSSIA. I asked for a clarification, they responded RUSSIA. One's an architect, one a school district superintendent. Bright women. Clueless about this.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

    MisterVeritis (04-18-2017),Ravens Fan (04-18-2017)

  5. #13
    Points: 128,402, Level: 86
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 848
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    Bo-4's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    294112
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    31,812
    Points
    128,402
    Level
    86
    Thanks Given
    9,866
    Thanked 9,082x in 7,329 Posts
    Mentioned
    570 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    ...but they all stand to profit. That would be improper, don't you agree? Shouldn't we know this? Shouldn't we know if some liberal Democrat makes a recommendation buried deep in the IRS that will make her (or her constituent) wealthy if accepted? Shouldn't that be fair game? We know constitutionally that the legislative branch writes the laws here so constitutionally congress has more say-so in this than Trump. This could be a plot to make some liberal even richer. We need to know this. We have to know this. It's only fair that those writing the laws (even more so than those charged constitutionally with implementing the laws) be transparent on how they stand to benefit from any tax changes.

    Don't you agree?
    No, i don't agree that every federal employee and those who bring them coffee stands to profit, nor do 99% of them have any say in the decision making.

    Most members of congress (unlike this president) have released some or all of their tax returns.
    Fascism begins with a central argument that the world is broken .. everything is a mess -Unknown

  6. #14
    Points: 128,402, Level: 86
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 848
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    Bo-4's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    294112
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    31,812
    Points
    128,402
    Level
    86
    Thanks Given
    9,866
    Thanked 9,082x in 7,329 Posts
    Mentioned
    570 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    "hiding" implies some legal obligation to do so. He has no legal obligation to reveal his tax returns just like Chairman Maobama had no legal obligation to reveal his transcripts (despite the fact that most of his predecessor candidates did so. I suspect that Trump is doing what Obama did -- digging his heels in just b/c he's not going to be pushed around by people who are asking just to push a narrative. In litigation, I frequently refuse to turn over materials that I'm under no obligation to turn over that others have asked for. My sisters, both LWNJ's are all over facebook screaming about his tax returns and RUSSIA -- when I asked them calmly what they hoped to see they both, in separate emails, responded: RUSSIA. I asked for a clarification, they responded RUSSIA. One's an architect, one a school district superintendent. Bright women. Clueless about this.
    Smart sisters ya got there Dave ;-)
    Fascism begins with a central argument that the world is broken .. everything is a mess -Unknown

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo-4 For This Useful Post:

    DGUtley (04-18-2017)

  8. #15

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 22,289, Level: 36
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 861
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class1 year registered
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    159976
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    6,682
    Points
    22,289
    Level
    36
    Thanks Given
    2,872
    Thanked 5,238x in 3,074 Posts
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo-4 View Post
    No, i don't agree that every federal employee and those who bring them coffee stands to profit, nor do 99% of them have any say in the decision making. Most members of congress (unlike this president) have released some or all of their tax returns.
    Guess again Bo. Just 17 out of the 535 members of Congress released their most recent tax forms or provided some similar documentation of their tax liabilities in response to requests from McClatchy over the last three months. Another 19 replied that they wouldn’t release the information, and the remainder never responded to the query.

    http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/poli...e24732952.html

    These are the people that write the tax laws. Isn't it more critical that we know about Schumer's than Trump's tax returns?
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

    hanger4 (04-18-2017),MisterVeritis (04-18-2017),Ravens Fan (04-18-2017)

  10. #16
    Original Ranter
    Points: 422,605, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    404734
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    131,187
    Points
    422,605
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    75,494
    Thanked 55,703x in 38,534 Posts
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crepitus View Post
    Can anyone explain why Donald Trump is hiding his tax returns if they can't show anything important or incriminating anyway?

    What is the reasoning here?
    Probably the same game Obama played with his birth certificate.
    Alea iacta est

    Check out the blog.


  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

    DGUtley (04-18-2017)

  12. #17
    Points: 128,402, Level: 86
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 848
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    Bo-4's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    294112
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    31,812
    Points
    128,402
    Level
    86
    Thanks Given
    9,866
    Thanked 9,082x in 7,329 Posts
    Mentioned
    570 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Guess again Bo. Just 17 out of the 535 members of Congress released their most recent tax forms or provided some similar documentation of their tax liabilities in response to requests from McClatchy over the last three months. Another 19 replied that they wouldn’t release the information, and the remainder never responded to the query.

    http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/poli...e24732952.html
    I stand corrected on members of congress - we need to make that a requirement - shady stock deals are a major concern.

    *See Tom Price - but Dems (Pelosi comes to mind) have also been guilty.

    http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/..._from_hhs.html
    Fascism begins with a central argument that the world is broken .. everything is a mess -Unknown

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bo-4 For This Useful Post:

    Bethere (04-18-2017),DGUtley (04-18-2017),Peter1469 (04-18-2017),Ravens Fan (04-18-2017)

  14. #18
    Points: 69,829, Level: 64
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 1,121
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Crepitus's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    1251179
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    27,224
    Points
    69,829
    Level
    64
    Thanks Given
    13,392
    Thanked 9,403x in 6,805 Posts
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Tax returns are not public records. That is sufficient explanation.
    So we've got one "no."

    Anyone else?
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

  15. #19
    Points: 69,829, Level: 64
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 1,121
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Crepitus's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    1251179
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    27,224
    Points
    69,829
    Level
    64
    Thanks Given
    13,392
    Thanked 9,403x in 6,805 Posts
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Fan View Post
    If it were you waiting for a tax audit to be over, would you want to release your tax returns, that are still being reviewed by the IRS, to be under heavy scrutiny of every single tax attorney and wannabe tax attorney in the country? Or would you rather wait until the IRS ( the most powerful department of our government) says you are good?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok, that's 2 solid "no"s. Anyone got a real reason?
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

  16. #20
    Points: 69,829, Level: 64
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 1,121
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Crepitus's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    1251179
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    27,224
    Points
    69,829
    Level
    64
    Thanks Given
    13,392
    Thanked 9,403x in 6,805 Posts
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    "hiding" implies some legal obligation to do so. He has no legal obligation to reveal his tax returns just like Chairman Maobama had no legal obligation to reveal his transcripts (despite the fact that most of his predecessor candidates did so. I suspect that Trump is doing what Obama did -- digging his heels in just b/c he's not going to be pushed around by people who are asking just to push a narrative. In litigation, I frequently refuse to turn over materials that I'm under no obligation to turn over that others have asked for. My sisters, both LWNJ's are all over facebook screaming about his tax returns and RUSSIA -- when I asked them calmly what they hoped to see they both, in separate emails, responded: RUSSIA. I asked for a clarification, they responded RUSSIA. One's an architect, one a school district superintendent. Bright women. Clueless about this.
    Ok, we're up to 2 solid "no"s and some legaleze.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO