Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cletus wrote: It's the costume.
    I'm sure that's part of the appeal for many men.

Captain Obvious wrote:
    I just don't find repetetive mass produced story lines entertaining. Some demographic segments do I suppose.
    Traditionally, I'd have pretty well agreed with this summation of the genre, but between this film and Logan, I've got to say that the genre's storytelling quality does appear to be improving this year (at least outside of projects controlled by Marvel Studios anyway). I have spoken to what I feel I can without spoiling some of the best narrative surprises in the Wonder Woman movie (some things you really should just see for yourself), but to comment briefly on what made Logan stand out for me, while we have seen many stories about how normal (male) human beings become superheroes with special powers and whatnot, Logan in contrast does something that felt new to me in telling the story of how a superhero becomes a normal human, with the theme of it being better to be a normal person than this exciting fantasy. These two films give me some hope for the future of the genre, personally, beyond just its money-making prospects.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,135
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,379x in 15,848 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    I'm sure that's part of the appeal for many men.
    Not just with men.

Do you really think the movie would be as big as it is if Wonder Woman looked like Roseanne Barr or Whoopi Goldberg? People wouldn't go see it... men or women.

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was reading an article yesterday about the fact that Marvel really messed up when they didn't follow up Scarlet Johansson's appearance in Iron Man 2, or at some other point, with a solo movie focusing on her background. I agree, that had - still has, really - the potential to be huge.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (07-12-2017)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cletus wrote:
    Not just with men.

Do you really think the movie would be as big as it is if Wonder Woman looked like Roseanne Barr or Whoopi Goldberg? People wouldn't go see it... men or women.
    It depends on what kind of movie you're making. There's a market for women of all body types just as there are women of all body types. Melissa McCarthy (whom you might recall from, among other films, last year's Ghostbusters remake), for example, may not be a blockbuster actress, but she does have an audience. She legitimizes comedy roles for women and helps many overweight women feel more normal.

But you're right, I suspect that most female fans of the particularity that is the superhero genre would prefer to see an idealized representation of womanhood on the screen so that they can fantasize about being her for two hours.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 07-12-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Superheroes are generally expected to look the part, be it male or female.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

WORST...SUPERHERO...EVER
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,581
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    kilgram's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,500x in 1,224 Posts
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I enjoyed a lot the film.

PS: Your OP I think that has too much spoilers and a spoilers alert would have been appreciated :-D
    WORK AND FIGHT FOR THE REVOLUTION AND AGAINST THE INJUSTICE.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kilgram For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (07-13-2017)

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CreepyOldDude's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 760x in 514 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    To her eternal credit, Halle Berry actually showed up to accept her (well deserved) Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Performance By An Actress for Catwoman.

I vaguely recall trying to stay awake through that one in the theatre. Helen Slater was Supergirl. She was much better as Judge Reinhold's wife/accomplice in the classic Ruthless People. She now plays Supergirl's adoptive mother in the WB Supergirl series.
    I loved Catwoman. I've never understood why everyone is so down on it.
    Getting upset about someone else's marriage because of your religion, is like getting upset about someone else eating a doughnut because you're on a diet. - Unknown

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Was sorting through a stack of older magazines yesterday, and I came across a copy of one called - and I'm going to self-censor this, because I don't know whether the program will do it if I don't - 'B*TCH'..."a thoughtful, feminist response to media and popular culture". I remembered buying it, but couldn't immediately remember why.

There used to be this great magazine and second-hand bookstore in town that stocked hundreds of different periodicals, famous and obscure, and kept not only the current issue but the previous four or five, and that's where I'd purchased it. Most stores destroy magazines after a very short time in order to get credit back from the publisher. I was trying to find an issue of 'Entertainment Weekly' at a Barnes & Noble a while back, and when I didn't see it on the shelves, I asked a clerk, who looked in the computer and said, "Yes, we got 17 copies of that issue in and sold one". I said, "Great, do you have them in the back?" and she said, "No, they've been destroyed". I ended up having to buy the thing on eBay.

Anyway, I quickly ascertained why I had bought this particular issue of 'B*TCH' - there was an extensive article in it about the origins and early publishing history of Wonder Woman, as well as a lot about her creator, William Moulton Marsten. Interesting guy - believed that women were far better suited than men to run the world, and that they eventually, inevitably would. Married, if not legally, to two women, who remained together after Marsten's death.

Polly, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that, as into both feminism and popular culture as you are, that this particular magazine is not unknown to you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (09-16-2017)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Standing Wolf wrote:
    Anyway, I quickly ascertained why I had bought this particular issue of 'B*TCH' - there was an extensive article in it about the origins and early publishing history of Wonder Woman, as well as a lot about her creator, William Moulton Marsten. Interesting guy - believed that women were far better suited than men to run the world, and that they eventually, inevitably would. Married, if not legally, to two women, who remained together after Marsten's death.

Polly, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that, as into both feminism and popular culture as you are, that this particular magazine is not unknown to you.
    I'm familiar with B*tch magazine for sure. Not with the particular issue you mention though. However, I understand that there is a movie coming out later this year about the life of William Marsten and I am definitely interested in seeing that!

In the meanwhile, just thought I'd remind you and everyone that the Wonder Woman movie comes out on video on Tuesday. Just thought I'd shamelessly hawk the film one last time (before my year-end list of best 2017 stuff, that is).
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 09-16-2017 at 10:14 AM.

+ Reply to Thread