Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Standing Wolf wrote:
    There have been several different "looks" for Captain Marvel over the years and - I'm not totally sure, but I think - more than one female character has used the name. Hoping they use this one.
    Green Arrow wrote:
    I love Carol Danvers, but I want them to use Kamala Khan.
    Looking this up on Wikipedia, it appears that there is a difference between the "Captain" Marvel character and a "Ms." Marvel character in that the original Captain Marvel was male, with the "Ms." character being created during like the 1970s feminist wave as a counterweight to that or something. A previous Ms. Marvel in Carol Danvers has, Wikipedia tells me, graduated to Captain Marvel status in recent years in the comic books, leaving the one named Kamala Khan as the new Ms. Marvel. Apparently Khan is a Muslim superhero character and a little too young for the Captain title.

In the view of this, I see what you're saying, Green Arrow. To make a Ms. Marvel movie would definitely be a bolder statement in today's political climate. Unfortunately though, for as boundary-pushing as Disney has been on inclusiveness lately, I suspect that there is a degree of poll-testing they do that they aren't willing to defy too much. They weathered some minor controversy surrounding the inclusion of a gay character in the live-action Beauty and the Beast remake just fine earlier this year (it's amazing what we choose to find controversial about films like that, considering that you'd think the more obvious issue would be its romantization of Stockholm Syndrome), but Islam seems to be much more controversial than homosexuality is in the Western world these days. That's precisely what could make a Ms. Marvel movie especially potent at this particular sort of moment in our history and worth seeing, but, y'know, Disney has a large, predominantly Christian audience to worry about maintaining the loyalty of and that might be "going too far" for them right now.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 06-18-2017 at 01:30 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (06-18-2017)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes sense commercially. Women are half the population, so it was inevitable that the already lucrative superhero genre would start marketing to them more aggressively.

I must say, though, that the superhero genre is, in my opinion, wildly over-saturated. I'm not objecting to the women getting in on the action, but the general trend to put out superhero movie after superhero movie. I would like to see more money and time being invested in "artsy" films like Mud, for example.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 842
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    They weathered some minor controversy surrounding the inclusion of a gay character in the live-action Beauty and the Beast remake just fine earlier this year (it's amazing what we choose to find controversial about films like that, considering that you'd think the more obvious issue would be its romantization of Stockholm Syndrome), but Islam seems to be much more controversial than homosexuality is in the Western world these days.
    It's not an original observation, of course, but - with the exception of the really spun-out religious fundamentalist-types - audiences do tend to be more accepting of lesbian characters than of their male counterparts. Carol Danvers/Supergirl's adoptive sister on the WB show came out last season. And while it isn't a superhero show, one of the main female characters on NCIS: New Orleans is out this season, as well. I'm sure it drives some folks crazy that popular entertainment is actually reflecting the real world for a change.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (06-19-2017)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 842
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Speaking of NCIS: New Orleans and female action heroes, I was watching a recent episode tonight and the woman who plays Scott Bakula's character's current love interest on that show looked very familiar. I thought at first that it was just because her features are similar to Mariska Hargitay's, but it turns out that she's been appearing in t.v. episodes and movies for a lot of years and I have no doubt seen her many times on different shows. Thirty years ago, she was 'Teela' in the underappreciated live-action Masters of the Universe movie with Dolph Lundgren and John Cypher, with Frank Langella as Skeletor.

She and Bakula have been married since 2009 and have two kids together.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as they're entertaining, well written, and not too political, I think it's a good thing.

+ Reply to Thread