Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,113x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waltky View Post
    Granny says, "Dat's right - is prob'ly from breathin' in all dem exhaust fumes...

Dementia rates 'higher near busy roads'
    Thu, 05 Jan 2017 - People who live near major roads have higher rates of dementia, research suggests.
    Solution? Stop driving cars and stop herding cattle.

Granny says, "Dats right! I'm a granny cause we have the highest life expectancy in history! So quit $#@!in about dying at 84! You are on borrowed time!"

*Banjo pickin plays out*
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Trumpster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 345x in 251 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Right. You need high quality Omega 3s to protect the CPU. You aren't getting that from non-meat sources.
    What makes meat a high quality source of Omega 3 but not plant sources? I've never heard of that before. Animals get their Omega 3s from eating plants or from eating other animals that have eaten plants.
    Therefore I'm skeptical of where the research comes from stating that the best place to get Omega 3s is from meat.

Good plant sources of Omega 3s:

Flax seeds
    Chia seeds
    Beans
    Winter squash
    Leafy greens
    Vegetables in the cabbage family
    Berries
    Wild rice
    Mangoes
    Honeydew Melon

In order to be healthy, it's very important for Omega 3s to get converted to DHA and EPA in the body. However, high levels of Omega 6 will inhibit the conversion process. And animal sources of Omega 3, more often than not, are much higher in Omega 6 than Omega 3.
    Last edited by Trumpster; 01-05-2017 at 05:27 PM.

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Treating tau bundles in Alzheimer's patients...

New Drug Takes on Alzheimer’s by Sweeping for Protein Clumps
    January 25, 2017 - Scientists have developed a drug they hope will benefit people with Alzheimer’s disease, which afflicts an estimated 44 million people around the world. The new compound sweeps away abnormal protein clumps in the brain which are a hallmark of the neurodegenerative disorder.
    In a study reported in the journal Science Translational Medicine, researchers describe how a synthetic drug, called antisense oligoneucleotide, reduced the production and in some cases cleared clumps of tau in the brain. Tau bundles are one of the hallmarks of the disease, along with beta amyloid deposits, another destructive protein. By stopping the formation of tau, researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, Missouri, found they could extend the lives of mice that were bred to have collections of human tau in their brains.

An image shows activity in a human brain. Scientists have developed a drug capable of sweeping away abnormal protein clumps in the brain which are a hallmark of Alzheimer’s disease.

Lead author Sara DeVos said scientists saw an improvement in their condition. “So these mice die earlier than normal. So when we treat with our drug, the mice live longer and we can also prevent neurons from dying. So if we give this drug, the neurons will no longer die as a result of these tau bundles,” said DeVos The investigators also tested the compound in monkeys and saw positive results.

Human testing expected soon

Antisense oligneucleotide targets the genetic instructions for building tau. The molecule binds to messenger RNA, which carries out the DNA blueprint for life, preventing tau from being produced. The drug can be made to target RNA for destruction of any protein, said scientists. Tim Miller, a professor of neurology at Washington University and senior author of the study, hopes the drug, developed with Ionis Pharmaceuticals, will soon be tested in humans with Alzheimer’s disease. “The most exciting and most interesting ... is to apply this to people who we presume have abnormal tau to test the hypothesis whether lowering tau in those people will be of benefit to those people,” he said.

Patients with Alzheimer's and dementia are seen during a therapy session. Alzheimer's afflicts an estimated 44 million people around the world.

Other types of antisense oligoneucleotides have been approved by U.S. regulators and are being used to treat the neurodegenerative disease muscular dystrophy and spinal muscular atrophy. The compound is in clinical trials for Huntington’s disease and ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. Because tau deposits are only a piece of the puzzle that causes Alzheimer’s, the investigators envision using the drug with other treatments, also in development. There is no cure for Alzheimer’s disease, which primarily strikes senior adults, leading to a decline in mental functioning and eventually death.

http://www.voanews.com/a/protein-swe...g/3692736.html

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if this drug would also be effective for treating Lewy body disorder? That's what Robin Williams (supposedly) had and what my late father in law was diagnosed with. It, too, results in the formation of protein "bodies" in the brain.

