exotix's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,534x in 7,660 Posts
    Mentioned
    951 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear the Supreme Court is taking up a Bill to allow voter-suppression ... what would be the equitable compromise ?

I'm so proud it's coming from my state ... the birthplace of voting rights ...

Supreme Court Review Puts Voting Rights Act in Jeopardy After Election Proves Its Necessity

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/doug-k...b_2104648.html

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2...ghts-case?lite

Agreeing to hear another important case on race in America, the Supreme Court said Friday it will take up a battle over a key part of the landmark Voting Rights Act. Civil rights groups fear the court will use this case to gut the law.

Passed by Congress in 1965 and renewed four times since then, most recently in 2006, a key provision requires states with a history of discrimination at the polls to get federal permission before making any changes to election procedures -- from redrawing congressional district boundaries to changing the locations of polling places.

The law was at the core of the legal cases this year blocking strict new voter ID laws in Texas and South Carolina.

Shelby County, Ala., claims the pre-clearance requirement -- which currently covers nine entire states, 12 cities and 57 counties elsewhere -- is unconstitutional.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to exotix For This Useful Post:

PatriotNews (11-09-2012)