corrocamino's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 89x in 72 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard it said that the sun never set on the British Empire because God didn't trust the British in the dark. The book "Queen Victoria's Little Wars", by Byron Farwell, makes very interesting reading. And the movie "Mr. Johnson", despite its unassuming title, is a great piece of work (set in British colonial West Africa).

I myself thoroughly despise what's been called "Cocacolonialism" (i.e., "globalization"). My lifetime has spanned an era when "Darkest Africa" still possessed romantic allure down to these times, when the artist's pallette of once-lovely colors has been smeared to an ugly mud. Just the other day, I watched a documentary about a half-Tlingit gentleman in Alaska who splits time fishing and smoking salmon, a la his indigenous ancesters, with flogging pseudo-native craft items manufactured for him in Indonesia. (I've lived too long.)
    "There is no such thing as knowledge, just belief."

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,406x in 36,393 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Slightly off topic but this history of post-colonial Africa was great albeit somewhat depressing. Meredith pulls no punches.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Fate-Afric.../dp/1610390717
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Carygrant's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 282x in 246 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I don't expect you make a substantial reply. We all know that's not your thing.

Wasting your time with another silly post

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corrocamino View Post
    I've heard it said that the sun never set on the British Empire because God didn't trust the British in the dark. The book "Queen Victoria's Little Wars", by Byron Farwell, makes very interesting reading. And the movie "Mr. Johnson", despite its unassuming title, is a great piece of work (set in British colonial West Africa).

I myself thoroughly despise what's been called "Cocacolonialism" (i.e., "globalization"). My lifetime has spanned an era when "Darkest Africa" still possessed romantic allure down to these times, when the artist's pallette of once-lovely colors has been smeared to an ugly mud. Just the other day, I watched a documentary about a half-Tlingit gentleman in Alaska who splits time fishing and smoking salmon, a la his indigenous ancesters, with flogging pseudo-native craft items manufactured for him in Indonesia. (I've lived too long.)
    Nice post Corro . Good to see somebody who can write more than three sentences and knit them into something interesting .

The British Empire was fortunate and inevitable .
    We ruled the waters completely and the Industrial Revolution was apparently bequeathed to us by Archangel Gabriel . We made the most of what fell into our laps .
    Our conduct was good compared to people like the Spanish , french and Belgians .
    It needs to be judged by the standards that passed for OK in those times .
    Our Missionaries and then a breed of amazing explorers ensured we gave much more than pillage and rape . We educated and built , and not just for ourselves
    We retain over 50 countries within the Commonwealth . And as a result a country that would otherwise be outside the top 50 in today's Power Directory lies 6th/7th in economic terms and still pre-eminent in many other areas .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Carygrant For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (12-03-2012)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carygrant View Post
    Wasting your time with another silly post
    I suppose I was. Why state the obvious?
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    GrumpyDog's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 210x in 170 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9...uxembourg.html

I guess the good Ol' US of A has some work to do to catch up

We will be invading the Galapagos Islands, next, so warning for all unidentified yawning creatures: HIDE!.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 754
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran5000 Experience Points
    RightWingHomosexual's Avatar Junior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43x in 27 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nice thing to remember is that we retain so many of these Johnny Foreigners as friends . Quite unlike the American attempt to manipulate the rest of the world to its greed . They have only made enemies and can count nobody as friends . The British used their Religion for decency and education . The Americans simply use it as a Hate fuel .Both of each other and all outsiders .
    What bullsh*t.

I've read your posts before and you do nothing but post hateful crap about our country. "Ole boy" we've pulled your nation's rear-end out of the fire. Twice. In two wars. And lately, it seems that your type of thinking (neo-Marxist, utopian liberalism) has infected the British body politic, which has led to an invasion of violent Islamofascsists, rooftops full of mosques and a sissified nation of wankers, too timid and too weak to even stand up to the Iranians when they took your ship two years ago.

You sit back and post, hit 'send' in the comfort and privacy of your own home and know NOTHING about our nation or our sacrifice.

I would urge you to take a trip across the channel and step foot into the first cemetary in Normandy and gaze up on the white crosses that dot the landscape. Americans. Young men who had never stepped foot outside their own town, who died (many violently) within hours of landing in Normandy. And in my opinion, died because the British were too damned weak to stop Hitler when they should have (during the Phoney War).

Rag all you want about our nation, ole bean. In the future, at some appointed place and time, "the racist Americans" will have to pull your rear ends out of yet another British disaster, somewhere in the world.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RightWingHomosexual For This Useful Post:

Mister D (12-20-2012)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 217
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Ivan88's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 348x in 306 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who was the first country to use poison gas in Middle East?