Looks like positive news so far.

Fingers crossed.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (03-07-2018),waltky (01-26-2017)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Don't give yer Granny Liquid Laundry Detergent Pods - she might think it's candy...

Liquid Laundry Detergent Pods Pose Lethal Risk for Adults With Dementia
    June 15, 2017 - One day last May, an 87-year-old woman named Edith was rushed to the hospital in a small Texas town after she was found slumped over and unresponsive at the home where she lived with her son and daughter-in-law. The woman, who suffered from dementia, had eaten two liquid laundry detergent packets. She died two days later.
    Edith’s is one of eight deaths related to ingesting liquid laundry packets in the U.S. between 2012 and early 2017 that have been reported to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Two of the cases were young children and six were adults with dementia. “Caregivers and children of seniors should be aware that ingestion of the contents of certain liquid laundry packets has led to serious and even tragic incidents,” says Patty Davis, press secretary for the CPSC. “Water, wet hands, and even saliva can dissolve the packets and release the highly concentrated liquid.”

Liquid laundry detergent packets are squishy like playthings and colorful like candy, which helps explain why children can be drawn to them. Not long after Tide Pods debuted in a television commercial during the Academy Awards in 2012, promoting a new product category, Consumer Reports began calling on manufacturers to make liquid packets safer. CR’s advice to consumers has been to keep laundry packets out of households where children under 6 years old may be present. And although some manufacturers have made some changes to the packaging and the product itself, pods continue to pose serious health risks. Now it’s clear that kids aren’t the only vulnerable population.

Consumer Reports learned about the pod-related deaths through a Freedom of Information Act request that we filed earlier this year with the CPSC. (CR discovered Edith's name through further reporting but chose to withhold her last name in the interest of her family’s privacy.) According to the information we received from the CPSC, Edith had seemed fine during lunch, just a few hours before she was found. The first clues as to what happened came when her daughter-in-law returned home from the hospital to collect a few things. She found that the pungent smell of laundry detergent filled Edith’s bedroom, and a new container of liquid laundry detergent packets had been opened. Several of the pink pods were missing. Edith, who had been known to mistake objects for candy, had eaten them. The medical examiner ruled her death an accident; ingestion of laundry detergent was listed as the cause.

Six of the eight deaths, including Edith's, involved pods manufactured by Procter & Gamble, according to the CPSC reports. P&G’s laundry packets are the industry's biggest sellers, with its Tide Pods and sibling brands representing 79 percent of the market, according to IRI, a Chicago-based market research firm. “We are aware of accidental ingestions related to our liquid laundry pacs among adults with previously diagnosed dementia,” Elizabeth Kinney, P&G’s senior communications manager for North America fabric care, told CR. “We are deeply saddened by this and have taken action to understand and help prevent these types of incidents.” Sales of laundry pods totaled $1.2 billion over a recent 12-month period, according to IRI, and accounted for 17 percent of all laundry detergent sales.

Reported Cases

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waltky For This Useful Post:

resister (06-16-2017),Trumpster (06-20-2017)

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Trumpster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 345x in 251 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnity View Post
    I have heard there is research suggesting NOT eating meat contributes to Alzheimer's.
    I have read the opposite. Red meat, for example, is rich in heme iron which can accumulate in the brain. Excess iron can create free radicals in the brain, thereby damaging neurons. On the other hand, we can get all the iron we need from such foods as dark leafy greens and beans. Iron from plant foods is called non-heme iron and will not accumulate to reach excess levels in the brain. Excess amounts of non-heme iron will simply be disposed of. High levels of copper can likewise be a problem.

Perhaps what you were referring to is a deficiency of iron. But a healthy variety of plant foods should not lead to deficiency.

Search: New Study Links Excess Iron With Alzheimer's Disease

Also, you can read about this in the following book: 100 Simple Things You Can Do To Prevent Alzheimer's And Age Related Dementia
    Last edited by Trumpster; 06-17-2017 at 04:45 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpster For This Useful Post:

waltky (06-17-2017)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

When Granny gets cranky, Uncle Ferd shows her ol' folks home brochures...

