User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Baltimore Police Union Says It’s In Desperate Need Of Staffing

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 1,850
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,450x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    Many people make this claim that police salaries are low. Every police department I have seen pays quite well.
    The BSc degree that I am working on right now is mainly for law enforcement (specializing in counterterrorism, though, and I'm planning on graduate school in 2018). We frequently have seminars and information sent to us regarding jobs. Nobody wants the jobs of policemen, probation officer or correctional officer even those are the three main jobs for CJ majors. Everyone wants to attend the FBI job seminars. Personally, if I decided to stick with CJ I would be interested in the U.S. Marshalls but I'm not planning on staying in this field or only getting the minimum education of a bachelor's.

It's been made pretty clear that pay for the three main fields (police, probation, correctional) is about as bad as it is for teachers, but will vary by state and city and so forth. Still, it's not the $80,000 to $120,000/year you could make as a special agent with a federal agency. Also, the structure of metro police is a pain in the ass if you want to be promoted. The training and probation process is also a pain in the ass.

Just not worth it, unless you have no other choice or feel very passionately about it.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,545x in 55,965 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    The BSc degree that I am working on right now is mainly for law enforcement (specializing in counterterrorism, though, and I'm planning on graduate school in 2018). We frequently have seminars and information sent to us regarding jobs. Nobody wants the jobs of policemen, probation officer or correctional officer even those are the three main jobs for CJ majors. Everyone wants to attend the FBI job seminars. Personally, if I decided to stick with CJ I would be interested in the U.S. Marshalls but I'm not planning on staying in this field or only getting the minimum education of a bachelor's.

It's been made pretty clear that pay for the three main fields (police, probation, correctional) is about as bad as it is for teachers, but will vary by state and city and so forth. Still, it's not the $80,000 to $120,000/year you could make as a special agent with a federal agency. Also, the structure of metro police is a pain in the ass if you want to be promoted. The training and probation process is also a pain in the ass.

Just not worth it, unless you have no other choice or feel very passionately about it.

It's in that pay range here. I was doing pretty well and I did not work overtime unless it was mandatory.

Also, I didn't find the training and probationary phase especially bothersome. On probation I kept a low profile and did not make waves. The academy was a pain, but that's because I had to commute through Seattle traffic daily. That was horrible.

I didn't know of anyone who went into LE because they had no other choice. Now, some went into corrections because they could not make it in law enforcement for a number of reasons. But corrections is not law enforcement and if course their pay is lower.
    Last edited by Tahuyaman; 06-23-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cannons Front's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,150x in 2,896 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pay is fairly poor and the risk is high (not necessarily that you'll be shot or something, but you're also at a much higher risk of heart disease or an MI). It is not an appealing profession for many people. People with the right education and experience want something different, like a federal agency or a higher paying private sector job.
    Maybe the pay is low in some small departments, but most Northern cities pay LEO pretty well, I know CPD starts starts around 60K and tops out a bit over 90. Plus whatever they make special duty.
    "The powers of the federal government are enumerated; it can only operate in certain cases; it has legislative powers on defined and limited objects, beyond which it cannot extend its jurisdiction." James Madison 1788

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,545x in 55,965 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannons Front View Post
    Maybe the pay is low in some small departments, but most Northern cities pay LEO pretty well, I know CPD starts starts around 60K and tops out a bit over 90. Plus whatever they make special duty.
    Here some of the smaller cities pay significantly more than Seattle.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 1,850
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,450x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    It's in that pay range here. I was doing pretty well and I did not work overtime unless it was mandatory.

Also, I didn't find the training and probationary phase especially bothersome. On probation I kept a low profile and did not make waves. The academy was a pain, but that's because I had to commute through Seattle traffic daily. That was horrible.

I didn't know of anyone who went into LE because they had no other choice. Now, some went into corrections because they could not make it in law enforcement for a number of reasons. But corrections is not law enforcement and if course their pay is lower.
    Like I said, varies based on location but the pay doesn't make all the $#@! that comes with it worth it unless you really want to be a police officer. Working with the federal government pays more and there are some pretty nice benefits, like their health insurance.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,571x in 36,510 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Like I said, varies based on location but the pay doesn't make all the $#@! that comes with it worth it unless you really want to be a police officer. Working with the federal government pays more and there are some pretty nice benefits, like their health insurance.
    That too depends on the location. It's a pretty good job in my town and in all the other suburbs like it. They are highly political jobs too. It's just like getting into a trade union.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    Cops are among the most protected people in society. There was never a war on police.
    I absolutely totally disagree
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,626x in 14,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    This is the result of Obama/Lynchs war on police and their collusion with Marily Mobley to falsely accuse and try 6 Police officers in Baltimore.

The Baltimore police has stepped back ever since. Officers are transfering out of Baltimore in droves. Police Officers can transfer to other depts keep their pensions and their time of service for retirement. ANY other PD gladly takes trained and experienced officers. From the big urban areas to smaller suburbs they may take cuts in pay that are tolerable especially in light of the no more politics or far less politics and a MUCH less stressful job.

The Baltimore Police union warned that the department is “critically” understaffed as the city works to contain a surge in criminal activity.

“It’s time for action,” Gene Ryan, President of the Baltimore City Fraternal Order of Police said in a statement Wednesday. “We cannot sit back and continue to allow a surging crime rate destroy the good work our police officers and law abiding citizens have accomplished in years prior.”

Ryan said that the department cannot hire enough officers to catch up with those that leave, according to Fox Baltimore. He accused the city of failing to manage the department and called out local leaders for failing to address a spike in crime.
    “I really have a problem with elected officials being silent with what’s going on in the streets of Baltimore right now, I mean we have bodies dropping on a daily basis,” Ryan told Fox Baltimore.
    Baltimore’s 162 homicides in 2017 is an all-time record for the first six months of the year. Pressure is mounting on Police Commissioner Kevin Davis as the spike in homicides grip the Charm City.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/22/ba...d-of-staffing/

http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/22/ba...d-of-staffing/
    No one wants to become a "rough rider?"

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    AeonPax's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,101x in 1,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    The same basis of truth regarding all races, or just dindus?
    `
    If you are referring to the colloquialism; "black crime", yes.
    `

Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Police Pay varies by state and local municipality. NYC pays more than Philly and Chicago but less than LA

In fla the police are very much underpaid, they are mostly county Sheriff Deputies except for the bigger cities like miami and talahasse
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

+ Reply to Thread