User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Now here's the good news

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,627
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    KC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,042x in 2,810 Posts
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Sure it is. The idea that "children" (what does that mean? under 18?) cannot consent is not a biological law but a legal custom. It can change. A gay marriage, for example, would have been a bizarre idea to an early 20th century American. They drew the line at same sex marriage (assuming such a thing would even have crossed their minds) but that changed...abruptly.
    Right. I'm not suggesting it is a biological law. The legal custom though is unlikely to change. To assume that just because society becomes more permissive in some of it's sex laws will inevitably lead to changing all of our legal framework about sex laws is the slippery slope fallacy. This isn't Ancient Greece, and I don't think it will be either in a hurry.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,469x in 36,444 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathaariancode View Post
    Right. I'm not suggesting it is a biological law. The legal custom though is unlikely to change. To assume that just because society becomes more permissive in some of it's sex laws will inevitably lead to changing all of our legal framework about sex laws is the slippery slope fallacy. This isn't Ancient Greece, and I don't think it will be either in a hurry.
    Only 60 years ago a man from WI would likely have said something similar about two gays marrying.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Kabuki Joe (11-07-2012)

Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only 60 years ago a man from WI would likely have said something similar about two gays marrying.
    Sure. There are plenty who still think so. Obviously there have been some changes in people's attitudes. So, just because people's attitudes changed about homosexuality, they will eventually also change about pedophilia? There's no reason to think so.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,469x in 36,444 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sure. There are plenty who still think so. Obviously there have been some changes in people's attitudes. So, just because people's attitudes changed about homosexuality, they will eventually also change about pedophilia? There's no reason to think so.
    Likewise, few would have thought in 1950 that an inanity like gay marriage would become a veritable civil rights crusade but it did. Secondly, I'm not saying it's inevitable. I'm saying that it's not far fetched.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

KC (11-07-2012)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Add rape to that suggestion also, but either way I would disagree.

Consensual sex between two consenting adults isn't illegal in the sense that they're adults and consenting.

You cannot make the same argument with pedophilia or rape for that matter.
    my junk is ugly

Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,896x in 54,714 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think natural law theory is strengthened when it is combined with faith. After all, if he exists, would God want a bunch of Chatty Cathy dolls, who's strings he could pull at any time and hear "I love you"? No, God would have given us free will, so that we choose to make the right moral choices, choose to love and treat one another with respect, and ultimately choose to love Him. Why would he want man to take away what He has given?
    Right, no problem with believing that, just there's no way of knowing that. Aquinas said something like natural is that much of divine law man can discover by right reason.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likewise, few would have thought in 1950 that an inanity like gay marriage would become a veritable civil rights crusade but it did. Secondly, I'm not saying it's inevitable. I'm saying that it's not far fetched.
    I'm used to this position being used by the types of people who argue its inevitability. Often they're the same people who argue that same sex marriage will lead to polygamy, but there is no correlation between those two. But you're more reasonable than that type.

I do think it's far fetched. To me it's clear that allowing adults to make these choices is a far cry from allowing adults to make these choices about children and vice versa, but based on your argument that is because I am a product of my time. Other than Ancient Greece, is there any civilized society that we know did not frown upon pedophilia?
    Last edited by KC; 11-07-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,896x in 54,714 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think according to psychologists it's fairly well agree we are not fully developed biologically to make moral choices till we're around a bell curve average of 25.

Liberals take considerably longer. :-P

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 978
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Kabuki Joe's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 758x in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Being moral means choosing good or evil in your actions towards others. That's possible only if you're free to choose. Coerced action is amoral action where the question becomes are the commanders, the elite moral?

...BS...there are very few people that have the resolve to make the right choice every time...very few...and then we need to argue "what is the right choice?"...you need someone standing behind people, sometimes close, sometimes far, to keep them honest when they need it...

Kabuki Joe

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabuki Joe View Post
    ...BS...there are very few people that have the resolve to make the right choice every time...very few...and then we need to argue "what is the right choice?"...you need someone standing behind people, sometimes close, sometimes far, to keep them honest when they need it...

Kabuki Joe
    Check and balance measures against unethical activity, it does not prohibit or otherwise eliminate it.
    my junk is ugly

+ Reply to Thread