User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: How Long Before The "Union" Descends Into Violence?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,578x in 26,040 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Long Before The "Union" Descends Into Violence?

It seems clear to me that the "union" is, once again, coming apart at the seams.

You have a variety of competing factions, increasingly hateful and disdainful of one another, vying for control of a political system that largely determines the distribution of power and wealth in American society. If history is any indication, this presages violent conflict.

And in the interim, we will see endless bickering, fighting, intrigue, corruption, obstructionism, and bastardized compromises that leave one or all sides feeling resentful and cheated.

Clearly, this is not sustainable as long as people refuse to be dominated by their rivals and enemies. Eventually, something has to give.

My question is: How long do you think it will be before the various political factions in America dispense with all the pretenses and resort to violence as a means of resolving their conflicts? Are we already in the nascent stages of such a conflict? I mean, look at the quality of discourse on this political forum. People just keep talking past each other and lobbing insults at one another while becoming increasingly insular and cliquish. And it's not like this is unique to our little corner of the internet. US politics at large is a complete madhouse. There have even been violent clashes between opposing political mobs in the streets. That's usually how it begins.

All the rhetorical fluff about "coming together" and "we have more similarities than differences" is largely a Utopian pipe-dream that ignores the gritty realities of culture and ideology. Unity purely for its own sake is a dangerous fantasy that has never worked in any practical sense of the word. Those pushing it are, whether they realize it or not, pushing people towards conflict, despite having the best of intentions.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said in a recent thread that I never believed the divide in the country would be permanent, now I do. I dont think anything or anyone can repair this.

Will there be retaliatory violence ? I hope not, but if the left escalates the violence and their violent rhetoric much higher, there very well could be.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,430x in 94,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many people pay enough attention?
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Ravens Fan (05-25-2017)

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 2,545
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Bethere's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,107x in 4,132 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    It seems clear to me that the "union" is, once again, coming apart at the seams.

You have a variety of competing factions, increasingly hateful and disdainful of one another, vying for control of a political system that largely determines the distribution of power and wealth in American society. If history is any indication, this presages violent conflict.

And in the interim, we will see endless bickering, fighting, intrigue, corruption, obstructionism, and bastardized compromises that leave one or all sides feeling resentful and cheated.

Clearly, this is not sustainable as long as people refuse to be dominated by their rivals and enemies. Eventually, something has to give.

My question is: How long do you think it will be before the various political factions in America dispense with all the pretenses and resort to violence as a means of resolving their conflicts? Are we already in the nascent stages of such a conflict? I mean, look at the quality of discourse on this political forum. People just keep talking past each other and lobbing insults at one another while becoming increasingly insular and cliquish. And it's not like this is unique to our little corner of the internet. US politics at large is a complete madhouse. There have even been violent clashes between opposing political mobs in the streets. That's usually how it begins.

All the rhetorical fluff about "coming together" and "we have more similarities than differences" is largely a Utopian pipe-dream that ignores the gritty realities of culture and ideology. Unity purely for its own sake is a dangerous fantasy that has never worked in any practical sense of the word. Those pushing it are, whether they realize it or not, pushing people towards conflict, despite having the best of intentions.
    Look at how many points you have!

You've eliminated your competition and now you are officially this forum's most popular poster--check your awards.
    Congratulations.

To address your op? Our union is strong. United we stand. Divided we fall. If it comes to violence you will lose, and 100 years later we will tear down any pathetic monuments you might dedicate to revisionist history.
    Last edited by Bethere; 05-25-2017 at 04:27 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bethere For This Useful Post:

Bo-4 (05-25-2017)

Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,368x in 27,939 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethere View Post
    Why did you game the system?You've eliminated your competition and now you are officially this forum's most popular poster--check your awards.
    Congratulations.
    Bo is the spokeshole for the Buffoonkins. Have you run this nonsense by him?
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why did you game the system?

You've eliminated your competition and now you are officially this forum's most popular poster--check your awards.

Congratulations.
    Points are earned by participating on the forum.

Karma can be inflated if you get two or three other members to rep the $#@! out of you so you can fake popularity because you are shallow and have a fragile ego.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post

I am inclined to believe it takes between 30 and 40 years. We are already beyond the "norm". I don't think we have quite made it. but that will remain unclear until the event that creates the spark. After that plan on a decade of killing.
    Last edited by MisterVeritis; 05-25-2017 at 05:53 PM.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Achievements:
    Bethere's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    I am inclined to believe it takes between 30 and 40 years. We are already beyond the 'norm". I don't think we have quite made it. but that will remain unclear until the event that creates the spark. After that plan on a decade of killing.
    Good luck.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am inclined to believe it takes between 30 and 40 years. We are already beyond the "norm". I don't think we have quite made it. but that will remain unclear until the event that creates the spark. After that plan on a decade of killing.
    Good luck.
    You damned fool. This is a disaster.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (05-25-2017)

Achievements:
    Bethere's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)