User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Love Technology

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,705x in 54,607 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I was that way with cell phones for years, refused to go that route, once I did I found it a major convenience.

You don't have to upgrade every new version. My parents have had the same basic cellphone for ages now. I looked at Windows 8 for about a week, before I decided it just doesn't add enough to a desktop 'puter. But my cell phone plan allows fairly cheap upgrade every two years, so for a couple $100 why not I figure. I save by buying Dickies at Walmart. :-)

Hasn't this planned obsolescence been true for much of what's on the market, cars and trucks, appliances, etc. It generates wealth.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I was that way with cell phones for years, refused to go that route, once I did I found it a major convenience.

You don't have to upgrade every new version. My parents have had the same basic cellphone for ages now. I looked at Windows 8 for about a week, before I decided it just doesn't add enough to a desktop 'puter. But my cell phone plan allows fairly cheap upgrade every two years, so for a couple $100 why not I figure. I save by buying Dickies at Walmart. :-)

Hasn't this planned obsolescence been true for much of what's on the market, cars and trucks, appliances, etc. It generates wealth.
    You don't seem like a Dickies guy.

Agreed - the concept is "you can't sell something you can't re-sell again" or whatever, and maybe it's me but I have little patience with $#@! that is designed to be cumbersome and complicated. And I'm not a tech idiot either, my standards are just higher.

So I find those niches that work for me. Cars? No $#@!ing way am I getting one loaded with all that electronic bull$#@! - not a $#@!ing chance. I drive an F-250 that doesn't even have carpeting and has manual windows and it kicks ass. My second car is a stick hatchback, for gas mileage. Wife drives something wifey, but it's not stupid with options.

I can make an interesting suggestion though, IMO our standard of living has recently experienced a "correction" of sorts and I am thinking that simplicity and practicality may make a comeback at some point. Considering the deepening divide between classes there will still be silly luxury stuff, but I see a demand for simplicity around the corner.
    my junk is ugly

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,299x in 4,606 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simplicity is better when it comes to autos. I have what people call a sports car and those electronic windows have failed twice now and had to have it fixed. The old truck, manual windows never failed me and still runs great.

+ Reply to Thread