Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,300x in 4,607 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets get real about Fema

A 76 year old woman her house destroyed, FEMA offers her $1,700 dollars. That won't even fix one room. No flood insurance.

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,769
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mainecoons's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,437x in 4,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same old FEMA that handled Katrina.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mainecoons For This Useful Post:

roadmaster (11-12-2012)

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
    Exactly, I knew some that came here. Any water regardless if it was a tornado they will call it different. FEMA is a joke. Better have food insurance and then some insurance companies don't want to pay. You have to fight for anything.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
    "I'm from the government and I'm here to help"
    my junk is ugly

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

GrassrootsConservative (11-12-2012)

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Yep, she will have to move in with relatives or homeless shelter. Try not to spend all that money at once. Nice looking house too.

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,627
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    KC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,042x in 2,810 Posts
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Scary words.

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,631
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    patrickt's Avatar Senior Member
    Living in Oaxaca, Mexico, born in Memphis and worked in Colorado
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,009x in 3,481 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My home was flooded and I was one of three homes in the flooded neighborhood without flood insurance. I'd bought my house before it was mandatory. In the end, I collected on my homeowners insurance. Those with flood insurance got nothing. When I read the policy for the flood insurance it was a joke. Protected nothing below ground level, no contents at that time, but the killer for the neighborhood was it only protected you from water coming from a federally recognized waterway. Our flood was by water going to a federally recognized waterway.

My homeowners paid because the insurance had a clause that said if I had a sump pump and it failed I collected. My pump failed when we lost power. My neighbor, a minister who hated me, stormed over when he saw the insurance adjuster and demanded to know why he was there. I ignored his rudeness and explained about the sump pump. He ran out and bought a sump pump and the next day an insurance adjuster was at my door. "Your neighbor says you can tell me how longs he's had a sump pump." I looked at my watched and said, "About 18 hours." He didn't get covered and hated me even more.

If you have flood insurance, read the policy really well so you won't have an rude shocks should there be a flood. And, just keep in mind, the government is not your friend. Friend? They don't even like most of us.

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Cops: Man Sexually Assaults FEMA Inspector...

Homeowner in ‘sex assault’ on FEMA gal
    November 15, 2012 - During a check of his home for damage
    A Staten Island homeowner was arrested yesterday for allegedly sexually assaulting a FEMA inspector who was checking his house for storm damage, law-enforcement sources said. The inspector, a 49-year-old working for the government-contracting firm PB Disaster Services, had knocked on Robert Langshultz’s door in the Sandy-battered Midland Beach section on Monday afternoon.

Langshultz, of 895 Father Capodano Blvd., then allegedly pounced on the woman. He allegedly threw her against a wall, tried to kiss her and grabbed her breasts and buttocks. The woman broke free and later informed police, the sources said. The Staten Island Special Victims Unit picked up Langshultz, who is a contractor, early yesterday morning.

Langshultz, a 53-year-old contractor, was charged with sexual abuse and forcible touching. His arraignment is pending. “Unbelievable! It’s really ridiculous,” said a woman who identified herself as his sister. “My brother lost everything. He didn’t have nothing left.” His neighbors were shocked by the news. “He’s a great guy. Terrific, actually,” said one neighbor, who asked not to be named. “He’s a hard worker. He gets up at 4:30 in the morning everyday to go to work. He’s been dealing with the flood for the last two weeks,” he added.

MORE

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

No oversight over FEMA's Hurricane Maria response...

FEMA's response to Hurricane Maria won't get initial review under watchdog agency's new approach
    March 16, 2018 | WASHINGTON — With FEMA facing its deepest scrutiny in more than a decade, the government watchdog in charge of measuring the agency's performance is no longer assessing its initial response to disasters.
    The decision by the Department of Homeland Security's Office of Inspector General to no longer issue preliminary reports comes as the watchdog took the extraordinary step last week of pulling a dozen largely positive assessments of the Obama administration's initial response to several disasters. Acting DHS Inspector General John V. Kelly said the reports, pulled last week from the IG's web site, didn't meet proper standards for a government audit. "We were not confident that the evidence collected (in those reports) was necessary to support the conclusion," Kelly said in an interview Thursday. "It doesn't mean the conclusion was wrong (but) our standard is that it has to be adequately supported. You can't say something without having the evidence even if it's true."

The Federal Emergency Management Administration, or FEMA, is a division of the Department of Homeland Security. Instead of initial reports, the agency will adopt a model that provides "real-time feedback" to FEMA about its response to disasters based on observations on the ground rather than reviews that come out months after a recovery begins, Arlen Morales, a spokeswoman for the IG's office wrote in an email. "This work does not lend itself well to a traditional audit following Government Auditing Standards. Nevertheless, the work is critically important," she wrote. "By following standards that better suit the work, we can better accomplish the objective of the work— namely, to provide timely feedback to FEMA on issues before they become multi-million dollar problems."

The change means the watchdog won't be issuing a public assessment of FEMA's preliminary efforts to help Puerto Rico recover from Hurricane Maria, a devastating, category 4 storm that left much of the island without power and other basic necessities for months. Nearly 200,000 families and businesses in Puerto Rico — 16% of the U.S. territory — remain without power. The island faces a growing mental health crisis as people wrestle with their losses from the storm. And FEMA is answering tough questions about bungled contracts in its recovery effort.

MORE

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 764
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,510x in 14,774 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
    A 76 year old woman her house destroyed, FEMA offers her $1,700 dollars. That won't even fix one room. No flood insurance.
    The notion that a federal agency can be the first line of defense and main line of defense against disasters anywhere and everywhere is a sad sign of the times. Bigdaddy.gov can do it all, right? Wrong.
    FEMA should be a smaller and cheaper , support and logistics agency to support local , state and regional relief , NEVER calling the shots. Take Florida for example. Their weather creates a tourist economy so strong that they pay ZERO state income tax. In NY I pay up to 7 plus percent. Yet when that weather turns on Florida they have their hand out ( partly because money which would be better spent on their own disaster relief is taken from their citizens by the feds )
    However a 1% state income tax legally earmarked for disaster relief would probably take care of the issue, especially if the feds took less tax for a smaller program.

+ Reply to Thread