midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who want to know about these topics, two books excel. 'Dark Money' and 'Strangers in their own Land'

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...their-own-land
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27833494-dark-money

Dark Money is a deep dive, long and detailed, it gives you the players and their reasons, Stranger is more grounded in the human factors.

See page 8 quote below from 'Stranger'.

"Inspired by Thomas Frank's book What's the Matter with Kansas?, I began my five-year journey to the heart of the American right carrying with me, as if it were a backpack, a great paradox. Back in 2004, when Frank's book appeared, there was a paradox underlying the right-left split. Since then the split has become a gulf.

Across the country, red states are poorer and have more teen mothers, more divorce, worse health, more obesity, more trauma-related deaths, more low-birth-weight babies, and lower school enrollment. On average, people in red states die five years earlier than people in blue states. Indeed, the gap in life expectancy between Louisiana (75.7) and Connecticut (80.8) is the same as that between the United States and Nicaragua. Red states suffer more in another highly important but little-known way, one that speaks to the very biological self-interest in health and life: industrial pollution.

Louisiana is an extreme example of this paradox. The Measure of America, a report of the Social Science Research Council, ranks every state in the United States on its "human development." Each rank is based on life expectancy, school enrollment, educational degree attainment, and median personal earnings. Out of the 50 states, Louisiana ranked 49th and in overall health ranked last. According to the 2015 National Report Card, Louisiana ranked 48th out of 50 in eighth-grade reading and 49th out of 50 in eighth-grade math. Only eight out of ten Louisianans have graduated from high school, and only 7 percent have graduate or professional degrees. According to the Kids Count Data Book, compiled by the Annie E. Casey Foundation, Louisiana ranked 49th out of 50 states for child well-being. And the problem transcends race; an average black in Maryland lives four years longer, earns twice as much, and is twice as likely to have a college degree as a black in Louisiana. And whites in Louisiana are worse off than whites in Maryland or anywhere else outside Mississippi. Louisiana has suffered many environmental problems too: there are nearly 400 miles of low, flat, subsiding coastline, and the state loses a football field-size patch of wetland every hour. It is threatened by rising sea levels and severe hurricanes, which the world's top scientists connect to climate change.

Given such an array of challenges, one might expect people to welcome federal help. In truth, a very large proportion of the yearly budgets of red states-in the case of Louisiana, 44 percent-do come from federal funds; $2,400 is given by the federal government per Louisianan per year. "
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,429x in 54,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkloaf View Post
    Um...

1. You misunderstood me. I said the Koch brothers have a biased opinion on climate change, and they are funneling all kinds of money into campaigns--thanks to "Citizens United", which was decided by a CONSERVATIVE court.

2. There is plenty of science on climate change. The only politics in the debate emanate from the far right, as I have just explained.

3. I like making numbered points.
    Ah, ok, sure they do, but so does everyone else. And how the government makes treaties and laws and rules based on biased opinion is beyond me. Feels good?

Yes, there's lots of science on clinate change, but the debate is not done, and the debate covers more than science.

No, the political debate is between deniers and alarmists.

Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,429x in 54,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    For those who want to know about these topics, two books excel. 'Dark Money' and 'Strangers in their own Land'

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...their-own-land
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27833494-dark-money

Dark Money is a deep dive, long and detailed, it gives you the players and their reasons, Stranger is more grounded in the human factors.

See page 8 quote below from 'Stranger'.

"Inspired by Thomas Frank's book What's the Matter with Kansas?, I began my five-year journey to the heart of the American right carrying with me, as if it were a backpack, a great paradox. Back in 2004, when Frank's book appeared, there was a paradox underlying the right-left split. Since then the split has become a gulf.

Across the country, red states are poorer and have more teen mothers, more divorce, worse health, more obesity, more trauma-related deaths, more low-birth-weight babies, and lower school enrollment. On average, people in red states die five years earlier than people in blue states. Indeed, the gap in life expectancy between Louisiana (75.7) and Connecticut (80.8) is the same as that between the United States and Nicaragua. Red states suffer more in another highly important but little-known way, one that speaks to the very biological self-interest in health and life: industrial pollution.

