Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 185x in 118 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrassrootsConservative View Post
    I like it because it makes me feel powerful when I listen to it. I know that probably sounds really absurd, but it's true.
    Some people like happy, some people like sad, some people like... whatever... chill if you wanna call it that.
    I like heavy music, it soothes me in a way I can't explain. But it's all musical, rhythm, tempo, vocals (even if you don't enjoy them), but I know how you feel. I used to deny that Rap was music until someone very important to me explained what music is.
    I was trained in music and it's hard to throw away that training in order to listen to a type of music. Notes are really important to me, and when those are taken away, it's hard for me to think of it as music. I have a hard time with a lot of rap as well. I know that technically they're music but it's hard for me to think of it that way in my head. The thing I don't like about most rap is that if you listen to it without thinking about what the words mean, like if it was just gibberish lyrics, it's not very interesting, the words are absolutely *crucial* for it to make its point--don't get me wrong, there are some rap songs I really get into, especially when I can clearly understand the lyrics.

My mind is racing most of the time about stuff I'd rather not think about. When I hear grunty screaming cookiemonster-vocals metal with guitars that have so much distortion that notes aren't really a thing anymore, it makes me feel anxious and uncomfortable, something I take medications to try to calm.
    Sorry--but I do not accept the idea that being intolerant of intolerance is THE SAME THING as being intolerant of anything else.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kizzume For This Useful Post:

GrassrootsConservative (11-03-2012),oceanloverOH (11-05-2012)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ICP is great for it's comic value.
    my junk is ugly

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

GrassrootsConservative (11-03-2012)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizzume View Post
    I was trained in music and it's hard to throw away that training in order to listen to a type of music. Notes are really important to me, and when those are taken away, it's hard for me to think of it as music. I have a hard time with a lot of rap as well. I know that technically they're music but it's hard for me to think of it that way in my head. The thing I don't like about most rap is that if you listen to it without thinking about what the words mean, like if it was just gibberish lyrics, it's not very interesting, the words are absolutely *crucial* for it to make its point.

My mind is racing most of the time about stuff I'd rather not think about. When I hear grunty screaming cookiemonster-vocals metal with guitars that have so much distortion that notes aren't really a thing anymore, it makes me feel anxious and uncomfortable, something I take medications to try to calm.
    This was probably 25 years ago, but I was involved in the band scene for a while in my day. Buddy of mine was into this progressively hardcore musician career route. He went to Fla then to CA, cut a few CD's but never got anywhere with it.

Anyway, I was never into the real hard stuff and I was hanging out at one of his rehearsals and during a break I jumped up behind the mic and started grunting out some $#@! just to $#@! around. They wanted me to consider singing for them.

Yeah, right.
    my junk is ugly

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Kizzume's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    This was probably 25 years ago, but I was involved in the band scene for a while in my day. Buddy of mine was into this progressively hardcore musician career route. He went to Fla then to CA, cut a few CD's but never got anywhere with it.

Anyway, I was never into the real hard stuff and I was hanging out at one of his rehearsals and during a break I jumped up behind the mic and started grunting out some $#@! just to $#@! around. They wanted me to consider singing for them.

Yeah, right.
    The last band I was lead vocalist in we at least got a couple songs recorded:

But I'm mucking up the thread a little, sorry...
    Sorry--but I do not accept the idea that being intolerant of intolerance is THE SAME THING as being intolerant of anything else.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kizzume For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (11-03-2012),GrassrootsConservative (11-03-2012)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hah - your thread dude.

You have a pretty distinctive voice and it sounds like you can use it. Smithereens-ish?

Not a bad tune at all.
    my junk is ugly

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Kizzume (11-03-2012)

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 764
    Achievements:
    BooHoo's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 159x in 105 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    Beatles - White Album
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Madonna - Like A Prayer
    Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection
    Paul McCartney - Chaos and Creation in the Backyard
    Beck - Sea Change
    Yes - Fragile
    Moonraker - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    I like quite a few of the ones you listed. I also really love anything by Duran Duran, The Cure and Adam Ant lol

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 764
    Achievements:
    BooHoo's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 159x in 105 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was trained in music and it's hard to throw away that training in order to listen to a type of music. Notes are really important to me, and when those are taken away, it's hard for me to think of it as music. I have a hard time with a lot of rap as well. I know that technically they're music but it's hard for me to think of it that way in my head. The thing I don't like about most rap is that if you listen to it without thinking about what the words mean, like if it was just gibberish lyrics, it's not very interesting, the words are absolutely *crucial* for it to make its point--don't get me wrong, there are some rap songs I really get into, especially when I can clearly understand the lyrics.

Cookie Monster vocals LMAO!!!! Too funny!!

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Achievements:
    Kizzume's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, another one:

Blade Runner -- Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (get the REAL one by Vangelis not the orchestra one)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,120
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Deadwood's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,752x in 1,198 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel the same way about heavy metal, but respect those who do like it.

I have never been able to get into rap at all and wonder why it has to always be played so $#@!ing loud.

Anything else is a go, classical, jazz, pop and rock...although I have a hard time with military bagpipe music....one song and I'm usually done.

I like good banjo work and love a well played steel peddle guitar. I have absolutely no musical background whatsoever...

In told this story to IgetitAlready:

I have a deep baritone voice and decided I wanted to learn to sing. A German woman, classical songstress agreed to give me some lessons. I think she was a bit in love with me because she hated teaching and especially adults. So I went to her place and she played a note on the piano and asked me to sing it. I did. Then she played another note and again I sand it. This happened several times and each time she would go "hmmmm, interesting."
    When she was done she turned to me and asked "who told you, you were a bass?" I looked at her not understanding and she continued "You sang each note perfectly...one octave low."
    "What's an octave?" I asked. I think that was where she stopped being in love with me.
    I tried out for a Barbershop Shop Singer's group who said they could teach anyone. They kicked me out a month later. Staying in key for me is like walking from Nome to Cleveland....in the winter......naked.

I listen and when no one is anywhere around I sing along. The only song I can sing all the way through and stay sort of in key is the Battle Hymn of the Republic. Consequently I am not in big demand for sing alongs and avoid kareoke at all cost.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadwood For This Useful Post:

Kizzume (11-03-2012)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    I have never been able to get into rap at all and wonder why it has to always be played so $#@!ing loud.
    my junk is ugly

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

GrassrootsConservative (11-03-2012)

+ Reply to Thread