Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,794x in 2,008 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    But with that limited experience with comic books qualification established, when it comes to almost anything being designated as "just for kids", I tend to balk.
    Despite playing tons of sports, I'm a real nerd. I watch Rick and Morty, Bob's Burgers, Samurai Jack, and Archer. I don't think these are generally considered "kids shows" since some are on Adult Swim. I doubt many kids would enjoy Bob's Burgers or Archer.

But as for kids' shows go, I would necessarily walk away from Storm Hawks, Phineas and Ferb, or Fairly Odd Parents.

As for comics, the fellow in this video explains them well. This video is about the first Injustice season. It's the best series I've ever read. It portrays Superman as an authoritarian who cracks down on crime all over the world with a heavy hand. It works, and crime is reduced, but at the cost of liberty. Batman and a tiny band of heroes resist as best they can, but how can you fight the likes of the Justice League?

I have a big cook.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to decedent For This Useful Post:

resister (06-05-2017)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,268
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Hal Jordan's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,795x in 4,453 Posts
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I've read of Injustice has been great, and definitely not meant for kids. It also highlights the link between the comics world and the video game world.
    "For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'." John Greenleaf Whittier

"Our minds control our bodies. Our bodies control our enemies. Our enemies control jack shit by the time we're done with them." Stick

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hal Jordan wrote:
    Actually, the comparison to the video game industry is a very apt one. The 80s is when the comic industry really began breaking off the shackles of the CCA and building a lot more focus on comics aimed at adults, which is where the majority of the focus is now. The push exploded in the 90s. I think that, given the timing, the change in comics affected the change in gaming and vice versa.
    I would say that the gaming analogy to the Comics Code Authority, the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB for short), still has a fair amount of power. The difference between the two, as I understand it, is that the CCA imposes outright bans on certain types of content? (I remember that, in the Sonic comics, they decided not to adapt the video game Shadow the Hedgehog in comic form because that one revolved around gun play and apparently the CCA wouldn't let them for that reason. Not that I minded because it was a poor game anyway and their adaptations were usually the worst stories. ) The ESRB doesn't actually do that. They're more like the Motion Picture Association of America, which stopped flat-out banning content back in the 1960s. But like how parents still pay attention to movie ratings, they still pay attention to game ratings as well. But as far as attempts to formally censor games (and there has been no shortage), those pretty well ended with a Supreme Court ruling in 2010 that defined video games as a constitutionally-protected artistic medium.

But yeah, it's possible that there was some influence from the world of comics, though I'm not sure how direct it was. I wouldn't characterize the comic-inspired games around back in the '90s as boundary-pushing. The ones that prompted the Senate investigation that led to the creation of the ESRB were like the original Mortal Kombat and Doom and Night Trap: material that, nearest I can tell, was not related to the comic books universe. In the 2000s, boundary-pushing indeed became sort of the rule in gaming in a way sounds similar to what you describe happening in comics in the '90s, with Grand Theft Auto III, GTA IV, and God of War emerging as the top sellers. In the current decade, that seems to have tapered off a bit, though the target market itself hasn't changed. I wouldn't characterize any of the games I've just listed as, you know, socially positive or anything. They pushed boundaries just for the sake of doing so. But games needed to establish the right to have mature content because there actually are a lot of socially positive games that take on serious topics.

decedent wrote:
    Despite playing tons of sports, I'm a real nerd. I watch Rick and Morty, Bob's Burgers, Samurai Jack, and Archer. I don't think these are generally considered "kids shows" since some are on Adult Swim. I doubt many kids would enjoy Bob's Burgers or Archer.
    I enjoy Bob's Burgers and am LOVING the new season of Samurai Jack! I wish there were more action cartoons for adults like Samurai Jack in particular because it gets old all of them being comedies. We seem to have this cultural bias against action cartoons for adults that I hope this new Samurai Jack season chips away at a bit. (I'm also a big fan of Attack on Titan, though it's worth adding that, believe it or not, in its native Japan that's not actually per se considered an adult show.)
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 05-14-2017 at 10:50 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

