User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: What breed of canine do you own or would suggest owning?

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 585
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HoneyBadger's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,001x in 574 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    Nah. Dog adoption and rescues are destroying 1,000's of years breeding and diluting one of man's greatest achievements. The domesticated k-nine. Every domestic dog breed has a purpose created by man. Cross breeding and continuing those lines by rescuing those cross breeds produces a confused dog. Dogs are happiest when they are doing what they are meant to do. What exactly is the purpose of a corgi mixed with a pit bull? There is none and the dog becomes conflicted mentally. All it has then is the drive to please it's master. Sounds more like a slave than a pet to me.
    For the vast majority of my life, I've had at least one (English) Bulldog along with a dog of a different breed. I love their personality, temperament and intelligence (yes, they are extremely intelligent dogs but they are hardheaded and won't mindlessly obey) but my last Bulldog was in fact, the last. The problem? Bulldogs have very little genetic diversity. They are the Frankenstein of the dog world. A healthy Bulldog doesn't exist. They ALL have problems. Breeders in search of the perfect breed standard have destroyed a wonderful dog and from a genetic standpoint, I don't think there's any coming back. So, no. I'm not interested in any more "purebred" dogs. In pursuit of a buck and an unrealistic physical standard, we've bred dogs for looks and specific behaviors instead of health. My two current dogs are mixed breeds that were strays destined for the shelter. We took them in because they were not what most people want. I don't regret it for a minute.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HoneyBadger For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Boris The Animal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,312x in 898 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, I love howlers 'n' hound dogs. A Beagle or Basset Hound. Although with the Basset, their long bodies and stubby legs make them more susceptible to back problems.
    IT'S JUST BORIS!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Boris The Animal For This Useful Post:

resister (07-06-2017)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,122x in 7,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris The Animal View Post
    For me, I love howlers 'n' hound dogs. A Beagle or Basset Hound. Although with the Basset, their long bodies and stubby legs make them more susceptible to back problems.
    Gotta love their bark....barrhh bahhraa
    There is no God but Resister and Refugee is his messenger’.

Book of Democrat Things, Chapter 1:1

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,113x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
    For the vast majority of my life, I've had at least one (English) Bulldog along with a dog of a different breed. I love their personality, temperament and intelligence (yes, they are extremely intelligent dogs but they are hardheaded and won't mindlessly obey) but my last Bulldog was in fact, the last. The problem? Bulldogs have very little genetic diversity. They are the Frankenstein of the dog world. A healthy Bulldog doesn't exist. They ALL have problems. Breeders in search of the perfect breed standard have destroyed a wonderful dog and from a genetic standpoint, I don't think there's any coming back. So, no. I'm not interested in any more "purebred" dogs. In pursuit of a buck and an unrealistic physical standard, we've bred dogs for looks and specific behaviors instead of health. My two current dogs are mixed breeds that were strays destined for the shelter. We took them in because they were not what most people want. I don't regret it for a minute.
    Good for you... I just think it's funny that people get strays or shelter dogs because it makes them feel good. It really has nothing to do with what's best for the dog. People tend to think "I'm saving a life". More often then not it isn't true and they are simply prolonging the animals suffering but as long as the person feels good amirite?

There are plenty of good breeders where health issues are mitigated. However; the bulldog lost its purpose a couple hundred years ago so they have been bred as pets. Not something I'm a fan of...
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,135
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,379x in 15,848 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    Good for you... I just think it's funny that people get strays or shelter dogs because it makes them feel good. It really has nothing to do with what's best for the dog. People tend to think "I'm saving a life". More often then not it isn't true and they are simply prolonging the animals suffering but as long as the person feels good amirite?

Not even close.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (09-06-2017)

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,522
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,997x in 18,679 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    Every dog I've owned has been a "rescue" animal.
    My favorite had to be a 15% wolf mix. She was very loving and immediately attached herself to me. She helped raise my wife's rotten-lab and the daughter's abandoned American pit. Having a wolf mix is not for everyone. I read so much and talked to so many that it was oozing from my ears. Never once in 15 years did she ever bite anyone. She did have a thing for cats, raccoons, and possum.
    She lived for four years in the country before she passed in my arms. Attachment 18482Attachment 18483
    She trained herself to take her snacks from my mouth............and she was the consummate thief
    I had a wolf hybrid, I'll never have another. He was a thief of grand proportions and, an escape artist, he wasn't mean, but, very intimidating. He was a challenge, that's for sure, but, we loved him!

He was euthanized at the age of 11, he had liver cancer.

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    pragmatic's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,754x in 1,199 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    I had a wolf hybrid, I'll never have another. He was a thief of grand proportions and, an escape artist, he wasn't mean, but, very intimidating. He was a challenge, that's for sure, but, we loved him!

He was euthanized at the age of 11, he had liver cancer.

Sounds like you gave him a good life. (and he to you.) Kudos for that.

Lucy the Wonder Dog is also a part time thief. But with her it is a rather endearing quality.

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,522
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,997x in 18,679 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Shepherd in my avatar, was euthanized 3 months ago, he was just 9, but, had 'degenerative Myelopathy', he was diagnosed with it in September, last year. It's a rotten disease, the mind stays perfectly fine, while the hind end/legs slowly deteriorate to the point, the dog can't walk . We didn't let him get to that point, just watched, until we noticed it was getting harder for him to navigate. We didn't want him to go completely down, that would have been cruel.

We'll be driving to Tucson, about a 5 hour drive from here, in a couple of weeks, to pick up the puppy I purchased in July, a purebred Shepherd, from a reputable breeder.

I have nothing against mixed breed dogs, but, my preference has always been, purebred, specifically, German Shepherds..... the new pup, will be our 5th.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Abby08 For This Useful Post:

pragmatic (09-06-2017)

+ Reply to Thread