Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    That's not very accurate. The US has reduced immigration a few times, but never stopped it. They certainly didn't stop the mass immigration from Ireland and Germany in the mid to late 1800's.

They did try to stop Chinese and Japanese immigration in the late 1800's. They also passed laws in the early 20th century to curb immigration from the middle east.
    Legal Immigration LEGAL immigration in the 1800s through the early 1900s. Know something else, those immigrants got NOTHING from the govt, absolutely NOTHING, they paid for drs and hospital bills, they got no welfare, food stamps, housing and heating asst, they worked or starved. Oh one more thing, they WERE HERE LEGALLY and they were registered in ellis island as soon as they got here

There is no justification for allowing illegal immigration and the immense costs to the taxpayers at the expense of americans that need.

Im all for bussing them all to the canadian border
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

KathyS (08-10-2017)

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,097
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,103x in 10,785 Posts
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I'm not singling out Mexicans or Muslims. I have a beef with eastern and southern European immigrants as well. They tend to bring their old world baggage with them. It's one of the big reasons why the US insinuated itself into the world wars, because internationalists with old world loyalties still had an emotional connection to Europe. If you want an example of the complete destruction of basic American culture, just look at how heavily the government has insinuated itself into Eurasian affairs. That is 100% counter to what the founding fathers practiced and preached.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 511
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    KathyS's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,600x in 838 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Well, as you know, I'm generally pro-immigration, but I also acknowledge the reality of the homogenization of culture that sometimes results from it. Personally, I believe immigration policy should, like most things, be decided at the local level. That's how Switzerland does it, for example. You must be accepted by your community before you can become a citizen of Switzerland.
    My brother and his family have lived in Europe for 20+ years, and Basel, Switzerland for a majority of that time. The Swiss are very strict on immigration; so much so, that Muslims who have demanded separate times for females and males to have access to public pools, are quickly deported. Another example is when my niece graduated from high school, within 30 days the Swiss gov't sent a notification stating that if she was attending college elsewhere, her visa status would be changed to reflect this.

Additionally, the Swiss immigration system requires similar stipulations as the Trump plan: have a skill needed by our country, be self sufficient, and able to contribute to the country vs. a drain. IMO, Trump's plan puts Americans first.
    “Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured…but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. And now, any of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.”

Jim Hays

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KathyS For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (08-11-2017)

+ Reply to Thread