decedent (06-06-2017)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,268
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Hal Jordan's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,795x in 4,453 Posts
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    I would say that the gaming analogy to the Comics Code Authority, the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB for short), still has a fair amount of power. The difference between the two, as I understand it, is that the CCA imposes outright bans on certain types of content? (I remember that, in the Sonic comics, they decided not to adapt the video game Shadow the Hedgehog in comic form because that one revolved around gun play and apparently the CCA wouldn't let them for that reason. Not that I minded because it was a poor game anyway and their adaptations were usually the worst stories. ) The ESRB doesn't actually do that. They're more like the Motion Picture Association of America, which stopped flat-out banning content back in the 1960s. But like how parents still pay attention to movie ratings, they still pay attention to game ratings as well. But as far as attempts to formally censor games (and there has been no shortage), those pretty well ended with a Supreme Court ruling in 2010 that defined video games as a constitutionally-protected artistic medium.
    I wouldn't say that the ESRB is quite comparable to the CCA. The CCA was far more limiting. There was an example of a fight over an author's name (Marv Wolfman) almost being a cause of a comic losing the CA seal. I was not aware of the specific example you cite, but can understand it, due to the strictness of the CCA. They have absolutely no authority any longer, though.

But yeah, it's possible that there was some influence from the world of comics, though I'm not sure how direct it was. I wouldn't characterize the comic-inspired games around back in the '90s as boundary-pushing. The ones that prompted the Senate investigation that led to the creation of the ESRB were like the original Mortal Kombat and Doom and Night Trap: material that, nearest I can tell, was not related to the comic books universe. In the 2000s, boundary-pushing indeed became sort of the rule in gaming in a way sounds similar to what you describe happening in comics in the '90s, with Grand Theft Auto III, GTA IV, and God of War emerging as the top sellers. In the current decade, that seems to have tapered off a bit, though the target market itself hasn't changed. I wouldn't characterize any of the games I've just listed as, you know, socially positive or anything. They pushed boundaries just for the sake of doing so. But games needed to establish the right to have mature content because there actually are a lot of socially positive games that take on serious topics.
    As for the directness of the influence, while comic book related games weren't a major director, there was a correlation between the followers of each. As such, I feel there was a correlation between the running of each. Gaming companies saw the effects of comic shops, and the game stores were born. Comics started the trend of darker stories and games adapted to that. Games such as Mortal Kombat were released, and comics adapted to that. While it may not always be direct, I think the industries affect each other.

I enjoy Bob's Burgers and am LOVING the new season of Samurai Jack! I wish there were more action cartoons for adults like Samurai Jack in particular because it gets old all of them being comedies. We seem to have this cultural bias against action cartoons for adults that I hope this new Samurai Jack season chips away at a bit. (I'm also a big fan of Attack on Titan, though it's worth adding that, believe it or not, in its native Japan that's not actually per se considered an adult show.)
    I haven't seen the new season of Samurai Jack, however, I fully support more diversification in adult oriented cartoons.
    Last edited by Hal Jordan; 05-15-2017 at 12:28 AM.
    "For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'." John Greenleaf Whittier

"Our minds control our bodies. Our bodies control our enemies. Our enemies control jack shit by the time we're done with them." Stick

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal Jordan For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (05-16-2017)

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 853
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Coming out Wednesday...the trade paperback of John (American Crime, 'Those Who Walk in Darkness', etc., etc.) Ridley's highly original series, 'The American Way'. Ridley deals with superheroes, the 1950s, race, government conspiracies, and pretty much everything else in this unforgettable story. Read this.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

decedent (06-06-2017),IMPress Polly (06-06-2017)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,122x in 7,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    They don't have to be, especially not mature themed comics
    That sounds kinda hot!
    There is no God but Resister and Refugee is his messenger’.

Book of Democrat Things, Chapter 1:1

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged