Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,264x in 12,387 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NapRover View Post
    If we're not in favor of "conversion therapy" can we also not favor LGBT indoctrination at the taxpayers expense?

http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2015/06/15118/
    Is it also wrong, in your view, for a school to teach toleration and understanding for people of other races, religions and nationalities? GLBT people are a fact of life, and learning about life and the world is what education is supposed to be all about. If parents want to ensure that their particular prejudices and/or religion-based feelings about certain groups of people are assimilated by their own children, they are pretty much free to do so, as long as such indoctrination doesn't become abusive.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Ravens Fan (05-02-2017)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Fan View Post
    I think it should be illegal to subject minors to any sort of "conversion therapy". As the linked article in the OP says, it can have lasting mental effects on them that often leads to suicide. Once you are an adult, if you want to try it, that's on you.
    If we ban conversion therapy, we're still not getting to the root of the problem, which is the parents and the immediate circle of the gay person's acquaintances who are un-accepting of who he/she is. The type of parents who would send a child to conversion therapy are the type of parents who could easily make life so miserable for their child in other ways that he/she commits suicide. But, we really have no control over the dogma present in these dysfunctional families. So, I don't think we'd see an appreciable, if any, reduction in suicide rates.
    As to the idea that gays are born perfect, I don't think anybody is born perfect but having an unpopular sexual attraction is not an illness, IMO.

While not trying to attack Christianity, I do believe that the verses in Leviticus dealing with homosexuality were misinterpreted, and we have discussed this here several times before. Personally, besides the fact that I am agnostic, I have a hard time believing anything that man writes and claims to be the "word of God". It is an effective way to control the masses though.
    It's not just Christianity -- Islam is even less tolerant. And yet, if you care to check out the relationship between David and Jonathan, it seems anything but platonic.

As a society, though, we're making progress. We're reaching out to those who are different from us and letting them know that the differences are superficial - not anything important.

We're going to find holdouts, sadly, in religious corners, but that, too will change, as the old, embittered ones die off and the new generation, who doesn't notice the differences as being any big deal, raise a whole new generation of children who do not judge a person by such silly standards.

But, you see how Obama's pushing of various social engineering avenues led to a resistance that elected Trump? The same type of response is likely to happen when we shove additional regulations down the throats of the religious. They'll push back.

My motto is that you can affect change in one of two ways -- either by "helping" or by "hindering." In most cases, hindering backfires, while helping exacts lasting, beneficial change.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Ravens Fan (05-02-2017),William (05-02-2017)

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,275
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ravens Fan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,293x in 4,922 Posts
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    If we ban conversion therapy, we're still not getting to the root of the problem, which is the parents and the immediate circle of the gay person's acquaintances who are un-accepting of who he/she is. The type of parents who would send a child to conversion therapy are the type of parents who could easily make life so miserable for their child in other ways that he/she commits suicide. But, we really have no control over the dogma present in these dysfunctional families. So, I don't think we'd see an appreciable, if any, reduction in suicide rates.

It's not just Christianity -- Islam is even less tolerant. And yet, if you care to check out the relationship between David and Jonathan, it seems anything but platonic.

As a society, though, we're making progress. We're reaching out to those who are different from us and letting them know that the differences are superficial - not anything important.

We're going to find holdouts, sadly, in religious corners, but that, too will change, as the old, embittered ones die off and the new generation, who doesn't notice the differences as being any big deal, raise a whole new generation of children who do not judge a person by such silly standards.

But, you see how Obama's pushing of various social engineering avenues led to a resistance that elected Trump? The same type of response is likely to happen when we shove additional regulations down the throats of the religious. They'll push back.

My motto is that you can affect change in one of two ways -- either by "helping" or by "hindering." In most cases, hindering backfires, while helping exacts lasting, beneficial change.
    I wasn't trying to show support for banning it all together. I think that option should be available for adults who really think it will help. I just do not think children should be allowed to do it. I don't think children should be allowed to have any permanent sex change type operations/treatments either.

I agree that there are many other factors that cause suicide in gay people, but this one is proven and preventable, IMO. As to the root, the most we can do is educate. As more people find out friends or family is gay, their attitudes tend to change on the subject. Some will never change, but there isn't a lot that can be done about that.

