Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,647x in 2,130 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brick-and-Mortar Stores Are Shuttering at a Record Pace

Brick-and-Mortar Stores Are Shuttering at a Record Pace

Years of overbuilding and the rise of online shopping have come to a head; malls as ‘energy suckers’

American retailers are closing stores at a record pace this year as they feel the fallout from decades of overbuilding and the rise of online shopping.

Just this past week, women’s apparel chain Bebe Stores Inc. said it would close its remaining 170 shops and sell only online, while teen retailer Rue21 Inc. announced plans to close about 400 of its 1,100 locations.

“There is no reason to believe that this will abate at any point in the foreseeable future,” said Mark Cohen, the director of retail studies for Columbia Business School and a former executive at Sears Canada Inc. and other department stores.

Through April 6, closings have been announced for 2,880 retail locations this year, including hundreds of....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/brick-a...ace-1492818818
    I guess all these retail sales clerks can get jobs as warehouse employees at online distribution centers. Oh, wait, they have robots for that. Ok, they can drive all the delivery vans for the online distribution centers. Oh, wait, they will soon have drones and robot trucks for that. Oh, wait, I know! They can survive on their yuge savings accounts while they go back to school and learn programming and computer repair!

Top 2 U.S. Jobs by Number Employed: Salespersons and Cashiers

In its annual report on wages and occupational employment, the BLS found that 4.6 million Americans worked in retail sales while 3.4 million more worked as cashiers, making up almost six percent of total U.S. employment.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...s-and-cashiers

That's a lot of computer repair people. All that beautiful money wasted on wages! Some bright lad will have to think up a repair robot to replace them.
    Wearing a mask with your nose sticking out is like wearing a condom on your testicles.

When out walking, look out for PROBlems. You know: maskless Plague Rats On Bicycles who blow past you without giving you time to get out of the way.

Ah, CONServatives, the Masters of Projection (MOPs). With CONServatives, every accusation is a confession. Weird, that.

............Oh, what fresh hell is this?
    ,,,........¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯
    ....... Not my circus, not my monkeys

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,402x in 27,956 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a personal problem. If you want to have a better job get better skills. Stop whining.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (04-22-2017),hanger4 (04-22-2017),Peter1469 (04-22-2017),Ravens Fan (04-23-2017),resister (04-22-2017)

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 2,058
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    OGIS's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    It is a personal problem. If you want to have a better job get better skills. Stop whining.
    Please tell the forum how an unemployed minimum wage retail clerk is supposed to do that. Colleges cost money. If Republicans have their way and starve public education it will cost even more. Should they: hit up their parents? Rob a bank? Go on welfare?

You people are like the sadist-rapist who holds down the struggling victim and keeps saying "Stop hitting yourself!"
    Wearing a mask with your nose sticking out is like wearing a condom on your testicles.

When out walking, look out for PROBlems. You know: maskless Plague Rats On Bicycles who blow past you without giving you time to get out of the way.

Ah, CONServatives, the Masters of Projection (MOPs). With CONServatives, every accusation is a confession. Weird, that.

,,,........¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OGIS For This Useful Post:

AeonPax (04-22-2017)

Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,402x in 27,956 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OGIS View Post
    Please tell the forum how an unemployed minimum wage retail clerk is supposed to do that. Colleges cost money. If Republicans have their way and starve public education it will cost even more. Should they: hit up their parents? Rob a bank? Go on welfare?

You people are like the sadist-rapist who holds down the struggling victim and keeps saying "Stop hitting yourself!"
    It is not my problem to solve. It is a personal problem. If you want to earn more be worth more. Stop whining. You are boring me.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,672x in 25,187 Posts
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please tell the forum how an unemployed minimum wage retail clerk is supposed to do that. Colleges cost money. If Republicans have their way and starve public education it will cost even more. Should they: hit up their parents? Rob a bank? Go on welfare? You people are like the sadist-rapist who holds down the struggling victim and keeps saying "Stop hitting yourself!"
    How is this a Republican issue? How is this a college issue? I represent 16 different contractors. Not one of them can get enough workers. Not one. Not a single one. The trades need people. They can't find them and when they do they struggle to get them through the drug test. When the do, they get great jobs with good benefits. My brother runs a car dealership. Same problem on his end. They can't get people to work.

Where I sit, it's largely a result of a lack of desire and drive rather than Republicans-hate-everybody. Sure, though, keep up that boogeyman theory. That'll help you in 2018.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Cthulhu (04-22-2017),hanger4 (04-22-2017),Peter1469 (04-22-2017),Ravens Fan (04-23-2017),resister (04-22-2017)

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 2,150
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,270x in 12,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After the last couple of times I went to the pool supply store trying to find a part and was told they could order it for me and it would take two weeks, and I ended up going online and getting it in three days for less money, I've stopped going to the pool supply store. Except for books purchased at author signings, to support the store sponsoring the event, it's Amazon or ABE, often for a huge discount. The only thing my wife ever goes to the store for is food - everything else, from shoes and clothes to birdseed and drugs and vitamins for the animals, comes in a box on the porch. It's been years since I set foot in a mall, and standalone stores seem to come and go around here faster than one can easily keep track. Online shopping has change virtually everything. Even large thrift store organizations, like Goodwill and the Salvation Army, have taken to selling on eBay.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (04-22-2017),MisterVeritis (04-22-2017),Peter1469 (04-22-2017),Ravens Fan (04-23-2017)

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its going to get much much worse, more stores will shutter, Sears, JcPenny and Kmart is on the brink and robots are coming in force. Its going to get very ugly for american workers.

Thats why its so very important to stop ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Croft (04-23-2017),Cthulhu (04-22-2017),resister (04-22-2017)

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 2,058
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    OGIS's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    It is not my problem to solve. It is a personal problem. If you want to earn more be worth more. Stop whining. You are boring me.
    Tiny_violins.jpg. Well, son, there's a real easy and OBVIOUS answer for that problem: put me on ignore and don't pollute my threads with your antimatter-wisdom.

,,,........¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,672x in 25,187 Posts
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are moving our offices b/c our two year old firm has outgrown our space. I bought a desk on eBay and learned that the company was in Cleveland. Drove up to his warehouse last Saturday and furnished most of the office with the same brand furniture used that my old firm bought (and we got in the divorce from our 93 year old firm) for 10 times the cost. Yes, it's used but they re-do it and once it hits my door it's used anyways. The Internet.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (04-22-2017)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hard to stop progress. Online shopping is replacing brick and mortar stores. That's just a fact. I'm sure blacksmiths felt similar when Henry Ford started flooding the streets with Model A's.

People have to shift as the times shift or they fall behind. We're entering a new phase in retail marketing. I order a LOT online. Because, it's so easy.

I don't know what the answer is, but the job market will have to change to accommodate progress.

A lot of my friends from Colorado are very upset about the cutting back on coal mining. It's their life-blood. It's what's supported their towns for decades. Now, alternative energy sources are increasing and starting to squeeze coal out. They, too, worry.

But, the world keeps turning and we must all learn to be flexible -- or perish.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

+ Reply to Thread