Britain.
    Good ole General Allenby used poison gas on the Ottoman troops defending Gaza & Jerusalem among other sites.
    In the 1920's
    Churchill "I do not understand this sqeamishness about the use of gas. I am strongly in favour of using poison gas against uncivilised tribes.* Henry Wilson shared Churchills enthusiasm for gas as an instrument of colonial control but the British cabinet was reluctant to sanction the use of a weapon that had caused such misery and revulsion in the First World War. Churchill himself was keen to argue that gas, fired from ground-based guns or dropped from aircraft, would cause *only discomfort or illness, but not death* to dissident tribespeople; but his optimistic view of the effects of gas were mistaken. It was likely that the suggested gas would permanently damage eyesight and *kill children and sickly persons, more especially as the people against whom we intend to use it have no medical knowledge with which to supply antidotes.* Churchill remained unimpressed by such considerations, arguing that the use of gas, a *scientific expedient,* should not be prevented *by the prejudices of those who do not think clearly*. In the event, gas was used against the Iraqi rebels with excellent moral effect* though gas shells were not dropped from aircraft because of practical difficulties [.....]
    Today in 1993 there are still Iraqis and Kurds who remember being bombed and machine-gunned by the RAF in the 1920s. A Kurd from the Korak mountains commented, seventy years after the event: *They were bombing here in the Kaniya Khoran...Sometimes they raided three times a day.* Wing Commander Lewis, then of 30 Squadron (RAF), Iraq, recalls how quite often *one would get a signal that a certain Kurdish village would have to be bombed...*, the RAF pilots being ordered to bomb any Kurd who looked hostile. In the same vein, Squadron-Leader Kendal of 30 Squadron recalls that if the tribespeople were doing something they ought not be doing then you shot them.*
    Similarly, Wing-Commander Gale, also of 30 Squadron: *If the Kurds hadn't learned by our example to behave themselves in a civilised way then we had to spank their bottoms. This was done by bombs and guns.

Wing-Commander Sir Arthur Harris (later Bomber Harris, head of wartime Bomber Command) was happy to emphasise that *The Arab and Kurd now know what real bombing means in casualties and damage. Within forty-five minutes a full-size village can be practically wiped out and a third of its inhabitants killed or injured.* It was an easy matter to bomb and machine-gun the tribespeople, because they had no means of defence or retalitation. Iraq and Kurdistan were also useful laboratories for new weapons; devices specifically developed by the Air Ministry for use against tribal villages. The ministry drew up a list of possible weapons, some of them the forerunners of napalm and air-to-ground missiles:
    Phosphorus bombs, war rockets, metal crowsfeet [to maim livestock] man-killing shrapnel, liquid fire, delay-action bombs. Many of these weapons were first used in Kurdistan.
    http://www.againstbombing.org/chemical.htm
    ll quotes in the excerpt are properly footnoted in the original book, with full references to British archives and papers. Excerpt from pages 179-181 of Simons, Geoff. *IRAQ: FROM SUMER TO SUDAN*. London: St. Martins Press, 1994

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RightWingHomosexual View Post
    What bullsh*t.

I've read your posts before and you do nothing but post hateful crap about our country. "Ole boy" we've pulled your nation's rear-end out of the fire. Twice. In two wars. And lately, it seems that your type of thinking (neo-Marxist, utopian liberalism) has infected the British body politic, which has led to an invasion of violent Islamofascsists, rooftops full of mosques and a sissified nation of wankers, too timid and too weak to even stand up to the Iranians when they took your ship two years ago.

You sit back and post, hit 'send' in the comfort and privacy of your own home and know NOTHING about our nation or our sacrifice.

I would urge you to take a trip across the channel and step foot into the first cemetary in Normandy and gaze up on the white crosses that dot the landscape. Americans. Young men who had never stepped foot outside their own town, who died (many violently) within hours of landing in Normandy. And in my opinion, died because the British were too damned weak to stop Hitler when they should have (during the Phoney War).

Rag all you want about our nation, ole bean. In the future, at some appointed place and time, "the racist Americans" will have to pull your rear ends out of yet another British disaster, somewhere in the world.

We don't really count Texas as part of the " our country" notion .
    Texans are viewed as comical and extremely simple and we are looking forward to full colonisation by the Latinos when we shall be delighted to recognise its independence .

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We don't really count Texas as part of the " our country" notion .
    Texans are viewed as comical and extremely simple and we are looking forward to full colonisation by the Latinos when we shall be delighted to recognise its independence .
    Will that be before or after London is conquered by migrants?

~Alain de Benoist

+ Reply to Thread