Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,818x in 1,689 Posts
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Did you ever ask yourself how and why you were chosen to be a "VIP"? Have you ever looked at the posting history of any of the other VIPs and asked yourself what sets them apart and makes them "special"?

Maybe you should.
    Good question, and I did ask that, cos I was 14 when they invited me to be a VIP. I also said that I didn't know much, and asked them if they were sure if they wanted me.

But you and I have a different view of what it is to be a VIP. You think it is something which sets you apart and makes you 'special' - where I think it is just a job (a bit like a prefect at my school - but with less authority) which needs to be done. I was flattered that they thought I was good enough to be given that job, but I certainly never thought it made me 'special' in any way. It's not a class distinction, and VIPs don't get secret afternoon tea with cream buns and scones with clotted cream - it's just something the people who own and run this forum think is useful.

I don't understand why some people here are getting out of their trees over it.
    Oh, I wish I were a glow worm,
    for a glow worm's never glum,
    'cause how can you be grumpy
    when the sun shines out your bum!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to William For This Useful Post:

Agent Zero (08-21-2017)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 820
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,474x in 15,895 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Green Arrow made it an issue. It is obvious he does think it makes him "special" and part of some forum elite.

Most people don't care a rat's ass one way or the other. The one question I would ask is why not include ALL the members in the decision making process if you are going to claim it is a "member run" board? You could have a subforum for policy recommendations and if one shows enough interest, put it up for a vote.

Again, I really don't care all that much about how policies are made, but there is way too much "behind closed doors" stuff that happens here.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,793x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    Being a VIP has to be burdensome to some degree. You have to behave 24/7 disallowing jerk posting and heavy snark.
    It can be very difficult, especially recently.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,041
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    William's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,818x in 1,689 Posts
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Green Arrow made it an issue. It is obvious he does think it makes him "special" and part of some forum elite.

Most people don't care a rat's ass one way or the other. The one question I would ask is why not include ALL the members in the decision making process if you are going to claim it is a "member run" board? You could have a subforum for policy recommendations and if one shows enough interest, put it up for a vote.

Again, I really don't care all that much about how policies are made, but there is way too much "behind closed doors" stuff that happens here.

Well, all I can say is that is the way the owners want the place to run, and as I said to a mod recently - I am probably the least important member here, so my opinion is not going to change that. But I have been a member of a another board before I came here (it was a games board but pretty strictly run) and this place is much more open and easy going. Most other boards are run by the Admin and the mods - there are no intermediate steps like the VIPs here, where at least the membership gets a bit of a say. It's their way or the highway - so there's really less 'behind closed doors' here than on most other boards. That's the impression I get, and I lurked on several boards for like a year before I decided which one to join.

Anyway, I'm sorry you feel that way - you have been here a long time, and have contributed a lot to this forum.
    Oh, I wish I were a glow worm,
    for a glow worm's never glum,
    'cause how can you be grumpy
    when the sun shines out your bum!

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,793x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
    Many of us are active posters. I can guarantee you I've done more to drive this forum than you have.
    Active posters can be both regular members and VIPs. I'm not trying to be confrontational, and I like you, so don't take this personally, but taking a personal dig at Cletus was unwarranted and not very VIP like.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

Bethere (06-07-2017)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    Active posters can be both regular members and VIPs. I'm not trying to be confrontational, and I like you, so don't take this personally, but taking a personal dig at Cletus was unwarranted and not very VIP like.
    I disagree. @Green Arrow has done more with his time here to try and make this place a better environment for all. He constantly goes above and beyond what others do, to either post announcements, set up polls to vote on issues, solicit ideas about how to better the forum, etc., etc, he is constantly trying to find ways to improve this place. Nobody is paid to be here (that I know of), and it is a free establishment at the benevolence of admin, so to equate what he does with members who do nothing but complain about how "crappy" or "meaningless" the way this forum is, is an egregious error.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Safety For This Useful Post:

AZ Jim (06-07-2017),Crepitus (06-07-2017),Green Arrow (06-07-2017)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,612x in 25,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's somewhat of a burden to be a VIP; much like I believe it's somewhat of a burden to be an attorney. I believe that both are (and should be) held to a higher standard. If you embrace that, it is somewhat of a burden. I personally think that a VIP (like a lawyer) should not engage in certain conduct on this forum, that such's behavior should be an example rather than something to shy away from. Yes, we have many great non-VIP members that engage in exemplary behavior and we are fortunate in that respect. I'm just sharing what I personally think is expected of a VIP behavior-wise. I am disappointed when I see an attorney step outside of appropriate behavior. I am likewise with those that I expect to lead by example here. Just my personal opinion.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Bethere (06-07-2017),Chris (06-07-2017),Docthehun (06-07-2017),Green Arrow (06-07-2017),Ravens Fan (06-07-2017),William (06-07-2017)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    notice

Notice

Thread closed. Future suggestions for nominations should be PM'd to a VIP.

If you have questions or concerns about this moderation action, please use the Report button to let us know.

Closed Thread