Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,225x in 2,708 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generics and store brands can be very useful

I have found (thankfully!) that it is not necessary to pay top dollar for pharmaceuticals in order to get top-notch results.

A few years ago, I fractured my left leg in several places. I really did not do anything to cause it; I simply got out of bed one morning, and, upon standing up, my leg suddenly crumbled.

An ambulance took me to the hospital, where I stayed for four days. A cast was placed over my leg.

Several months later, my doctor urged me to have a DEXA scan (which is, basically, just doctor-speak for an X-ray of the bones). The scan revealed the presence of "osteopenia," which my doctor described as a way station, on the way to full-blown osteoporosis.

She prescribed Fosomax tablets, plus over-the-counter calcium plus vitamin D.

Since then, I have been receiving generic Fosomax (more precisely known as alendronate sodium) from my mail-order provider, which I take once a week; and store-brand calcium plus vitamin D from Walmart, which I take twice a day, six days a week (but not on Sunday, when I take the generic Fosomax, as they interact badly with each other).

The result?

When I recently had another DEXA scan, the result was superb. My doctor informed me that the osteopenia had not only been arrested, but reversed! There is no remaining trace of it.

Like I said, no need to pay top dollar in order to receive excellent results...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (11-09-2012),Captain Obvious (11-08-2012),oceanloverOH (11-08-2012),waltky (11-09-2012)