What It's Like Being the Long-Distance Caregiver of a Parent with Dementia
    June 20, 2017 - I am my mom's primary caregiver, but I cannot be with her all the time, which adds a lot of responsibility and stress to my life. My mom has dementia. She lives in her own apartment in Hilton Head, SC, within a complex for seniors where aides come to check on her between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.
    They make sure she is taking her medication, showering, and eating properly. I live with my husband in Massachusetts and my daughter and her family live near my mom. My daughter visits her often-sometimes to check on her but mostly to take her out to dinner or the park so her kids can spend quality time with their GiGi. Fully trusting and relying on someone else to take care of my mom, even someone in the family, is tough. Each month I make it a point to write or talk to the head nurse of the complex to set up my mom's doctors' appointments, review her grocery bills, and plan her weekly activities. But once I hang up, I have to trust that someone else is taking care of things and that my mom is safe because when I call and ask my mom if she ate lunch or went to the dentist when she was supposed to, her response is always "I don't know," or worse, "no."

Caregiving from 1,000 miles away has its challenges.

About two years ago, I had to have a heartfelt conversation with my mom to tell her she couldn't go to her singing group anymore and needed an aide to help her on a daily basis. It was a challenging conversation to say the least. My mother loves to sing. For years, she sang with a choir in Hilton Head. But one day, she went to the wrong place for practice. Then I got a call from another singer in the group saying my mom's hygiene was bad, as if she hadn't showered in days. I was miles away at home, but I knew I needed to fly down to South Carolina and check on my mom. This is when I realized that she was beginning to struggle with signs of dementia. We sat in the car to have this conversation like I used to do with my daughter-they can't walk away, they have to listen. I put my hand on her shoulder and I didn't cry. I'm a crier but I was determined to have her understand why she needed the help a senior facility would provide. Since I was only visiting for a brief time during a break from my job as a junior high school teacher, I had to accomplish so much. My life as well as my mother's was becoming a little more complex.

We have journeyed through the adjustment period. Since then she's settled into her life in her new apartment with the help of her aides. We talk regularly, but the changes I notice in her tend to upset me. When I was a kid, my mom was president of the PTO and now it can be too difficult for her to go to activities in her senior complex-she wouldn't remember what time, where to go, or what to wear. It's hard to see her less vibrant than I'm used to. She spends a lot of time sitting alone in her apartment. By going to caregiver meetings, talking with other caregivers, and reading articles, I learned how to have a relationship with my mom on a far different level than it had ever been. Before I call her, I write down a list of what we could talk about since she never has much to say. I also like to zone in on her lucid moments-if she tells me a story about her uncle or why she likes a certain tomato salad, I try to write it down. The good news is that I have the chance to build a new type of relationship with her, when so many of my friends don't have their mom around anymore. I feel happier and relieved since I altered the way I deal with my mom and think about the shift in our relationship.

Now that I'm 58 and retired, I bought a condo in Hilton Head and stay down there for longer periods of time, a month or more. That's part of the reason why I decided to retire. I can spend more than a few days in South Carolina and take my mom to appointments as well as spend some quality fun time with her. On my most recent visit, we went out to dinner twice, saw a show, and went to the movies. An aide curled my mom's hair, helped her pick out a skirt, and even put a spritz of perfume on. Being there makes it easier for us both. I can see that she has good days when she'll tell me about my grandson's visit and a concert she saw. And when I leave, I can't think about how she's possibly sitting in her apartment all alone, like I tend to imagine. I know she is safe and that I have to let go of my guilt for not being there and trust the people who care for her.

The most important thing I've learned is that my mom just wants to be treated with respect and dignity; just like she always did. Nothing had changed really, except how I act and react to her. I still need to be the strong-handed, in-charge person many times. I have also changed my tone of voice and the way I word what needs to be said when speaking important themes to her. In a few years, my husband and I hope to move down to South Carolina full time, which I'm sure will create new obstacles and teach me new lessons. My mom and I have both come to an understanding of what our roles are to be. I am the daughter but caregiver who makes decisions that keep her safe and presumably happy. When I am down there, she likes it because "I can do the thinking for her." She is the person who is trying to grasp this new way of having to think, act, and, react to her life.

I have learned to recognize when I need to step away, have some alone time, and especially reach out to others for support. I need to give myself permission to be me in order to be there for her.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-bein...170147236.html

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Granny gonna start usin' olive oil to fry chicken...

Study: Olive Oil Protects Brain From Alzheimer’s
    June 22, 2017 - The benefits of a Mediterranean diet are widely chronicled, but new research shows extra-virgin olive oil, a key part of the diet, may protect “against cognitive decline.”
    Specifically, researchers at Temple University in Philadelphia say extra-virgin olive oil “protects memory and learning ability and reduces the formation of amyloid-beta plaques and neurofibrillary tangles in the brain – classic markers of Alzheimer's disease.” Researcher say olive oil reduced inflammation and triggers a process called autophagy, which helps broken down cells to flush intracellular debris and toxins. This includes amyloid plaques and tau tangles, the latter of which is associated with memory loss in Alzheimer’s. “Brain cells from mice fed diets enriched with extra-virgin olive oil had higher levels of autophagy and reduced levels of amyloid plaques and phosphorylated tau,” said senior investigator Domenico Praticò.

For their study, the researchers looked at mice with three traits of Alzheimer’s: memory impairment, amyloid plaques, and neurofibrillary tangles. The mice were put into two groups, one group got a diet enriched with extra-virgin olive oil, while the other group received a normal diet. The olive oil was given to the mice when they were only six months old and before any symptoms of Alzheimer’s set in. While there was no difference in the appearance of the mice, at age 9 months and 12 months, the mice in the olive oil group “performed significantly better on tests designed to evaluate working memory, spatial memory, and learning abilities.”

Olive oil, according to a new study, could help stave off Alzheimer's disease.

An analysis of the brain tissue of the mice revealed more differences. “One thing that stood out immediately was synaptic integrity,” Praticò said. The integrity of the connections between neurons, known as synapses, were preserved in animals on the extra-virgin olive oil diet. In addition, compared to mice on a regular diet, brain cells from animals in the olive oil group showed a dramatic increase in nerve-cell autophagy activation, which ultimately was responsible for the reduction in levels of amyloid plaques and phosphorylated tau.”

Next, researchers plan to see what happens to mice who are given olive oil at 12 months, when they are already showing symptoms. “Usually when a patient sees a doctor for suspected symptoms of dementia, the disease is already present,” Praticò added. “We want to know whether olive oil added at a later time point in the diet can stop or reverse the disease.” The study was published online June 21 in the Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology.

https://www.voanews.com/a/mht-olive-...y/3911487.html

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Granny does crossword puzzles fer brain exercise...

Researchers identify first brain training exercise positively linked to dementia prevention
    Nov. 16, 2017 - Aging research specialists have identified, for the first time, a form of mental exercise that can reduce the risk of dementia.
    The cognitive training, called speed of processing, showed benefits up to 10 years after study participants underwent the mental exercise program, said Frederick W. Unverzagt, PhD, professor of psychiatry at Indiana University School of Medicine. The proportion of participants who underwent the training and later developed dementia was significantly smaller than among those who received no cognitive training, the researchers said. There were measurable benefits even though the amount of training was small and spread out over time: 10 one-hour sessions over six weeks initially and up to eight booster sessions after that. "We would consider this a relatively small dose of training, a low intensity intervention. The persistence – the durability of the effect was impressive," said Dr. Unverzagt, who explains more in a Q&A blog post. Results from the Advanced Cognitive Training in Vital Elderly – ACTIVE – study of 2,802 older adults were recently reported in Alzheimer & Dementia Translational Research and Clinical Interventions, a peer-reviewed journal of the Alzheimer's Association.

The researchers, from IU, the University of South Florida, Pennsylvania State University and Moderna Therapeutics, examined healthy adults aged 65 years and older from multiple sites and who were randomly assigned to one of four treatment groups:

Participants who received instructions and practice in strategies to improve memory of life events and activities.
    Participants who received instruction and practice in strategies to help with problem solving and related issues.
    Participants who received computer-based speed of processing exercises – exercises designed to increase the amount and complexity of information they could process quickly.
    A control group whose members did not participate in any cognitive training program.

