User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Ann Coulter's Hate Speech not protected....

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,902x in 54,719 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The university has reversed itself. They respect and support her first amendment rights. But the police had specific threats of violence -- video announcement @ UC Berkeley flip-flops on canceling Ann Coulter speech

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 581
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    decedent's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,794x in 2,008 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ann Coulter, a conservative, wants to go to a liberal university to agitate. Some students want to protest her. Some alt-righters want to protest the protesters. It's not a matter of free speech as much as security.
    I have a big cook.

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by decedent View Post
    Ann Coulter, a conservative, wants to go to a liberal university to agitate. Some students want to protest her. Some alt-righters want to protest the protesters. It's not a matter of free speech as much as security.
    University Republicans invited her. It is a matter of free speech, and the threat of violence against her and others, see post # 101 link to video of Chancellor's announcement.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,379x in 15,848 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    He would be correct. Coulter's freedom of speech is not being squashed by the government, therefore, there is no violation.

UC is a state supported school.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    UC is a state supported school.
    Correct.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,379x in 15,848 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    Correct.
    That makes it subject to First Amendment protections.

I am not going to go back and read all 11 pages or whatever it is of this thread. I suspect the subject has been pretty well hashed out by now. The one thing I would comment on is something Chris said... he mentioned it was perplexing that UC would choose to silence the speaker instead of addressing the threat to the speaker. This is something I have commented on privately many times.

When some person or group threatens a speaker for espousing views with which he disagrees, public institutions should never take the easy path and just cancel the address. Instead, they should encourage the speaker to go forth and make it clear that threats of violence will not kill free speech in this country.

I watched a video clip yesterday of some thug from AntiFa hitting a Trump supporter with a sock that had a padlock in it. It opened up the guy's scalp like a razor. That guy should be hunted down and beat to a bloody pulp and put on public display as an example of what will happen if you try to use violence to block political speech. If you want to protest or speak out against a position, do so. That is your right and in some cases, your duty, but cross the line into violence and you have no place in our society.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (04-21-2017),resister (04-21-2017)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That makes it subject to First Amendment protections.

I am not going to go back and read all 11 pages or whatever it is of this thread. I suspect the subject has been pretty well hashed out by now. The one thing I would comment on is something Chris said... he mentioned it was perplexing that UC would choose to silence the speaker instead of addressing the threat to the speaker. This is something I have commented on privately many times.

When some person or group threatens a speaker for espousing views with which he disagrees, public institutions should never take the easy path and just cancel the address. Instead, they should encourage the speaker to go forth and make it clear that threats of violence will not kill free speech in this country.

I watched a video clip yesterday of some thug from AntiFa hitting a Trump supporter with a sock that had a padlock in it. It opened up the guy's scalp like a razor. That guy should be hunted down and beat to a bloody pulp and put on public display as an example of what will happen if you try to use violence to block political speech. If you want to protest or speak out against a position, do so. That is your right and in some cases, your duty, but cross the line into violence and you have no place in our society.

That's the impression I get, even in the latest reversal by UC Berkeley. The police were at the announcemnet, and they it was said got threats of violence, but the focus is still on Coulter and not those issuing threats. At least some statement should be made denouncing them.

Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,245x in 27,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by decedent View Post
    No. Ann Coulter, a conservative was invited to come speak by a student group. Ann accepted. Then the University began making demands. She accepted every demand. Then the University said she could not come. She said, "I'm coming, anyway."

Then the University, finding itself on the wrong side of this issue (where we typically find you) changed course. They used a common ploy. They agreed she could speak but had to speak on a different day. Nope. She is coming on the original agreed-to day.

Good for Ann Coulter. We need to be prepared to meet left wing violence with mainstream violence.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (04-21-2017)

Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,245x in 27,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Meet violence with violence. The law has become lawless. The people will need to take matters into their own hands.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    I agree. Meet violence with violence. The law has become lawless. The people will need to take matters into their own hands.
    No one should emulate the violent left.

+ Reply to Thread