I agree with most of the rest you wrote though. Hearts and minds takes longer, but is a much stronger way to create change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ravens Fan For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (05-02-2017)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,156
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Crepitus's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,440x in 9,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcfieldz View Post
    Franklin Graham
    on Friday

Now Democrats are proposing a bill to ban conversion therapy in the United States, saying that LGBTQ people were born perfect. Actually, they are very misled. We were all born imperfect, with sinful natures—yet loved by God who offers us forgiveness and wholeness through faith in His Son, Jesus Christ. Homosexuality is defined by God as sin, an abomination to Him. There’s one “conversion therapy” that works for all sin, and that is asking Jesus Christ to come into our hearts. He can transform and heal our lives, making us new. The Bible tells us, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come” (2 Cor. 5:17).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0bb2d08700600

Cab anyone save our world? Satan is gaining ground and souls.
    Don't worry man, your fellow religious wack-a-doodles in congress will never let it happen.

P.S. Did you know you are aligning yourself with muslim extremists when you say things like that?
    People who think a movie about plastic dolls is trying to turn their kids gay or trans are now officially known as

Barbie Q’s

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,530x in 55,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Conversion therapy doesn't work.

Regardless, none of the government's business, what people choose--and for minors, what parents choose.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (05-02-2017)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 749
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    NapRover's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,636x in 1,083 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Is it also wrong, in your view, for a school to teach toleration and understanding for people of other races, religions and nationalities? GLBT people are a fact of life, and learning about life and the world is what education is supposed to be all about. If parents want to ensure that their particular prejudices and/or religion-based feelings about certain groups of people are assimilated by their own children, they are pretty much free to do so, as long as such indoctrination doesn't become abusive.
    Of course it's not wrong. What is wrong, though, it tolerance of the teaching of "if it feels good, do it". It is responsible to teach the costs and results of sexual promiscuity and hedonism.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NapRover View Post
    Of course it's not wrong. What is wrong, though, it tolerance of the teaching of "if it feels good, do it". It is responsible to teach the costs and results of sexual promiscuity and hedonism.
    If you think about it -- supporting same-sex marriage reduces the incidence of promiscuity in the gay community, just as in the heterosexual community.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 529
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    rcfieldz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,145x in 909 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry but from my life experience it is wrong. And just because there are people who are not really religious but because they wear a crucifix and attend a church and have become tolerant(which means they believe in non-truths) some think it is right. My biggest bewilderment is how come God and Faith has not shown them what is right and correct. I just have a hard time believing that they are so mislead. I used to think life is life. I cannot change what people think. Well I am not going to preach what I don't believe and I'm sorry if your beliefs are not like mine. I can only pray that God and faith are working as some people say, It's All Part Of God's Plan." I think that saying leads one into a false belief. God doesn't plan on people who are confused about their sex. I don't say it's unnatural. It's the illusion that Satan wants the world to see.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,793x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't care what adults do, but conversion therapy should be illegal for minors.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcfieldz View Post
    I'm sorry but from my life experience it is wrong. And just because there are people who are not really religious but because they wear a crucifix and attend a church and have become tolerant(which means they believe in non-truths) some think it is right. My biggest bewilderment is how come God and Faith has not shown them what is right and correct. I just have a hard time believing that they are so mislead. I used to think life is life. I cannot change what people think. Well I am not going to preach what I don't believe and I'm sorry if your beliefs are not like mine. I can only pray that God and faith are working as some people say, It's All Part Of God's Plan." I think that saying leads one into a false belief. God doesn't plan on people who are confused about their sex. I don't say it's unnatural. It's the illusion that Satan wants the world to see.
    Just remember, David and Jonathan had a homosexual relationship and yet David was "perfect in God's eyes."

Homosexuality isn't a "mistake." It's natural, albeit less so than heterosexuality, but it's not a mistake. Nothing is wrong. Nothing needs to be fixed, save the antiquated ideas of some who have yet to come to grips with the fact that not every human being on this planet is identical. It's our differences that keep life interesting.

If there is a God, and I strongly doubt there is, She would not want some of Her creations alienating and judging Her other creations, just because they thought they were icky.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

William (05-02-2017)

+ Reply to Thread