Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most homicides in U.S. occurred in 5 percent of counties, says study

The homicide rate may be rising in some U.S. cities, but slayings are still a localized phenomenon, with most U.S. counties not seeing a single homicide in 2014.
    The vast majority of homicides occurred in just 5 percent of counties, and even there the murders were localized, with some neighborhoods untouched by the violence, according to a new report released Tuesday by the Crime Prevention Research Center.
    I just think most people have a real misunderstanding about how heavily concentrated murders are,” said John R. Lott Jr., the author of the study. “You have over half the murders in the United States taking place in 2 percent of the counties.”

President Trump vowed in his inaugural address to end “American carnage” in the nation, especially in crime-ridden inner cities, and the report offers more data points that depict a distinct urban-rural divide in the U.S.
    About 70 percent of the counties, accounting for 20 percent of the U.S. population, had no more than one murder in 2014, with 54 percent of counties experiencing zero murders, the report found.
    Meanwhile, 5 percent of the counties, which made up nearly half the population, accounted for more than two-thirds of murders in the country, with the highest numbers concentrated in areas around major cities like Chicago and Baltimore.

Those results shouldn’t be entirely surprising, as other factors like poverty and human activity are also concentrated, said David Weisburd, director of the Center for Evidence-Based Crime Policy at George Mason University.
    “All of these issues are factors behind why one place has more of something than the other,” Mr. Weisburd said.
    But even within cities, the divide was stark in certain regions. Los Angeles County saw a high number of homicides in 2014, but there were “virtually no murders” in the northwestern part of the county, the study found.

It also found that in Washington, D.C., whose 105 murders put it in the top 20, the vast majority occurred in the eastern part of the city and that the area around the U.S. Capitol was “extremely safe.”

Mr. Weisburd said that in his studies of larger cities, about 1 percent of the streets produce 25 percent of the crime and about 5 percent of the streets produce 50 percent of the crime.
    “It’s almost exactly the same concentration in New York, Tel Aviv, Cincinnati, Sacramento,” he said.
    Factors that account for such micro-differences can include population density, the number of employees on a given block, and even arterial roads in the area, Mr. Weisburd said.
    “So already, you could say that if you build an apartment building in a street and you have a 7-Eleven or other kind of store that [is] employing people and it’s on an arterial road, you ought to be ready [to] try to keep crime down there,” he said.
    One difference in the county-by-county numbers was that gun ownership was heaviest in rural and suburban areas where there were few murders, Mr. Lott said.
    “It has to do with lots of things. I don’t want to push it too far,” he said. “But the thing is, it’s still just striking.”
    “The places where we see the murders tend to be those area[s], the urban areas, and even tiny areas within those areas, where legal gun ownership is itself relatively rare,” he said.
    Other recent studies have shown that the U.S. murder rate is being driven to a large degree by the prevalence of such incidents in a relatively small number of cities that have seen a recent spike. Baltimore, Chicago and Houston accounted for about half of the increases in homicides in major cities between 2014 and 2016, according to a recent report from the Brennan Center for Justice.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-countys-says/
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,631
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    patrickt's Avatar Senior Member
    Living in Oaxaca, Mexico, born in Memphis and worked in Colorado
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,009x in 3,481 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a friend, recently deceased, who owned over two dozen guns but still worried that there were "gaps in my defensive system". When I pointed out that due to his age, his race, his location, and his lifestyle, he was one of the safest people in the country it didn't help. When logic and emotion conflict, logic almost always wins.

I'm a skeptic by nature but I can believe that five percent of the counties account for 67% of our murders.
    Last edited by patrickt; 04-26-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one is ever "safe" merely because they own guns. You are safer but never safe. A while ago there was an article about a gun owner that had guns all over his home, except in the one place he got caught without it and it cost him his life. He was in the bathroom when his house was invaded, he never made it off the toilet and out of the bathroom.

Call me a nutcase I dont mind, I have a gun in each of my bathrooms and still Im not perfectly safe.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Large cities usually have more violence. They also tend to have more problems with firearms. Socioeconomic status, gangs, and so forth are contributing factors.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Common Sense (04-26-2017)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,631
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    patrickt's Avatar Senior Member
    Living in Oaxaca, Mexico, born in Memphis and worked in Colorado
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,009x in 3,481 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Large cities usually have more violence. They also tend to have more problems with firearms. Socioeconomic status, gangs, and so forth are contributing factors.
    You forgot to mention decades of liberal Democrat control. The problem they have with firearms is that only the criminals and a few police officers have guns and the feral animals are hunting in packs now.

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Mini Me's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,659x in 1,294 Posts
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    No one is ever "safe" merely because they own guns. You are safer but never safe. A while ago there was an article about a gun owner that had guns all over his home, except in the one place he got caught without it and it cost him his life. He was in the bathroom when his house was invaded, he never made it off the toilet and out of the bathroom.

Call me a nutcase I dont mind, I have a gun in each of my bathrooms and still Im not perfectly safe.
    That's HORRID! Dying on the crapper with your pants down is the worst thing that could happen!

+ Reply to Thread