User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Person most likely to murder a women? Her partner.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 2,023
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Person most likely to murder a women? Her partner.

Of more than 10,000 women killed between 2003 and 2014, the CDC found that 55 percent were murdered at the hand of a male partner. Previous research found that only 5 to 7 percent of male murder victims died at the hand of a romantic partner, as The Atlantic notes. The report also found that about a third of female victims killed by their partners had recently been in an argument with them, and that 15 percent of victims killed by their partners were pregnant. Most of the murders involved guns.

There’s a clear humanitarian case for keeping firearms out of the hands of domestic abusers, since domestic abusers frequently use those firearms to kill their partners, who are often women. But it’s tough to get society at large to demonstrate that it cares much for women as a population. It’s tougher still to get society at large to give a damn about marginalized women. (Black women, by the way, are most likely to be killed by current or former intimate partners.)

Hurting women isn’t just a leading indicator for killing women. Domestic abuse is a warning sign for a host of other types of violence, from terrorism to mass shootings. Quite simply, research is showing that spousal abuse isn’t a private matter that exists within the walls of a home. Leaving it unchecked is dangerous to society at large.
    The Person Most Likely to Murder a Woman? Her Romantic Partner.

This isn't very surprising, but I did find it interesting that the article proposes placing limits on known domestic abusers from obtaining firearms. Maybe it is already in place, but it's hard to convict a domestic abuser so they may manage to escape criminal charges that would show up on any background check. It would seem a violation of a person's rights to be placed on some kind of list as a possible threat based on previous medical records or whatever.

Anyways, this is one of the reasons I find the whole "GOP war on women" schtick to be nonsense. I would consider basic safety to trump reproductive rights on the priority list, and I am a fairly adamant pro-choice liberal.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crimes of Passion are some of the most intense violent and vicious
    Its an experience to hear someone whos done this tell you how much he loves her
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,039x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just spent three years involved in saving a young woman from her husband (Mrs. U's nephew). He brought this beautiful young woman from Poland, pregnant. We always thought that she was somewhat submissive. We always thought that he was a butthole. She wore long sleeves and long pants in 90 degree temperature and we thought that she dressed odd. One day, I was sitting at home and she called and wanted to know 'how to get charges against her husband dismissed'. Apparently, he threw her down the stairs and was kicking her in the front yard and she rant to the police. That started a three year battle for this woman and her children. She'd leave him, go into hiding, then go back. She'd leave him, go into hiding, then go back. She'd leave him, go into hiding, then go back. The Court took the three kids b/c of the violence they witnessed. I reached out to her family in Poland b/c I wanted to make sure they were aware and that the first time I met them wasn't at her funeral. We were being told by law enforcement that he'd kill her.

It took three years. Countless court orders. She is free and never going back. That beautiful confident young woman is slowly coming back. He's still a monster. Yes, I agree that this is true -- the partner is most likely to harm a woman.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (07-21-2017)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,517x in 14,777 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post

This isn't very surprising, but I did find it interesting that the article proposes placing limits on known domestic abusers from obtaining firearms. Maybe it is already in place, but it's hard to convict a domestic abuser so they may manage to escape criminal charges that would show up on any background check. It would seem a violation of a person's rights to be placed on some kind of list as a possible threat based on previous medical records or whatever.

Anyways, this is one of the reasons I find the whole "GOP war on women" schtick to be nonsense. I would consider basic safety to trump reproductive rights on the priority list, and I am a fairly adamant pro-choice liberal.

I'm pretty sure abuse is even higher among gay couples , including Lesbians. Perhaps they don't kill as often as male parnters percentage wise or perhaps the article deliberately ignored Lesbian abuse? I don't know.

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    AeonPax's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,101x in 1,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    `
    `

I'm not denying the content of these facts. However, if you break up these murders and assaults by race, a much different picture appears.
    `

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,135
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,379x in 15,848 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is already federal law that a person convicted of even a misdemeanor offense of domestic violence is prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm.

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Kalkin's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,788x in 2,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not surprising. Have you ever lived with a woman?

jk!
    "An army, great in space, may offer opposition in a brief span of time.
    One man, brief in space, must spread his opposition
    across a period of many years if he is
    to have a chance of succeeding"

~RZ67~

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That isn't terribly surprising

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,580x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, there is a law that strips gun rights from people who are convicted of domestic abuse. If the judge writes the decision correctly, it even applies with misdemeanors and “do not contact” orders.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,517x in 14,777 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Yes, there is a law that strips gun rights from people who are convicted of domestic abuse. If the judge writes the decision correctly, it even applies with misdemeanors and “do not contact” orders.
    I hope "do not contact orders" require more proof than "orders of protection". Which are meant as a temporary intervention until the court can rule, but often are not treated as such.

As for gun rights , the plain fact is a gun in the home should be a equalizer. Most hetro men and even many dominate lesbians don't need a gun if they really want to kill their partner

+ Reply to Thread