User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: If gay marriage becomes legal...

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carygrant View Post
    There is no necessary logical connection between the two terms --- I wish you did not get involved in subjects where you have no aptitude .
    I can " know" that 2+2=4 .
    But that knowledge depends on the "faith" I have in Mathematics to be eternally true in terms of the fundamental constructs assigned to it .
    If you understood sub atomic physics you would know that "knowledge" is possibly impossible --- see particles in two locations simultaneously, and incapable of definition --- variable form dependent on being observed or not ( wave versus energy packets etc )
    Someone once said --- Was it a lucid Mister D?--- a little knowledge is very , very , very dangerous .
    Sorry, but if you know something is true, then you have no need for faith it's true.

Knowing 1+1=2 is true by mathematical definition doesn't require faith.

Science is not true in the same sense, it is incomplete, tentative and probabilistic. But that doesn't make it a matter of faith.

If you understood sub atomic physics you would know that "knowledge" is possibly impossible --- see particles in two locations simultaneously, and incapable of definition --- variable form dependent on being observed or not ( wave versus energy packets etc )
    Huh? Are you with that synatactic mess trying to say something about the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle? Indeed, a little knowledge, on your part, is a dangerous thing.

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,300x in 4,607 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traditional marriage rests on the foundation of biblical teaching as well as cultural tradition. Theology, legal precedent, and historical experience all support the traditional definition of marriage. Once you begin to redefine marriage, any sexual relationship can be called a marriage.

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Carygrant's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 282x in 246 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Knowing 1+1=2 is true by mathematical definition doesn't require faith.
    Huh? Are you with that synatactic mess trying to say something about the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?
    The thought of casting pearls before swine does cross my mind .
    Anyhow , I am pleased that you kept up with the first part where mathematically we agreed that agreeing 1+1 =2 is useful .
    However ,I notice your comprehension ran out once I showed you that this is not true at the sub atomic level and that Reality works in different ways.
    Bravo for grappling with Mister Heisenberg and in the same way Mister Schroeder's cat experiment might give you further insight .
    But the area that has escaped you totally is seeing that these illustrations -- and many more separate examples ---show that 1+1 does not equal two 2 , except where you localise time as a variable and work outside of the world where reality exists in its most pure form .To all intents , to a limiting factor of almost 100% in the Universe .
    Or , put another way , it suits you ( unsurprisingly, in fairness) to confuse Reality with your minuscule experience of the Universe --- essential to you but irrelevant and untrue from a Universal perspective .
    So , however difficult it is to grapple with , your most cherished assumed possession --- 1+1 =2, is untrue 99.99recurring per cent of all instances .
    That you believe otherwise is an article of faith which I can appreciate you not wanting to accept .
    But science is not interested in "wanting" , except when dealing with the possibility of paranormal or mental forces . A completely different topic .
    What was it you wanted to say about a little knowledge ------------------------- ?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carygrant View Post
    The thought of casting pearls before swine does cross my mind .
    Anyhow , I am pleased that you kept up with the first part where mathematically we agreed that agreeing 1+1 =2 is useful .
    However ,I notice your comprehension ran out once I showed you that this is not true at the sub atomic level and that Reality works in different ways.
    Bravo for grappling with Mister Heisenberg and in the same way Mister Schroeder's cat experiment might give you further insight .
    But the area that has escaped you totally is seeing that these illustrations -- and many more separate examples ---show that 1+1 does not equal two 2 , except where you localise time as a variable and work outside of the world where reality exists in its most pure form .To all intents , to a limiting factor of almost 100% in the Universe .
    Or , put another way , it suits you ( unsurprisingly, in fairness) to confuse Reality with your minuscule experience of the Universe --- essential to you but irrelevant and untrue from a Universal perspective .
    So , however difficult it is to grapple with , your most cherished assumed possession --- 1+1 =2, is untrue 99.99recurring per cent of all instances .
    That you believe otherwise is an article of faith which I can appreciate you not wanting to accept .
    But science is not interested in "wanting" , except when dealing with the possibility of paranormal or mental forces . A completely different topic .
    What was it you wanted to say about a little knowledge ------------------------- ?
    It's so good to see we agree!

The truth of 1 + 1 = 2 is not empirical thus uncertainty doesn't enter the picture.

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    killianr1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 212x in 138 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys must be really bored or you are doing some damn good drugs.

Any who it is really not about gay marriage but equal protection under the law. The act of marriage may be the easiest method to become covered by equal protection under the law however "marriage" does have a connnotation that relates to a religious ceremony. There is the crux of the matter.

+ Reply to Thread