User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 180

Thread: Ann Coulter's Hate Speech not protected....

  1. #101

    tPF Moderator
    V.I.P
    Points: 724,956, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Chris's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    356911
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    118,594
    Points
    724,956
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    10,697
    Thanked 30,387x in 22,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    1415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    3693
    The university has reversed itself. They respect and support her first amendment rights. But the police had specific threats of violence -- video announcement @ UC Berkeley flip-flops on canceling Ann Coulter speech

  2. #102
    Points: 342,937, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    decedent's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    320730
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,667
    Points
    342,937
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    1,747
    Thanked 2,232x in 1,610 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    3215
    Ann Coulter, a conservative, wants to go to a liberal university to agitate. Some students want to protest her. Some alt-righters want to protest the protesters. It's not a matter of free speech as much as security.
    I have a big cook.

  3. #103

    tPF Moderator
    V.I.P
    Points: 724,956, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Chris's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    356911
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    118,594
    Points
    724,956
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    10,697
    Thanked 30,387x in 22,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    1415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    3693
    Quote Originally Posted by decedent View Post
    Ann Coulter, a conservative, wants to go to a liberal university to agitate. Some students want to protest her. Some alt-righters want to protest the protesters. It's not a matter of free speech as much as security.
    University Republicans invited her. It is a matter of free speech, and the threat of violence against her and others, see post # 101 link to video of Chancellor's announcement.

  4. #104
    Points: 188,921, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Cletus's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    168790
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    9,217
    Points
    188,921
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    1
    Thanked 4,846x in 3,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1698
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    He would be correct. Coulter's freedom of speech is not being squashed by the government, therefore, there is no violation.

    UC is a state supported school.

  5. #105
    V.I.P
    Points: 2,441,004, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience Points1 year registeredTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Karma
    2335542
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    GA/FL
    Posts
    32,177
    Points
    2,441,004
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    14,730
    Thanked 14,525x in 9,710 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    23390
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    UC is a state supported school.
    Correct.

  6. #106
    Points: 188,921, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Cletus's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    168790
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    9,217
    Points
    188,921
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    1
    Thanked 4,846x in 3,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1698
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    Correct.
    That makes it subject to First Amendment protections.

    I am not going to go back and read all 11 pages or whatever it is of this thread. I suspect the subject has been pretty well hashed out by now. The one thing I would comment on is something Chris said... he mentioned it was perplexing that UC would choose to silence the speaker instead of addressing the threat to the speaker. This is something I have commented on privately many times.

    When some person or group threatens a speaker for espousing views with which he disagrees, public institutions should never take the easy path and just cancel the address. Instead, they should encourage the speaker to go forth and make it clear that threats of violence will not kill free speech in this country.

    I watched a video clip yesterday of some thug from AntiFa hitting a Trump supporter with a sock that had a padlock in it. It opened up the guy's scalp like a razor. That guy should be hunted down and beat to a bloody pulp and put on public display as an example of what will happen if you try to use violence to block political speech. If you want to protest or speak out against a position, do so. That is your right and in some cases, your duty, but cross the line into violence and you have no place in our society.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

    Peter1469 (04-21-2017),resister (04-21-2017)

  8. #107

    tPF Moderator
    V.I.P
    Points: 724,956, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Chris's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    356911
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    118,594
    Points
    724,956
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    10,697
    Thanked 30,387x in 22,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    1415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    3693
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    That makes it subject to First Amendment protections.

    I am not going to go back and read all 11 pages or whatever it is of this thread. I suspect the subject has been pretty well hashed out by now. The one thing I would comment on is something Chris said... he mentioned it was perplexing that UC would choose to silence the speaker instead of addressing the threat to the speaker. This is something I have commented on privately many times.

    When some person or group threatens a speaker for espousing views with which he disagrees, public institutions should never take the easy path and just cancel the address. Instead, they should encourage the speaker to go forth and make it clear that threats of violence will not kill free speech in this country.

    I watched a video clip yesterday of some thug from AntiFa hitting a Trump supporter with a sock that had a padlock in it. It opened up the guy's scalp like a razor. That guy should be hunted down and beat to a bloody pulp and put on public display as an example of what will happen if you try to use violence to block political speech. If you want to protest or speak out against a position, do so. That is your right and in some cases, your duty, but cross the line into violence and you have no place in our society.

    That's the impression I get, even in the latest reversal by UC Berkeley. The police were at the announcemnet, and they it was said got threats of violence, but the focus is still on Coulter and not those issuing threats. At least some statement should be made denouncing them.

  9. #108
    Points: 361,648, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocial
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    275408
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    26,507
    Points
    361,648
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    16,202
    Thanked 6,765x in 5,429 Posts
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2783
    Quote Originally Posted by decedent View Post
    Ann Coulter, a conservative, wants to go to a liberal university to agitate. Some students want to protest her. Some alt-righters want to protest the protesters. It's not a matter of free speech as much as security.
    No. Ann Coulter, a conservative was invited to come speak by a student group. Ann accepted. Then the University began making demands. She accepted every demand. Then the University said she could not come. She said, "I'm coming, anyway."

    Then the University, finding itself on the wrong side of this issue (where we typically find you) changed course. They used a common ploy. They agreed she could speak but had to speak on a different day. Nope. She is coming on the original agreed-to day.

    Good for Ann Coulter. We need to be prepared to meet left wing violence with mainstream violence.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of states to propose amendments.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

    Peter1469 (04-21-2017)

  11. #109
    Points: 361,648, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocial
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    275408
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    26,507
    Points
    361,648
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    16,202
    Thanked 6,765x in 5,429 Posts
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2783
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I watched a video clip yesterday of some thug from AntiFa hitting a Trump supporter with a sock that had a padlock in it. It opened up the guy's scalp like a razor. That guy should be hunted down and beat to a bloody pulp and put on public display as an example of what will happen if you try to use violence to block political speech. If you want to protest or speak out against a position, do so. That is your right and in some cases, your duty, but cross the line into violence and you have no place in our society.
    I agree. Meet violence with violence. The law has become lawless. The people will need to take matters into their own hands.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of states to propose amendments.

  12. #110

    tPF Moderator
    V.I.P
    Points: 724,956, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Chris's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    356911
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    118,594
    Points
    724,956
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    10,697
    Thanked 30,387x in 22,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    1415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    3693
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    I agree. Meet violence with violence. The law has become lawless. The people will need to take matters into their own hands.
    No one should emulate the violent left.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO