User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do We Even Need New Game Systems?

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublejack View Post
    I purposefully stay 2-5 years behind on gaming.
    Same $#@!, half the price.
    gog.com

Best place for games.
    my junk is ugly

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Doublejack (06-30-2017)

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Doublejack's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,273x in 864 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    gog.com

Best place for games.
    Nice! THat's what I'm talkin about.

I was buying games from steam but this looks even better.

I still havent played witcher 1 ... only 25 bucks for witcher 3

I'll play all 3 and still pay less than the first release ... i'm so cheap

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublejack View Post
    Nice! THat's what I'm talkin about.

I was buying games from steam but this looks even better.

I still havent played witcher 1 ... only 25 bucks for witcher 3

I'll play all 3 and still pay less than the first release ... i'm so cheap
    Yeah, I run Final Fantasy VII off of Steam, because it's the only spot I can get it. GOG lets you download the game and the goodies if you want them, they're yours. They do specials too, I get emails from them but I really don't buy a lot of stuff.

Play the cheap, wait for the specials and download the games.

Download their downloader gizmo too, it's easier.
    my junk is ugly

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Doublejack (06-30-2017)

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Doublejack's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,273x in 864 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I run Final Fantasy VII off of Steam, because it's the only spot I can get it. GOG lets you download the game and the goodies if you want them, they're yours. They do specials too, I get emails from them but I really don't buy a lot of stuff.

Nice !

My biggest issue is forgetting my steam account info. I think I have 3 different ones now.
    I forget my own email info too so the account restore doesn't apply to me. Just get a new email account.

I should probably start caring more .. but I just don't.

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a big fan of both Steam and GOG myself. Of course, I'm also primarily into independently-developed games like (to highlight some of my faves from this year to date) Night in the Woods, What Remains of Edith Finch, Little Nightmares, She Remembered Caterpillars, Cosmic Star Heroine, and the adorable Snake Pass. But at this point in the life of our 8th generation consoles, almost every indie game of note also comes out for either PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, so I mostly just use my console services now actually, as of this year. Even Undertale is getting a PS4 release now and The Flame in the Flood got one as well earlier this year, and Gone Home (my favorite game of all time) got a PS4 and Xbox One release last year. But I guess what I'm saying is that, you know, the smaller developers who make these types of sincere and really creative games don't have the budgets to maximize the performance potential available on machines like the PS4 or Xbox One or many home gaming computers available today, and yet I tend to like material like this better than the AAA market that does anyway. I will concede though that there are some exceptions from time to time. For instance, I really enjoyed NieR: Automata and Persona 5 earlier this year, as well as Tales of Berseria (though the latter didn't exactly maximize the PS4's technological potential, or even come close; still qualifies as a AAA game though at the end of the day) and am looking forward to a rare independently-developed AAA game called Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice that's due out in August.

Some of the material I'm most looking forward to over the next few months includes:

June 30th (yep, today!): Crash N. Sane Trilogy
    August 2nd: Tacoma
    August 8th: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
    August 15th: Sonic Mania
    August 31st: Life is Strange: Before the Storm (Episode 1)
    September 15th: Metroid: Samus Returns

With the exception of the Metroid game though, they'll all be available on computer through Steam. However, all of those save for Tacoma and Metroid: Samus Returns will also be available for PS4, while Tacoma will be available for Xbox One, and of course the Metroid game will be on 3DS, so I actually don't have to use my computer at all, which is nice.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 06-30-2017 at 05:59 AM.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 447
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Meh's Avatar Junior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20x in 17 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just wait for the wait for the steam summer sale. Skipped it this year because I don't have a whole lot of time to play.

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 768
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Brett Nortje's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 195x in 179 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    I've been thinking about this for some time, but the poor sales of the 8th generation gaming systems and the lackluster reaction that Microsoft's big reveal of their upcoming machine, the terribly-named Xbox One X (previously codenamed Project Scorpio), got at the recent Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3 for short) has really brought home to me the question of whether we even need new video game consoles anymore. Let me briefly make my case on that:
    If you think about it, there are two main reasons why people buy game systems: for 1) bigger games, and 2) better graphics. Let's face it, everything else -- motion controls, virtual reality, etc. -- is a gimmick. None of it ever winds up changing the way the average gamer plays or experiences video games. The two most substantive, permanent reasons why people buy new game systems are for bigger games and better graphics. But do we actually benefit from either of those things anymore? I don't think we do! Here's what I mean:
    1) BIGGER GAMES
    The interactive world of the average AAA adventure video game is already getting too large. So large, in fact, that it can't be navigated without the player being given some disingenuous form of detective vision (perhaps a special superpower or technological wonder device that lets you see arrows on the screen pointing you to your next destination) just to find your way around because you can no longer memorize the in-game landscape with enough traversals.
    Furthermore, the focus on increasing world size is starting to negatively impact the quality of storytelling. The ultimate example I would point to in this connection is the largest video game world that has ever been made: that of last year's No Man's Sky. How intimate an experience would say that was, traversing a universe with literally trillions of nearly identical planets just for the purpose of cataloguing more species? All emotional capacity and frankly diversity was lost to the game's sheer scale. When you make games that enormous, character development becomes impossible: the individual is inevitably swallowed up by the vastness of the universe they occupy. Do we really want all our major video games to become No Man's Sky?
    2) BETTER GRAPHICS
    For a staggering price tag of $500, the upcoming Xbox One X will offer players an improved visual experience...that you can't even see without a 4K television! The vast majority of gamers (myself included), however, are still using 1080p TVs. You see what I'm saying? When the average gamer has to buy a new TV ($500) just to see the graphical improvements that a new console (also $500) offers them, I think it's safe to say that such an upgrade is no longer worth the astronomical cost, even if state-of-the-art realism is a relatively big deal to you.
    What do you think? Are we actually, substantively benefiting from new gaming machines anymore?
    Have you ever tried "fuse?" this is an emulator for old "spectrum" games. these games were to first real console and computer games - it came as a keyboard you plug into the television and then used tapes to store information. it also came with the first console programming system, where you could edit or make your own games. these games were just the right mix of 'big' and 'visuals' at the time, of course.

Anyway, my daughter's game, which she is developing for the p.c. is a woman's game. you travel from scene to scene and then choose your actions, like adventure games of the type where you use the 'questions and answers' sessions where you gain new adventures, like is still done today. then, it is accompanied with a cut scene for the actions and then you go to the next scene, of course.

She is developing it on a computer system i devised last year, where we run two buses and two mother boards, one board for regular binary, and another for a 'analogue device' system, where we over clock the binary no end.

~ Think of the difference between a normal glass lens for a camera and a digital one - this is the analogue picture quality.
    !! Thug LIfe !!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Brett Nortje For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (07-09-2017)

+ Reply to Thread