Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
Recieving funding from the government does not make it government run.

The App is similar to other apps that come with smartphones and encourages a lot of positive behaviors, such as eating healthy, spending smart/being frugal, taking x amount of steps per day, quitting smoking, so forth. This type of initiative is growing in popularity because it then promotes the user to spend money on things like going to the movies, retail shopping, and so on. For example, say I walk 5,000 steps every day for a month. I might get 500 Scene points, which is a point system that goes towards movie theatres. I use those 500 Scene points to pay for half a movie ticket and pay the other half. Not only am I taking literal steps to better health, but I am then spending those points as a consumer. There are many other point systems for everything imaginable - books, gas, air miles, certain retail chains, online stores, and whatever.

The government puts money into this program because healthier Canadians who make better lifestyles choices will, hopefully in the long run, result in reduced spending for things like lung cancer, COPD, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and other problems. Healthy/frugal spending promotion may mean less Canadians owe significant amounts of credit card debt.
No, but it does mean gobernment influenced. Always follow the money.