User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why Brain Scientists Are Still Obsessed With The Curious Case Of Phineas Gage

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why Brain Scientists Are Still Obsessed With The Curious Case Of Phineas Gage

I remember reading about this guy's story some time back, it's kind of... fascinating.

Like during the accident he was picking up pieces of his brains.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-s...f-phineas-gage

It took an explosion and 13 pounds of iron to usher in the modern era of neuroscience.
    In 1848, a 25-year-old railroad worker named Phineas Gage was blowing up rocks to clear the way for a new rail line in Cavendish, Vt. He would drill a hole, place an explosive charge, then pack in sand using a 13-pound metal bar known as a tamping iron.
    But in this instance, the metal bar created a spark that touched off the charge. That, in turn, "drove this tamping iron up and out of the hole, through his left cheek, behind his eye socket, and out of the top of his head," says Jack Van Horn, an associate professor of neurology at the Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California.
    Gage didn't die. But the tamping iron destroyed much of his brain's left frontal lobe, and Gage's once even-tempered personality changed dramatically.
    "He is fitful, irreverent, indulging at times in the grossest profanity, which was not previously his custom," wrote John Martyn Harlow, the physician who treated Gage after the accident.
    my junk is ugly

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,301
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,046x in 8,894 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure why this is still a scientific oddity. People with frontal lobe injuries suffer from judgmental and emotional issues in my experience. The frontal lobes control both emotion and judgment. Anger issues and inability to control finances are common in people with frontal lobe injuries. They often need financial guardians and supervision.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,626x in 14,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I'm not sure why this is still a scientific oddity. People with frontal lobe injuries suffer from judgmental and emotional issues in my experience. The frontal lobes control both emotion and judgment. Anger issues and inability to control finances are common in people with frontal lobe injuries. They often need financial guardians and supervision.

Some stroke victims can lose memories so specific as the names of vegitables and appear otherwise fine .Some TBI's can carry on a conversation with you at the corner store then get lost walking the block home.
    The brain is a fascinating place but a place that may dictate our behaviors far more than "free will".

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,363x in 27,934 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a version of Alzheimer's that destroys the neurons in the frontal lobe. It kills the person in less than ten years. The "symptoms" are similar.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

+ Reply to Thread