Initial training consisted of 10 sessions lasting about an hour, over a period of five to six weeks. A subset of participants who completed least 80 percent of the first round of training sessions were eligible to receive booster training, which consisted of four 60 to 75-minute sessions 11 months and 35 months following the initial training. Participants were assessed immediately after training and at one, two, three, five and 10 years after training. After attrition due to death and other factors, 1,220 participants completed the 10-year follow-up assessment. During that time, 260 participants developed dementia. The risk of developing dementia was 29 percent lower for participants in speed of processing training than for those who were in the control group, a statistically significant difference. Moreover, the benefits of the training were stronger for those who underwent booster training. While the memory and reasoning training also showed benefits for reducing dementia risk, the results were not statistically significant. Dr. Unverzagt noted that the speed of processing training used computerized "adaptive training" software with touch screens. Participants were asked to identify objects in the center of the screen, while also identifying the location of briefly appearing objects in the periphery. The software would adjust the speed and difficulty of the exercises based on how well participants performed.

In contrast the memory and reasoning programs used more traditional instruction and practice techniques as might occur in a classroom setting. Earlier studies had shown that ACTIVE cognitive training improved participants' cognitive abilities and the ease of engaging in activities of daily living five and 10 years after the initial training. However, an examination of the role of ACTIVE cognitive training on dementia incidence was not significant after five years of follow-up. The ACTIVE study was supported by grants from the National Institute of Nursing Research (U01 NR04508, U01 NR04507) and the National Institute on Aging (U01 AG14260, U01 AG 14282, U01 AG 14263, U01 AG14289, U01 AG 014276). The newly reported analyses of the impact on dementia were supported by the Indiana Alzheimer Disease Center (P30AG10133) and the Cognitive and Aerobic Resilience for the Brain Trial (R01 AG045157). In addition to Dr. Unverzagt, researchers involved in the study were first author Jerri D. Edwards of the University of South Florida, Huiping Xu and Daniel O. Clark of IU School of Medicine, Lin T. Guey of Moderna Therapeutics of Cambridge, Mass., and Lesley A. Ross of the Pennsylvania State University.

http://news.medicine.iu.edu/releases...evention.shtml

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Uncle Ferd says Granny gettin' goofier as she gets older...

Dementia Set to Triple in Next 30 Years as Global Population Ages
    December 07, 2017 — The World Health Organization warns the number of people living with dementia globally will triple from 50 million to 152 million by 2050. WHO is launching a global monitoring system on dementia, which will track progress and identify areas of concern.

The WHO reports dementia exacts a huge social and economic burden, one that will grow as people age and succumb to this mental illness. The agency estimates five percent of the world’s older population suffers from dementia and is in need of care. Belying common belief, WHO says this is not mainly a problem of rich countries as dementia also affects people living in poorer countries.

The health agency says the cost of caring for dementia patients today is $818 billion or one percent of the world’s Gross Domestic Product. Tarun Dua is a medical officer in WHO’s Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse. She says this economic cost will be more than $2 trillion by 2030. “Moreover, there is stigma, human rights violations associated with people with dementia and their caregivers," said Dua. "And, therefore, it is imperative that we have a public health response. An important step that has been taken by all member States has been endorsing an action plan on dementia this year.”

[center]

Kim Mueller, left, administers a test to Alan Sweet, in which he describes an illustration, as part of a University of Wisconsin-Madison study on dementia
    She says the plan focuses on caring for people who have dementia, on preventing and on finding a cure for this illness. She says raising awareness of this problem is essential. “Many people consider that dementia is a normal part of ageing, which is not true," said Dua. "We need to think about risking, preventing dementia because the risk factors for dementia are the same for communicable diseases. So, good exercise, good diet, no tobacco, decreasing alcohol, all of this can decrease the risk of dementia.”

Along with this, she says elderly people who suffer from depression should receive treatment for this malady. She says social inclusion and cognitive exercise are other strategies that should be employed to reduce the risk of dementia.

https://www.voanews.com/a/demntia-se...s/4153450.html
    Last edited by waltky; 12-08-2017 at 08:03 PM.

+ Reply to Thread