User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Bus Driver and Aid Worker choke autistic boy on the school bus

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 2,123
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,448x in 11,738 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
    You should, I have worked in them. A lot of them it's just a paycheck and don't care about the elderly. I would never disrespect an elder or child.
    Honestly... most elder abuse is committed by family members, without a doubt in my mind. I work in healthcare and some of the stories I hear from the workers and nurses is enough to make me absolutely disgusted at society. Family members will leave their elderly family lying on the ground for hours after a fall, in soiled depends for 12 hours, they'll steal their pension money, they'll verbally and physically abuse them, and so on. They'll outright refuse to offer any assistance to their elderly family members to the point it's negligence.

Abuse by the actual healthcare workers does happen, but it's almost always the family that is perpetrating the abuse. To make matters worse, those family members often also abuse the healthcare workers with verbal abuse, negative claims about the workers, and more. These family members are experts at manipulation and do not care that their false accusations about workers could get them fired and charged and never hired again. I'd wager 95-99% of the claims against workers, (stealing, abuse, sleeping on the job, failing to follow the care plan, so on) turn out to be absolutely false and fabricated by the family for various reasons.

I understand that caring for your sick or elderly family member is immensely stressful but there is absolutely no excuse that is acceptable for things I hear and witness on a daily basis.

At any rate - I hope the family of the child in the OP sue the $#@! out of whomever was employing these two individuals, and also that they pursue criminal charges. The employees should be fired immediately.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

oceanloverOH (11-11-2012),roadmaster (11-11-2012)

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 146
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    GrassrootsConservative's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,273x in 3,200 Posts
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Honestly... most elder abuse is committed by family members, without a doubt in my mind. I work in healthcare and some of the stories I hear from the workers and nurses is enough to make me absolutely disgusted at society. Family members will leave their elderly family lying on the ground for hours after a fall, in soiled depends for 12 hours, they'll steal their pension money, they'll verbally and physically abuse them, and so on. They'll outright refuse to offer any assistance to their elderly family members to the point it's negligence.

Abuse by the actual healthcare workers does happen, but it's almost always the family that is perpetrating the abuse. To make matters worse, those family members often also abuse the healthcare workers with verbal abuse, negative claims about the workers, and more. These family members are experts at manipulation and do not care that their false accusations about workers could get them fired and charged and never hired again. I'd wager 95-99% of the claims against workers, (stealing, abuse, sleeping on the job, failing to follow the care plan, so on) turn out to be absolutely false and fabricated by the family for various reasons.

I understand that caring for your sick or elderly family member is immensely stressful but there is absolutely no excuse that is acceptable for things I hear and witness on a daily basis.

At any rate - I hope the family of the child in the OP sue the $#@! out of whomever was employing these two individuals, and also that they pursue criminal charges. The employees should be fired immediately.
    I'm taking care of my grandma (have been since February, and she's 94). It's a lot of work, but I could never do anything like that to her. She's cool as $#@!, her and my grandfather were owners of a motorcycle shop for like 50 years. It is stressful, and sometimes I do get upset, but I can't imagine how bad it would have to get for me to do that stuff.
    The scariest thing about it is waking up everyday and wondering if my grandma has passed on in her sleep. That gets to me sometimes, but it hasn't happened yet.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrassrootsConservative For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (11-11-2012),Captain Obvious (11-11-2012),oceanloverOH (11-11-2012),roadmaster (11-11-2012)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 2,123
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,448x in 11,738 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrassrootsConservative View Post
    I'm taking care of my grandma (have been since February, and she's 94). It's a lot of work, but I could never do anything like that to her. She's cool as $#@!, her and my grandfather were owners of a motorcycle shop for like 50 years. It is stressful, and sometimes I do get upset, but I can't imagine how bad it would have to get for me to do that stuff.
    The scariest thing about it is waking up everyday and wondering if my grandma has passed on in her sleep. That gets to me sometimes, but it hasn't happened yet.
    I think it's great you are taking care of your grandmother.

Part of the problem with the system is that elder abuse is hard to investigate. How do you interview a victim who has decreased cognitive function and can't even remember what they had for lunch? Cases of elder abuse with dementia or Alzheimer's patients can go on for years because the patient/client is not able to communicate what they've been through and the families are experts at manipulating the events and situation. It's incredibly sad.

+ Reply to Thread