Louisiana is an extreme example of this paradox. The Measure of America, a report of the Social Science Research Council, ranks every state in the United States on its "human development." Each rank is based on life expectancy, school enrollment, educational degree attainment, and median personal earnings. Out of the 50 states, Louisiana ranked 49th and in overall health ranked last. According to the 2015 National Report Card, Louisiana ranked 48th out of 50 in eighth-grade reading and 49th out of 50 in eighth-grade math. Only eight out of ten Louisianans have graduated from high school, and only 7 percent have graduate or professional degrees. According to the Kids Count Data Book, compiled by the Annie E. Casey Foundation, Louisiana ranked 49th out of 50 states for child well-being. And the problem transcends race; an average black in Maryland lives four years longer, earns twice as much, and is twice as likely to have a college degree as a black in Louisiana. And whites in Louisiana are worse off than whites in Maryland or anywhere else outside Mississippi. Louisiana has suffered many environmental problems too: there are nearly 400 miles of low, flat, subsiding coastline, and the state loses a football field-size patch of wetland every hour. It is threatened by rising sea levels and severe hurricanes, which the world's top scientists connect to climate change.

Given such an array of challenges, one might expect people to welcome federal help. In truth, a very large proportion of the yearly budgets of red states-in the case of Louisiana, 44 percent-do come from federal funds; $2,400 is given by the federal government per Louisianan per year. "

Uh, midcan, the topic is climate change.

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,599x in 25,152 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been reading articles like these for my Research and Composition for Change course. It baffles me how conservatives are not exactly ignorant, but they embrace the idea that their candidates are bought by corporations, because they think it is the only way to save their ideology.
    What is a "Research and Composition for Change" course? Please explain. Like many on here, I have taken quite a bit of formal education classes and I've never heard of such a course.

So you know, and you'll probably hear about this in one of your upcoming Poli-Sci courses -- all candidates are 'bought by corporations'; and, conservatives don't hold an exclusive license on ignorance.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Chris (07-11-2017)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    spunkloaf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 807x in 609 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    What is a "Research and Composition for Change" course? Please explain. Like many on here, I have taken quite a bit of formal education classes and I've never heard of such a course.

So you know, and you'll probably hear about this in one of your upcoming Poli-Sci courses -- all candidates are 'bought by corporations'; and, conservatives don't hold an exclusive license on ignorance.
    It is a writing-intensive class.

The course description:
    This course teaches you how to write a research paper whose process includes engaging in multiple group settings, both online and in class. Some sections have particular topics, such as "Race, Gender and Identity," and other sections allow you to choose your own topic, subject to the instructor's approval. All sections teach valuable research methods and online writing practices. You will find, analyze and synthesize information from diverse multi-modal sources, and write reasoned, detailed research papers with properly cited sources.

Also, you're wearing out the argument that "But...But...The left wing does it too!"

I don't accept that. This is about republican corporations lining the pockets of republican candidates, and controlling the narrative for the good of their own wealth.

Start your own thread if you want to talk about liberal corporations.
    Faith can move mountains, but don't forget to bring your shovel.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    It is nice to know you can count to 3.
    I can also solve polynomials.

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,459
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,202x in 6,433 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a biased opinion, they have a huge interest in denying that climate change is real...because it means they have to do something about it.

They have spent hundreds of millions of dollars running campaigns to convince you that the government is just using climate change as an excuse to take your taxes, which is not true.
    Do something about an unfalsifiable alarmist hypothesis? LOL

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier8 View Post
    Do something about an unfalsifiable alarmist hypothesis? LOL
    Can you be more coherent please?

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,599x in 25,152 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a writing-intensive class.
    Sure it is. It is a social science class masquerading as a scholarly effort. No indoctrination there?

Also, you're wearing out the argument that "But...But...The left wing does it too!"
    I don't accept that. This is about republican corporations lining the pockets of republican candidates, and controlling the narrative for the good of their own wealth.Start your own thread if you want to talk about liberal corporations.
    Actually, I am not. My post was responsive. The fact that you don't want to face the truth is irrelevant. Both sides do what you are all exercised about the R's doing -- this is as old as politics.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (07-12-2017)

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,459
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,202x in 6,433 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you be more coherent please?
    Science, try it. If you can't understand what I wrote and there is not much to talk about.

+ Reply to Thread